Carputer -vs- 07 Toyota Factory unit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carputer -vs- 07 Toyota Factory unit

I understand the concept. I do. I work on computers and networks for a living.

But, please answer me this..

My 07 Tundra has an 8" touch screen with blue tooth, nav, XM, touch screen, back up cameras, sonar, voice command, etc..

As a matter of fact, the NAV, in my area at least is the most detailed map set that anyone has seen from ANY commercially available unit.

My brand new Garmin doesn't have 20% of the detail that my Tundra does.

So, answer me this....

My FJ is in need of a audio / video upgrade.

Does anyone have a reason why they think I should pursue a carputer rather than just pulling a system directly from an 08 Tundra to put in the FJ?

I mean aside from internet?

I think for me the biggest attraction about carputer is that flexibility.
    1. Wifi, autosync musics/videos, having a large library.
    2. GPS map updates
    3. Mostly a fun hobby, expensive at times, and lots of headaches too.
    otherwise other units are quite up to par with carputer in terms of features, and a lot less headache, but keep in mind that factory units are usually around $2000, for that price, you can build one wicked carputer setup.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm looking at less than 1k for the factory unit. (slightly used of course)

But almost headache free.

Thanks for not taking it the wrong way, it like any other project. I don't want to get in to something that time consuming and expensive unless the cost / benefit ratio is in line with the effort.

Comment

I'm gearing up to replace my ride this winter and asking the same questions.

Factory units are pricey but the Pioneer and Alpine in dash gps/dvd systems are everything I'd want for about $1000.

Comment

I replied to this thread already but I got a message saying that it had to be reviewed by a moderator before it would be posted.

Comment

post approved
            Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

I just got done building my setup. I researched this for over a year asked questions and what not. My biggest benefit is my music and video library. To have access to your whole library without any adapter issues is great. I used my apple i pod for over a year and hated it. Finally bit the bullet and started to by the parts. Out the door finnished under $700. My setup does backup camera, video play back, movie play back, audio play back, and navigation.
              01 Burb
              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...-suburban.html

Comment

True, the Tundra system is awsome. However, as mentioned earlier, you don't have the flexability with that system. Cost and time are relative and usualy inversly perporsional. You can spend lots of money and save yourself lots of time. Inversly, you can spend little money and lots of time. Being that you work in computers for a living, you already have the knowledge to do the pc end of this. You might even have access to used components that can save you money. If not, you can easily do a cheap laptop install. Go on ebay and buy a used, possible non functioning 700-900 Mhz laptop for $50. Get it up and running and sell the screen and keyboard on ebay. Buy a lilliput monitor for $200. The only thing left is to figure out how you will get the lappys sound to your speakers. All the rest can be added later.

I think most of use do this for the unique outcome/flexibility. If you look through the show off your project section, most installs are done to "look" stock. However, there is nothing "stock" about building carputers. I get asked all the time, as most do I'm sure, why put a computer in a car? I say why not. I did it for myself. I got tired of changing CD's. I went to an indash dvd player. No flexibility there. Now I have thousands of songs at a touch screen press away. I have access to gps without another unit hanging on my dash. True the detail is not as good as yours. But how much detail is really needed? It gets me where I need to go. Plus, if I'm PO'ed, I can tell my puter to shut up, and unlike my wife, it does.
                I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet .

Comment

Originally posted by 55reasons View Post
                  Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm looking at less than 1k for the factory unit. (slightly used of course)

But almost headache free.

Thanks for not taking it the wrong way, it like any other project. I don't want to get in to something that time consuming and expensive unless the cost / benefit ratio is in line with the effort.
                  You could always keep the headunit you have and connect the PC to AUX in on the headunit (if it has AUX). Then maybe have another screen that controls the PC?
                  Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                  4X MK808b
                  3x Perixx Touchpads
                  3x 7 inch Screens
                  1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                  1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
                    You could always keep the headunit you have and connect the PC to AUX in on the headunit (if it has AUX). Then maybe have another screen that controls the PC?

Very valid concept!

Actually so simple I didn't even consider it!

lol!

Thanks!

Comment

See when you design a CarPC, most of use awkward logic. We assume that since the CarPC is complicated, that the install also has to be also. My install is so complicated its not even funny. Doing this for almost a year now (and still havent finished), I have learned that the easy way isnt always so bad. As long as it works, looks good, then thats all that matters. I dont know how the FJ looks, but I am sure there is room for another touchscreen.

I looked up some pix and hopefully you have the same model. It looks like Toyota went with a very clean design, the headunit is dead in the middle in the silver area.... maybe you can put the car pc screen at the bottom in the black area...... Only issue I see is that it may mess with the cup holder and bin. You may also have to relocate what ever those buttons are in the black area, i can see because the pix i found are so small.
                      Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                      4X MK808b
                      3x Perixx Touchpads
                      3x 7 inch Screens
                      1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Just be warned that installing a carpc is VERY addicting... especially if you like to tinker with things.

I would find it kind of hard to believe that anyone on this forum just installs there pc and doesn't mess around with it a couple times a month.

Comment

Originally posted by GiODi View Post
                          Just be warned that installing a carpc is VERY addicting... especially if you like to tinker with things.

I would find it kind of hard to believe that anyone on this forum just installs there pc and doesn't mess around with it a couple times a month.
                          im already thinking about installing one in my GF car
                          01 Burb
                          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...-suburban.html

Comment

I have the Sequoia 08 with NAV, etc. And I am going to build a carputer in it. The biggest problem is to find a room for the touchscreen, since I'm keeping the nav/headunit combo.

I can't live without my huge library of music videos, music and movies. It's the best and only reason for a carputer for me. All the extras are icing in the cake.
                            Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                            Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Working...
                            X