16 Year Old - 'Planning' Stage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 Year Old - 'Planning' Stage

Hey guys, just been looking for some research into CarPC's and come across this site, looks like u all have the same idea in mind as me, so i should pick up some valuble info.

Im pretty good on computers and not too bad with cars either, however, im not with the electrics side of things so thats where il be needing to improve on to set it up properly.

Im 17 in a few months so il be buying a car soon then i have a while to get a good setup in it before im actually driving it!

Well, i'll shut up now.. just thought id introduce myself
    In-dash Laptop Car Audio Setup.
    Est. Finish Time ... June 09 (Driving Test)

Planning - [■■■■■■■■■■] - 20%

Purchasing - [■■■■■■■■■■] - 20%

Install - [■■■■■■■■■■] - 0%

Fabrication - [■■■■■■■■■■] - 0%

Well, seeing as no one replied i'll give u abit more info!
    Im looking at buying a Ford Fiesta, and the CarPC setup im going to do is with a laptop. Its only simple, but should be a nice setup when its finished.

Ive just bought a new Toshiba Portege M200, this is a tablet laptop.

This is how i want it to look..
    - With a holder for the laptop mounted into the dash
    - With a docking station, to connect the laptop to the car audio setup, which will be tweeters, speakers + subs mounted around the car.

Any help on how to do this will be very appreciated, even though i dont have the car yet, as i want to get all the planning sorted before i start anything anyway.

The main things i need help on will be:
    - Learning/understanding electrics (e.g) what a DC/DC convertor is, and how to install it.
    - How to set up a Medium sized car audio system (about 4 tweeters, 6 speakers + 4 subs) and how to set up the amps for them.
    - How to fabricate the whole thing, or should i just get a professional in to do it?
    Attached Files

Comment

most of your questions are answered in the F.A.Q. section...

as for the fabrication, unless I'm misunderstanding your intentions, your installation will simply be a laptop sitting on the dashboard. if this is correct then the only fabrication that your install will require is a mount/bracket to secure the laptop to the dashboard. there aren't really any professionals for this type of thing.
      F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
      Fusion Carputer [2.0]
      Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

In your mockup, I'd be concerned about the laptop screen blocking enough of your view to be considered safe.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys..
          @ Fusion: about the fabrication, i mean for the audio setup mainly, heres a little preview of how i would like the boot to look -
          So this will need to be fabricated...

Edit: Also, thanks for the F.A.Q link.. ive found it very helpful .

@ DarquePervert: i didnt realise this. i will have to rethink where i can put it.. probably just move it further down the dash into the double-din space.

Comment

Since you are just mounting a laptop, you might want to look into a vehicle laptop mount like this. http://www.ram-mount.com/laptop_moun...aptop_desk.htm
            My old Worklog

Comment

Working...
            X