Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to power a PATA hard drive. That's it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need to power a PATA hard drive. That's it.

    Hi all. New to the forum. I have a 99 CRV and I want to stash a PATA hard drive in the lower console (the one that swings down) for MP3's. My stereo head unit has a USB port in the front in which I'll plug into. Nothing fancy here, except I want to know what's the best way to power the hard drive.

    I have an HD enclosure that'll take normal AC voltage. Should I take it apart (nice because I can mount it to an HD bracket that's mounted to the lower console) and use a small DC to DC ATX PSU ($30 or so) using only the PATA connectors to power it? Or should I just get an inverter ($30 or so, can get at Home depot) and reroute my cigarette lighter down there?

  • #2
    Originally posted by ruckerz View Post
    Hi all. New to the forum. I have a 99 CRV and I want to stash a PATA hard drive in the lower console (the one that swings down) for MP3's. My stereo head unit has a USB port in the front in which I'll plug into. Nothing fancy here, except I want to know what's the best way to power the hard drive.

    I have an HD enclosure that'll take normal AC voltage. Should I take it apart (nice because I can mount it to an HD bracket that's mounted to the lower console) and use a small DC to DC ATX PSU ($30 or so) using only the PATA connectors to power it? Or should I just get an inverter ($30 or so, can get at Home depot) and reroute my cigarette lighter down there?
    i would go for dc-dc convertor and a atx turning on thing shorts out pins 14 and 15 i think

    Comment


    • #3
      Check the output on the AC adapter. It's probably 12vDC, but could be some other voltage.
      If it outputs 12vDC then you can, as coreyspeed suggested, use a 12v regulator (not a converter, since there's nothing to convert) such as a Carnetix P1260, which is not manufactured any longer.
      There used to be 12vDC regulators available through thge mp3car.com store, but they aren't there any more...
      Mpegbox.com has them. Check the DSX12V or DSX12VD.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?



      Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
        Check the output on the AC adapter. It's probably 12vDC, but could be some other voltage.
        If it outputs 12vDC then you can, as coreyspeed suggested, use a 12v regulator (not a converter, since there's nothing to convert) such as a Carnetix P1260, which is not manufactured any longer.
        There used to be 12vDC regulators available through thge mp3car.com store, but they aren't there any more...
        Mpegbox.com has them. Check the DSX12V or DSX12VD.
        Unfortunately the hard drive needs +12v/+5v (standard PATA), then I would probably have to get a power supply say the DSATX? Any ideas on price on this ? Can I hook it up directly to my car battery (i.e. does it act as a regulator?). I was looking at the picoPSU-90 (less overkill on power needs), but it needs regulated power as input.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
          There used to be 12vDC regulators available through the mp3car.com store, but they aren't there any more...
          the Opus DCL11 is still available in the MP3car store, but it's [email protected] output may not be enough for a 3.5" HDD
          F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
          Fusion Carputer [2.0]
          Fusion Carputer [1.0]

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ruckerz View Post
            Unfortunately the hard drive needs +12v/+5v (standard PATA), then I would probably have to get a power supply say the DSATX? Any ideas on price on this ? Can I hook it up directly to my car battery (i.e. does it act as a regulator?). I was looking at the picoPSU-90 (less overkill on power needs), but it needs regulated power as input.
            Actually, a Carnetix model with a 12v primary and 5v secondary would better suit your needs. I think the P1290 is right up your alley.
            The DSATX is an full-on ATX-compliant PSU, meant to be a direct replacement for a desktop PSU. It could be made to work, but it's a kluugey solution, at best.

            Originally posted by FusionFanatic View Post
            the Opus DCL11 is still available in the MP3car store, but it's [email protected] output may not be enough for a 3.5" HDD
            I didn't realize those could output 12v. I learned something new.
            However, it's not going to work, since the OP needs both 12v and 5v.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?



            Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
              Actually, a Carnetix model with a 12v primary and 5v secondary would better suit your needs. I think the P1290 is right up your alley.
              The DSATX is an full-on ATX-compliant PSU, meant to be a direct replacement for a desktop PSU. It could be made to work, but it's a kluugey solution, at best.


              I didn't realize those could output 12v. I learned something new.
              However, it's not going to work, since the OP needs both 12v and 5v.
              Seems as if the P1290 has been discontinued. Also I've noticed that many of the solutions are in excess of $50 USD. The A/C adapter on the USB external case asks for 110V A/C @ 1A so according to my calculations... (2 A * 12 V = 24 watt) assuming 50% loss in the conversion. Wouldn't a 100 watt cigarette lighter power inverter for $20 from walmart make more sense?

              I don't need any fancy features such as power monitoring, ability to survive car starting, etc. It's just a hard drive and I plan to turn it on only when I'm going to use it.

              Comment

              Working...
              X