Upgrading laptop to desktop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading laptop to desktop

So I want to put a desktop pc in my car because the laptop just isnt powerful enough and i kinda miss having it to use. I have a power inverter that i use to power the pc now but the noise from the fan bugs me and it seems a little to ghetto rigged for me. What would i need to hook up the desk top? im pretty sure i need some sort of dc to dc regulator or something? how can i wire the + and ground to the plug of the computer. Also i currently use a relay to put my computer into hibernate when i turn the key off. will this still work or will i need to get some other hardware?

Check the FAQs for information on power supplies. You need a DC-DC intelligent automotive power supply. It completely replaces the one in the computer.

However, if you thought that you could hook up DC power from the car to the plug on your computer and it would work, you should seek professional installation help.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Well i know that I wanted to use an inverter. I was trying to figure out the difference between the inverter and the dc-dc supply.

Comment

Your car is direct current, or DC. Your house is on alternating current, or AC. Your car runs at 12 volts. Your house runs at 110 or 220 depending on where you live.

An inverter changes direct current to alternating current and steps it up to the necessary voltage for devices that plug into a standard house outlet. A DC-DC power supply takes power directly from the car and plugs into your motherboard without requiring an inverter.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

alright sounds like a plan. Now i think the next problem I'm facing is start up and shutdown. I've seen the controllers you can buy, however i was using a relay before that was hooked up to my power button on the laptop. would you suggest the same thing or should i get one of the controllers? from there how would i wire it up. the button on my desktop has 4 wires. 2 black 2 yellow.

Comment

Working...
          X