Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Starting Carpc For First Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Newbie Starting Carpc For First Time

    Hello. I recently got my carpc and I am starting to bench test everything. I connected the monitor to the pc and booted it up. The first screen says "HP INVENT" with 2 options:

    F8 - Configuration and Diagnostics
    F12 - Boot on LAN

    So I hit F8 to go through the configuration process. When I get to the next screen, it states:

    Boot Devices

    CD-ROM
    HP Diagnostics

    I am lost once I get to this screen. What am I supposed to do from here? Is anyone willing to walk me step-by-step through this whole process in order to get me to the main desktop screen?

  • #2
    Originally posted by bassboy3313 View Post
    Hello. I recently got my carpc and I am starting to bench test everything. I connected the monitor to the pc and booted it up. The first screen says "HP INVENT" with 2 options:

    F8 - Configuration and Diagnostics
    F12 - Boot on LAN

    So I hit F8 to go through the configuration process. When I get to the next screen, it states:

    Boot Devices

    CD-ROM
    HP Diagnostics

    I am lost once I get to this screen. What am I supposed to do from here? Is anyone willing to walk me step-by-step through this whole process in order to get me to the main desktop screen?

    When installing Windows, one would typically boot the computer with a cd rom. If that's not what you want to do right now, then change your settings to boot from a hard disk.
    Check out my CARPC: Project Diamond Plate

    Quick Reference:
    CPU Electrical Specs
    Power Supply Calculator

    Video Connections for newbies
    Temperature Converter
    Voltage Calculator

    Comment


    • #3
      how do you change the settings to boot from a hard disk?

      Comment


      • #4
        You'd want to change that setting in your BIOS.

        BIOS stands for basic input/output system. Often referred to as CMOS, the BIOS provides an interface for a computer's hardware and software. The BIOS configuration determines how your hardware is accessed. However, not all computers pull up the BIOS Configuration Setup Utility using the same key.

        On mine, I'd reset the computer using the reset switch, and during the first ten seconds of restart I tap on the "Delete" key till it gets me into the BIOS configuration. See if your puter works the same way, and go from there.
        Check out my CARPC: Project Diamond Plate

        Quick Reference:
        CPU Electrical Specs
        Power Supply Calculator

        Video Connections for newbies
        Temperature Converter
        Voltage Calculator

        Comment


        • #5
          ok. i will try that first thing tomorrow. if you are able to give me a DIY kind of thing to get my puter up and running I would GREATLY appreciate it.

          Comment


          • #6
            get into your BIOS first, read the navigation KEY at bottom of the page to learn how to change the settings, and save them before you exit. Once there, it is somewhat self explanatory.

            If you still have trouble, post back.
            Check out my CARPC: Project Diamond Plate

            Quick Reference:
            CPU Electrical Specs
            Power Supply Calculator

            Video Connections for newbies
            Temperature Converter
            Voltage Calculator

            Comment


            • #7
              wut should the sequence be then? will i need a windows xp cd or anything?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bassboy3313 View Post
                wut should the sequence be then?
                hard disk first, anything thereafter doesn't matter. You can disable the rest or select what you desire to come on after the hard drive.
                Check out my CARPC: Project Diamond Plate

                Quick Reference:
                CPU Electrical Specs
                Power Supply Calculator

                Video Connections for newbies
                Temperature Converter
                Voltage Calculator

                Comment


                • #9
                  will i need a windows xp cd or anything?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    it seems like there's an operating system on it already, therefore you don't need one. Otherwise, you should have your HP disks available when doing so, and instead boot from the cd-rom to install the OS that came with your system.
                    .
                    Check out my CARPC: Project Diamond Plate

                    Quick Reference:
                    CPU Electrical Specs
                    Power Supply Calculator

                    Video Connections for newbies
                    Temperature Converter
                    Voltage Calculator

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      i dont have the hp disks thats the problem. so if i dont need them, then thats fine, but if i do, idk where i can get them and if they are cheap or not.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by bassboy3313 View Post
                        i dont have the hp disks thats the problem. so if i dont need them, then thats fine, but if i do, idk where i can get them and if they are cheap or not.
                        OH wow, ok.... I'll throw my 2 cents into this. First off if the PC doesnt have Windows and you have lost the CDs, then look all over the case for the Windows Product Key. If it has the key, then your in luck. Check the label also to see if it is Home or Professional. If its home look for the Windows XP home OEM edition, if Windows XP Professional, look for Professional OEM edition. You cant use any other type of Windows CD otherwise it will say the key is invalid. If you need what ever CD, then I can send you one, but you must have a legal key to input into it.




                        If you system does not have a Windows product key on it, then you are out of luck and have to go buy yourself a copy.
                        Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

                        1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                        4X MK808b
                        3x Perixx Touchpads
                        3x 7 inch Screens
                        1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                        1x Win 7 PC

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm going to add more than $.02.
                          If you don't understand how to install an operating system on a PC from scratch, then a PC in your ride is probably an overly ambitious project for you.
                          There will be a lot more configuration, tweaking and troubleshooting of the PC itself upon installation into the vehicle (assuming you haven't done that already).
                          I fully believe that since you need a walkthrough to get an operating system installed, you're going to have a long difficult road in front of you with this project.


                          One thing that strikes me as odd is from your first post, bassboy3313:
                          So I hit F8 to go through the configuration process. When I get to the next screen, it states:

                          Boot Devices

                          CD-ROM
                          HP Diagnostics
                          There should be a hard drive listed there, and there is not.
                          This could be due to a couple of reasons.
                          - The hard drive needs to be partitioned & formatted so that it can be recognized as a boot device.
                          - The hard drive is present but has either the power and/or the data cable disconnected, resulting in it not being recognized by the motherboard. Contrary to popular belief, communication between motherboard and components does not utilize telekinesis.
                          - There is no hard drive at all.

                          Since the hard drive is the primary boot device once an OS is installed, it certainly should be listed in a boot menu such as this. The fact that there is no hard drive listed raises a red flag to me as a professional PC Technician. (That title and a buck gets me a small cup of coffee.)


                          What HiJackZX1 stated is all true. You need a copy of Windoze, plain and simple. It appears that you don't have a copy of Windoze, either pre-installed on this HP unit or on CDROM somewhere. Along with the physical installation media, you should also have a product key, which is used to activate the software and prove that you actually purchased a legitimate copy of the software.

                          I wish you well with your project, and hope it goes well. I really do.
                          I'll even assist as much as I can. But the sort of handholding that you are requesting is a bit too much, especially for an internet forum.
                          It's one of those operations that has lots of steps and details to attend to, and unless you know how to handle those details and requests for information, you'll need to post on the forum, wait for a response...
                          Lather, rince, repeat.

                          I'm sure you can see how this would be a horribly inefficient method for assisting with a procedure such as OS installation.
                          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                          How about the Wiki?



                          Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
                            OH wow, ok.... I'll throw my 2 cents into this. First off if the PC doesnt have Windows and you have lost the CDs, then look all over the case for the Windows Product Key. If it has the key, then your in luck. Check the label also to see if it is Home or Professional. If its home look for the Windows XP home OEM edition, if Windows XP Professional, look for Professional OEM edition. You cant use any other type of Windows CD otherwise it will say the key is invalid. If you need what ever CD, then I can send you one, but you must have a legal key to input into it.




                            If you system does not have a Windows product key on it, then you are out of luck and have to go buy yourself a copy.

                            I checked my pc and found a product key for Windows XP Professional and Windows 2000 Professional. Doesnt this mean that it is already on the pc or do I still need the OEM disc to bootup?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by bassboy3313 View Post
                              I checked my pc and found a product key for Windows XP Professional and Windows 2000 Professional. Doesnt this mean that it is already on the pc or do I still need the OEM disc to bootup?
                              That means that you have a legitimate license for either Windoze XP or Windoze 2000 Professional. That's a good start.
                              Whether or not either version of Windoze is installed on the PC already is going to require more investigation on your part.

                              Have you figured out whether you have a hard drive installed in this HP unit or not? At this point, that's going to be key.
                              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                              How about the Wiki?



                              Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X