Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a newbie, but starting a new CarPC...well...MotoPC :]

Hey all,
    Some of you may remember me from my Miata PC a few years back. My baby got totalled (rear-ended at a freeway onramp stoplight by an SUV soccer mom)... Fast forward 2 years later, and I just got a brand new Red 09 Kawasaki Ninja 250r. It's my only mode of transportation.

Of course I was going to install a computer system on it! I intend to remove the stock gauge cluster and bondo/fiberglass in a custom-molded 7" touchscreen (same screen that was in my miata I still have it and it works perfectly). I intend to have my gauges onscreen instead, including a gear indicator and some other extras as I think of them (anything is possible with the fusion brain).

I already ordered the Fusion Brain (what an awesome device, I hadn't known about it when I did the first carpc) for the gauges part of the project.

But I come to you, oh knowledgable mp3car gurus, for updates in the field of the carPC that may apply to my motopc project.

Motherboard: VIA PicoITX boards, thoughts? On a motorcycle, the absolute smallest footprint I can get, the better, are people using these, finding success with them?

Power Supply: I used an M2-ATX in my Miata...unfortunately I sold it on ebay a few months ago... Have there been updates or something better or should I go ahead and buy the M2-ATX again? I remember I bought it because of its small footprint and adequate power.

Hard drive: In my miata i used a standard 3.5in 250gb hard drive... On my bike, I need to use as LITTLE power as possible so as not to strain my alternator... So I am thinking about solid state drives... What do you guys have in mind for me? Any and all thoughts welcome.

OS/Software: This is the most critical place... I need a fast bootup time, preferably, which makes me lean towards some kind of custom linux install this time? My miata was just running a stripped version of windows, with roadrunner starting up with the computer... I believe I had a 24 second bootup time, which was fine. I am pretty sure I need to stick to windows so I can take advantage of RoadRunner and most importantly, fusion brain's software only runs on windows (WINE on linux?). What are your thoughts in this area?

Thanks alot folks, I look forward to hearing from you and incorporating your thoughts, and as usual, detailed pics will be provided every step of the way. For now enjoy the stock look of my bike
    Attached Files
    -------------------
    1997 Mazda Miata, Black
    MiataPC
    In-dash Fabrication
    Current dashboard: http://www.aescarpc.com/miatapc/2

hello!

I cant answer about the pico as I havent used it.

But as to the Fusion software, yes it only runs on windows for now. There was a period was I was making it cross platform, but it just doesnt make sense to especially at the expense of driver liability.

Windows XP can boot fast, but a pico with a small processor, and with a solid state drive with slow access times, I would not be surprised if it takes a while to boot up.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

I suppose a slow bootup isn't really too bad if I go ahead and use hibernation... I think I was doing that on the miata....

The motorcycle is carbureted so I have to wait a long time when I first start it up in the morning anyway, to let the engine warm up.

Thanks for your input...

I heard that my fuel gauge works by variable resistance, 0 ohms = full tank, 100 ohms = empty, or something like that. Does the fusion read resistance or do I need to convert this to a variable voltage? My dad says that is simple to do with a potentiometer or something, but it would be nice not to have to do that.
      -------------------
      1997 Mazda Miata, Black
      MiataPC
      In-dash Fabrication
      Current dashboard: http://www.aescarpc.com/miatapc/2

Comment

Originally posted by keyvan View Post
        I suppose a slow bootup isn't really too bad if I go ahead and use hibernation... I think I was doing that on the miata....

The motorcycle is carbureted so I have to wait a long time when I first start it up in the morning anyway, to let the engine warm up.

Thanks for your input...

I heard that my fuel gauge works by variable resistance, 0 ohms = full tank, 100 ohms = empty, or something like that. Does the fusion read resistance or do I need to convert this to a variable voltage? My dad says that is simple to do with a potentiometer or something, but it would be nice not to have to do that.
        Fusion Brain reads voltage. All you need is a resistor. Look up "voltage divider" in wikipedia. you have 1 of the resistors (your guage) and the other you have to choose depending on how you hook it up. Vin use the highest voltage output (when bike is on and alternator is on) and vout has to be less than 5v. I would probably choose 4.8v or so to be safe.
        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Working...
        X