Os ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Os ???

ok so im looking at starting my pc his weekend and im cusrious what is my best option to use for my os. I hear alot of ppl saying use nlite or tinyxp.
    I plan on having my hd radio, gps, winamp, vlc, and was planning on running RR for my front end.. So what would be my best option for running xp pro.
    Thanks for any input

Just use a standard build of Windows XP to start. You don't necessarily need a stripped build of Windows for a CarPC.

Comment

XP Pro is just fine. Boot up times are still good, and you dont have all the installation hassles of a stripped down install.
      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

ok thanks for input..

Comment

nLite is not an OS.
          It is a utility for making a Windows install disc to include drivers, applications, and stripping out unwanted components & services from Windows.

TinyXP is just WindowsXP that has been stripped down.
          Frankly, I would do as others have suggested and go with a full install of WindowsXP. Too many TInyXP (or other stripped down variants) users are lacking services or components they need.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
            Frankly, I would do as others have suggested and go with a full install of WindowsXP. Too many TInyXP (or other stripped down variants) users are lacking services or components they need.
            To be fair, TinyXP isn't missing much. The people that are having problems went with the ultra stripped down version which doesn't even have the Windows system tools. I still debate how much better TinyXp is versus a normal build of Windows. The unattended install is nice, the service packs and updates already rolled in is nice. I'm still not convinced it really boots much faster though.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinehead View Post
              To be fair, TinyXP isn't missing much. The people that are having problems went with the ultra stripped down version which doesn't even have the Windows system tools. I still debate how much better TinyXp is versus a normal build of Windows. The unattended install is nice, the service packs and updates already rolled in is nice. I'm still not convinced it really boots much faster though.
              The less that is stripped the less useful it really is. But you can make self installing dvd with updates and service packs for any full installation too.
              Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
              1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
              30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
              15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
              Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Your best bet if this is your first go-around, is to do a full XP install, then run the BlackViper service tweak (reg file)...there is also an undo file. This will help out quite a bit, as far as resources go...
                The biggest offenders are system restore and indexing services...

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/registry.htm
                (Near the bottom are the files)

Comment

Working...
                X