E39 Carpc, X-Fi + read FAQ, About to give up =(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E39 Carpc, X-Fi + read FAQ, About to give up =(

Hello, I have read many, many threads on here and search endlessly for topics that may help before posting.

I have an E39 BMW. 15" LCD fitted to the dash. Specs are:

15" LCD
    USB Hub at front with Sidewider gamepad, usb mouse and keyboard.
    P4 2.8Ghz, 1.5Gb ram, HP pc with 135w PSU running from Inverter
    I bought a new Creative X-Fi sound card 7.1
    Soldered all the leads properly....

Stereo...
    2x 10" Atomic Apocalypse subs in sealed, 25mm box
    1100wrms @ 1ohm Memphis amp (0 gauge input)
    95mm Power cables going to amp from N70Z battery 720cca Century
    Blaupunkt 4x80wrms amp bridged to two channels running my 8" and 2" splits on rear shelf (Front speakers not connected yet)

Now the sub output doesn't work for some reason on the sound card. I checked the Creative software and set it for it and it doesn't work with the amp. I have to run front and rear channels for the speakers and amp to work.
    I have extensive experience with car audio sound and tried each RCA on a splitted from the sub out on the sound card to the monoblock and no output.

I REALLY want this to work, but I am looking at getting a standard head unit and giving up on the carpc =( I have to work out why it's clipping whenever I play decent volume to the system. The powersupply, pc, inverter, amps are all grounded very well. There is very minimal interferance to the noise since I did this (Was noticeable there before, but after searching I discovered why.)

I have Winamp at about 25-30% volume, and when main system volume goes over 80% it starts clipping. The amp gains are set to around half. I have read, and found this is the best setting, however it's crap.

I know I'm doing something wrong. I don't know what it is, but the subs should really be bellowing out the sound and they aren't. I am ready to scrap this project and get a head unit... but I have spent so much on it already and don't want to give up.

Thankyou,
    Nathan

It has to be something your doing. I run a X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI card and its awesome.... I have it set up in the 7.1 confuguration though.

First off, to make sure that the X-Fi is working, install it into a desktop PC to see if its working. What did you have to solder? What leads? What configuration do you have the X-Fi set to? Remember that on the X-Fi, one of the RCA cables has one side for center speaker and one side for sub. Make sure its not the center you are connecting to the amps.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

Comment

It was the issue with X-Fi and the "4.1" output that doesn't exist. I had to set it to 5.1 and then now it works, very, very good.

The quality is amazing and is on par with anything else I've ever had. I just need to iron things out like stock speakers and crappy Blaupunkt amp running them. Line noise - which I bought lots of cables to ground everything and change the mobo to a 12v unit.... the power supply gets amazingly hot in the boot. More fans too, but yea it's excellent and I wouldn't want nothing else.

15" Screen mounted to the dash is pimp.

Comment

Originally posted by justlikemusic View Post
        It was the issue with X-Fi and the "4.1" output that doesn't exist. I had to set it to 5.1 and then now it works, very, very good.

The quality is amazing and is on par with anything else I've ever had. I just need to iron things out like stock speakers and crappy Blaupunkt amp running them. Line noise - which I bought lots of cables to ground everything and change the mobo to a 12v unit.... the power supply gets amazingly hot in the boot. More fans too, but yea it's excellent and I wouldn't want nothing else.

15" Screen mounted to the dash is pimp.
        HAHAHAHAHA. I forgot about that. You have to set it to 5.1, all you do is leave the center speaker out. What you want to do also is turn the center speaker all the way of in the settings, so that the card automatically adjust and sends the center speaker sound to front left and front right, also known as a phantom speaker.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
        4X MK808b
        3x Perixx Touchpads
        3x 7 inch Screens
        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
          :thatcommentuselesswithoutpics:
          I would like to see it also... Is it touchscreen? When I ordered mine it was normal, no touchscreen, I had to add a touchscreen to it.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
          4X MK808b
          3x Perixx Touchpads
          3x 7 inch Screens
          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Sorry I been really tied up with work and women lately :/

I owe you guys pics so tomorrow when I get home from work I'll bring out the camera.

I got the 15" Dell on the dash, and an another the same for the rear transmission tunnel (still to mount this one though.) I have my Core2 1.8Ghz running in there with Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12 2GB Ram, Gigabyte mobo and 160Gb HD. nVidia 8800GT video card and Antec Trio 550w power supply running all from a 300w inverter nicely.

Crappy Kenwood 2ch runs front stage JL Audio splits
            Lanzar amp runs rear stage 8" mids
            Got an Alpine PDX1.1000 running the single 307C Pioneer sub. I'll buy another tomorrow.
            Going to run three of these on the PDX giving them 390~wrms each. And two on the Memphis @ 2ohm running 600wrms. Five 12's should be nice =)

The memphis amp I had doesn't like 1ohm, and that is why I blew my two atomics with it :/ Bummer about that.

Anyway, it's running ok and I have to re-mount the amp rack so my pics tomorrow are going to look pretty raw the way it's all mounted. =) I also gotta fine tune the pc setup because it's running Windows Server 2008 and it's slow to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by justlikemusic View Post
              Sorry I been really tied up with work and women lately :/

I owe you guys pics so tomorrow when I get home from work I'll bring out the camera.

I got the 15" Dell on the dash, and an another the same for the rear transmission tunnel (still to mount this one though.) I have my Core2 1.8Ghz running in there with Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12 2GB Ram, Gigabyte mobo and 160Gb HD. nVidia 8800GT video card and Antec Trio 550w power supply running all from a 300w inverter nicely.

Crappy Kenwood 2ch runs front stage JL Audio splits
              Lanzar amp runs rear stage 8" mids
              Got an Alpine PDX1.1000 running the single 307C Pioneer sub. I'll buy another tomorrow.
              Going to run three of these on the PDX giving them 390~wrms each. And two on the Memphis @ 2ohm running 600wrms. Five 12's should be nice =)

The memphis amp I had doesn't like 1ohm, and that is why I blew my two atomics with it :/ Bummer about that.

Anyway, it's running ok and I have to re-mount the amp rack so my pics tomorrow are going to look pretty raw the way it's all mounted. =) I also gotta fine tune the pc setup because it's running Windows Server 2008 and it's slow to boot.
              Five 12's?!!?!?!?!?!?! Wow, why so many? Im only going with one 12' Alpine Type-R 500 RMS. All the rest of the speakers are 100 RMS. Is this going to play videos and stuff also? i can imagine movies will sound monstorous.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
              4X MK808b
              3x Perixx Touchpads
              3x 7 inch Screens
              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Woot, one voil coil on the Atomics work so I'll run them, and the pair of Pioneer 12's... so now I have 44"s of woofer space.

Comment

That line noise you are talking about... I'm willing to bet it is coming from the inverter. Before you go spending all kinds of money, pull your car up to the house and try running the power supply off of a standard AC outlet. I'm willing to bet your noise will disappear.
                  My Nearly Complete Car:
                  http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
                  http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
                  http://paulfurtado.com/

Comment

You should really try to replace the inverter with an automotive power supply. Not only will it fix the noise if its coming from an inverter, but it also turns on/off your computer for you, provides a safe stable current of power(computers dont like the noisy signal that inverters tend to produce), and protects your battery from draining slowly.

Comment

Yea I replaced the inverter with a sine wave one. I remotely mounted the switches for the computer and inverter in the cabin so no problems now. Grounding the crap out of all gear really makes a massive difference and everything seems really ironed out now from the nights upon nights of searching and reading these forums, thankyou. I have four amps, an inverter and computer wired up in my boot and it looks a mess, my uncle borrowed the camera to go overseas so I couldn’t take photos. I’ll borrow one from a friend this weekend when I finish the install, or use the work camera Monday when it’s all completed.

I bought the Jaycar powersupply and wired it up, however there was no on button on it or voltage coming out the other side of it. The inverter works fine for now and there is no heat and I have my main house pc installed. Core2, 2Gb DDR2, 8800GT all top of the range stuff (6 months ago when I bought it). Can’t wait until this is done. Rear passengers will have a 15” LCD on the transmission tunnel and a 15” drop down LCD behind the sunroof =) 44”s of subwoofer, 36”s of speakers, just over 2000wrms and 45”s of LCD screens… two N70Z batterys =) and cost me only about three grand all up with the price of the computer and the old man’s ‘permanently borrowed from work’ mining 00 gauge 95mm cable!

Comment

Working...
                      X