No announcement yet.

Mounting orientation

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting orientation

I am considering mounting my unit behind the passenger seat of my coup. It is at an angle of about 45deg.

Will I have problems with the Toshiba HD operating at that angle?

P.S. the unit has been working flawlessly for months mounted horizontal.

Thanks for your feed back.

P.P.S. I promise to update the project post very soon. I am at another major project milestone.

If it worked horizontal it should work on a 45. Most shocks in a car are vertical to which horizontal is the worst position. I would think a drive on it's side would be the best orientation for a car. ( I layed mine horizontal, but on a shockpad).

Thanks. I've read some conflicting opinions here. HD mounting technologies and specs have changed greatly over the years, especially on the laptop HD's. So I was curious if anyone had any firsthand experience with newer laptop HD's.

I'll certainly know the cause if I start getting failures in the new mounting location. Just more information I will need to add to my horribly behind worklog.

This is my opinion:

Mount your hard drive either perpndicular to the road or parallel to the road for the most longevity.
        The jury is still out as to whether vertical or horizontal is the better option.

That said, I don't think you'll have any problems if you mount it at a 45 degree angle as you mentioned. I would expect the lifespan of the drive to b shorter, but couln't tell you by how much.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.