Basic question about front-ends and multiple apps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic question about front-ends and multiple apps

Hi, planning out my first system (great site, btw). I have tons of desktop pc experience, but none in-car. Knowing how Windows works in terms of simultaneous applications, the alt-tab switching, maximized windows, fullscreen, etc., I am having a hard time visualizing just how a front-end for car use works. Obviously its prob a bit diff per front-end, but in general:

Does it go fullscreen or do you have window controls on it (close, maximize, etc)?

For extensions and such, does it end up launching other applications, and then you have to alt-tab back to the front-end?

Do folks that run multiple apps run them just like on a windows destkop, with multiple windows open at once, and then switch them with the touchscreen and such, or is there some kind of modified shell or something?

Thanks for any help understanding the general usage paradigm...

W
    // 2008.5 CWP MAZDASPEED 3
    // mp3car showoff thread
    // appearance & performance mods
    // computer setup

Download one and find out!

The whole point of a front-end is to make the computer easy to use while driving. Thus, they almost all run in full screen. With Road Runner, you can control whether the task bar shows or not. Lots and lots of configurations and options. Pick one and try it out.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the info...would download and play, I just don't have a single windows machine, and won't until I buy the gear for my carputer ;-)
      // mp3car showoff thread
      // computer setup

Comment

Like Bug said, a front end is used to make everything easy while driving. All the front ends I've tried (RR, Centrafuse and SD/SD2) have an easily accesible "button" for each function ie. Music, Sirius/XM, DVD, Pictures etc. Once you click that button, the FE (Front End) takes you to another menu or application. There is almost always a "home" button to take you to the main menu area. The easiest way to get a feel for what and how they do things is to go to a FE area here (under software) and check out the skins forums. Each skin usually has a picture of several of it's menus. That way you can see the main menu area and where it takes you once you select say music. Search around on the forums here and in a day or two you'll easily know all you need to know to get yourself started. I highly suggest the FAQ forum. There's a lot of info there.

Comment

Check out how they work on Youtube. Search for Road Runner, car PC, Centrafuse or Streetdeck. You'll see vids of them in action.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Thanks very much everyone...
            // mp3car showoff thread
            // computer setup

Comment

Working...
            X