Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking Polarity help needed

Hi,
    Im just wondering how I go about checking the polarity, im curently in the planning phase and want to make sure I get everything right, howver im struggling to find out how to check the polarity with my voltmeter, can anyone talk me through this by any chance?

Im just a little confused because naturally I have to check before plugging anything in.

many thanks

You have a red probe, which is +
    You also have a black probe, which is (you guessed it) -
    Connect the probes to your 2 test wires...if you get a negative volt reading, it's backwards...i.e. your + probe is on the ground lead.

Comment

You can also do a continuity check using the voltmeter. A ground wire should show continuity between the wire and a ground spot on the car (such as a bare metal part on the car frame).
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

You don't want to do a continuity check on a hot wire though. That will blow the meter. I connect my black to known ground and start probing with my +Red on the volt meter and see what's there. Make sure your volt meter is set higher than the highest known voltage.

Comment

Good point. Test for voltage rather than continuity.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Working...
          X