New to both carputer and car audio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to both carputer and car audio

Ok, so I really like the idea of having a touch screen installed in my car which can control things from music to GPS navigation to reading OBD II codes. I decided to go the route of a carputer because it's cheaper than an in dash GPS system, so I've got a few questions. Here's how I'm planning on routing it.

The blue box is where a head unit would be if I had one. Instead my monitor is going to be sitting there.

The black box in the audio line from the carputer separates the speaker level output of the laptop into 5 line level channel outputs, 4 to a 4 channel speaker amp and 1 to a mono woofer amp.

Question #1 Do I have to format which frequencies go to which amp at the computer level, or do the amp/speakers simply disregard audio frequencies out of their range

Question #2 The car speakers all have wires that are routed to a handy little pig-tail where the head unit should be. Can I just route some extra length of wire from that pig-tail to the 4 channel amp under my passenger seat or should I re-wire all the audio wire

Question #3 My stereo bay measures in at 19.1x10.2 cm the Monitor is 18.6x12.7 cm with I'm guessing a 15.5x9.3 cm viewable area. I've read that with Lilliputís it's possible to take the panel off and just use the screen to save on space. Is this true, and if so, is soldering involved in this? (I'm no good with an iron; the best I can do is stick two wires together).

Question #4 Is it wise to use two amplifiers or should I go with a 5-channel? To the best of my knowledge these are about +$100 over a dual setup. Is that price jump a reflection on audio quality, or is it because of space savings?

Question #5 I'm getting an Asus Eee with a 1.6 GHz processor and 1 gigabyte of ram. Would that be sufficient to play DVD/mp3, run navigation software, and read OBD II codes in real time, or would I want something with a bit higher clock/more ram?

Thanks for your input, and sorry for the questions, I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I drop several hundred dollars into this.

Originally posted by Sidneyaks View Post
    Ok, so I really like the idea of having a touch screen installed in my car which can control things from music to GPS navigation to reading OBD II codes. I decided to go the route of a carputer because it's cheaper than an in dash GPS system, so I've got a few questions. Here's how I'm planning on routing it.

The blue box is where a head unit would be if I had one. Instead my monitor is going to be sitting there.

The black box in the audio line from the carputer separates the speaker level output of the laptop into 5 line level channel outputs, 4 to a 4 channel speaker amp and 1 to a mono woofer amp.
    I am guessing that your car stereo system is VERY basic. Head unit to speakers. No factory amplification. 1 speaker in each door, etc.

Question #1 Do I have to format which frequencies go to which amp at the computer level, or do the amp/speakers simply disregard audio frequencies out of their range
    The only speaker which is not full range will be the sub. The computer will output a signal crossed over at the proper frequency.

Question #2 The car speakers all have wires that are routed to a handy little pig-tail where the head unit should be. Can I just route some extra length of wire from that pig-tail to the 4 channel amp under my passenger seat or should I re-wire all the audio wire
    Purchase the appropriate adapter harness to install and aftermarket radio into your vehicle. crimp your speaker wires to that harness and just plug 'er in. It will work.

Question #3 My stereo bay measures in at 19.1x10.2 cm the Monitor is 18.6x12.7 cm with I'm guessing a 15.5x9.3 cm viewable area. I've read that with Lilliputís it's possible to take the panel off and just use the screen to save on space. Is this true, and if so, is soldering involved in this? (I'm no good with an iron; the best I can do is stick two wires together).
    Avoid anything that requires modification. If it won't work as is, find something that will. You could always pay someone who is adapt at custom modifications if required.

Question #4 Is it wise to use two amplifiers or should I go with a 5-channel? To the best of my knowledge these are about +$100 over a dual setup. Is that price jump a reflection on audio quality, or is it because of space savings?
    Quality is important here. Multi amp setups should cost more, not less. If you find its the other way around, you are not comparing equal hardware. I recommend an all in one unit for a beginner such as yourself. Less to go wrong. You may want to look into a 4 channel amp and an additional mono block amp fro the sub. You can also get a 4 channel plus a second 2 channel. You bridge the 2 channel to 1.

Question #5 I'm getting an Asus Eee with a 1.6 GHz processor and 1 gigabyte of ram. Would that be sufficient to play DVD/mp3, run navigation software, and read OBD II codes in real time, or would I want something with a bit higher clock/more ram?
    It will do just fine. Your challenge will be finding hardware and software that is compatible. This system is NOT going to work as easy as you think.

Thanks for your input, and sorry for the questions, I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I drop several hundred dollars into this.

Several hundred? Plan on adding an extra 0 to that number.
    Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

Working...
    X