What power to use and how to do it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What power to use and how to do it

Hello. I am brand new to this website and brand new to car-pc's. I have a basic knowledge of how one works, and have built a few regular desktop pc's so I know a thing or two, but am no expert. Anyways I think I want to go with a DC-DC power supply.

With this can I just hook up a negative and positive to to the battery and it should work?

I want to be able to turn the car on and off and have the pc hiberate/unhiberate without restarting.

I believe this is the whole idea about the DC-DC power supply?

How can you set up (basic xp computer) to hiberate and unhiberate when the car goes on and off?

Please help a noob out!

Read the FAQs about power supplies: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advfaq.php
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Okay, I've read a lot of it and my first new question is this:

What is the acc line(they said behind the radio). I am wiring this as an addition, so my stock radio will still be there, I am simply hooking up an aux input to the radio, so radio station #6 is the computer or whatever...

Comment

An accessory line is a line that has 12 volts + on it when the car is running and 0 volts when the car is off and the key is out of the ignition.

It is called an accessory line because it is used to power or signal accessories like the radio to turn on when the key is in the acc position.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
          An accessory line is a line that has 12 volts + on it when the car is running and 0 volts when the car is off and the key is out of the ignition.

It is called an accessory line because it is used to power or signal accessories like the radio to turn on when the key is in the acc position.
          Okay. So what's the point in this for a car pc setup?
          Isn't the whole system powered by the line that goes to the power supply and then dispersed to screen, HDD, disk drive, etc from there?

Forgive me if I am asking stupid questions. I am stupid on this subject on this point. I am reading as much as I can, but it's a lot of info.

Comment

Okay, give it some thought for just a second. How does your car PC know when to turn on or off? Well, you can push a button and start it up and shut it down.

OR - you can have the PC be told to start and shutdown automatically by the power supply unit. The way it knows when to start or shut down is by monitoring the acc line.

SO - a car PC power supply like an Opus or Carnetix or M2-ATX connect to THREE wires. First, the 12v line from the battery. Second, the ground wire. Third, the acc to tell it to start or stop.
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:

Comment

Oh, well yes I knew that. So the acc line is essentially the ignition line? or the equivilent of one?

Comment

Correct.
                Want to:

Comment

Working...
                X