Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello I need heelp, I don't know if this is possible (connecting computer to a HU...)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello I need heelp, I don't know if this is possible (connecting computer to a HU...)

Hello,
    I'm new here this is my first post I'll begin to explain my problem. I bought a pair of AIWA speakers (model n° SX-650, 6 ohms 40 watts rms) at an auction for 14 dollars, and I want to connect them to my desktop computer, i don't have anything else to amplify them but an old Roadstar car stereo ( Model N° RS-1250, 4-8 ohms, 12 V Dc). The car stereo is pretty old and doesn't have any input jack (for ipod, etc...). But i guess I could open it and dissable the cassette and hook up the the computer audio output signal straight to it's amp. For power supply I figure i could use some 12 V voltage converter but i also have laying around an ATX computer PSU (400 watts i think it is).
    Can anyone tell me if this is possible? I've tested the speakers on my mum's sound system and they sound great. I'd be happy to get any advice whatsoever. Bye bye Thanks.

PS: i could upload some pics if that'd be of any help. And please i'm sorry for my english I'm from Argentina.

You cant hook the speakers to your pc directly. The audio has to be amplified. If your HU doesn't have inputs, you could use an fm transmitter. This is a crappy option. You could buy a new HU with aux inputs in the rear. Find a name brand model on ebay. You can get a decent used HU for around $50. Problem solved.

Inverters are bad. If you have the money, buy a ps from the store. Converting from dc to ac back to dc wastes a lot of power and produces lots of heat.
    I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet .

Comment

Head to a local thrift shop and buy the oldest working stereo receiver they have. Use that as your amplifier to your speakers.

Bonus points if you find one with "quadraphonic" sound!
      Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Albers View Post
        Head to a local thrift shop and buy the oldest working stereo receiver they have. Use that as your amplifier to your speakers.

Bonus points if you find one with "quadraphonic" sound!
        Make sure it has aux inputs though.

If you don't want to buy a new head unit... a tape adapter is usually better than an FM transmitter. An FM modulator would be pretty good too. But a new head unit might actually be cheaper than an FM transmitter/modulator. You can probably find a new one for 40 bucks.
        My Nearly Complete Car:
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
        http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
        http://paulfurtado.com/

Comment

Thank you all for the advices you gave me, i wanted to try with the HU i already have but it looks like it's too complicated, I think I'll go for the stereo receiver although they're not that cheap here now. Any ways thank you all again.

Comment

Working...
          X