No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi people.

i'm Dave i'm from the uk and will be purchasing a subaru impreza in the next month which i have been thing about installing a incar pc.

i work as a master technician so i know alot about cars but i know very little about computers. i know what the basic components are and what they do but after that i'm lost.

so i'm here looking for losts of help as i have no idea where to start, such as are the pc's you use normal desk top units or are they special incar units. i'm sure you will laugh at my lack of knowledge on this subject but thats why i'm here. after looking at some of the installs on this site there is obviously some pretty clued up people here, hopefully who will be willing to offer a novice like me lots of advice.

Hello Dave. First of all, you have to ask yourself what you want the PC to do, functions etc. Once you have that figured out it's really a matter of selecting the hardware that can do what you want. Many car pc's are built using readily available pc components such as ATX boards and regular 3.5" hard drives, but there are also those that build super tiny pc's using pico ATX boards and CF cards for storage/OS. Then there's the issue of how to power it. An automotive ATX power supply is highly recommended vs. using a power inverter.

Get ready to invest lots of time as well as money and deal with frustration as there is no standard way to add a PC to a car, unless you're to buy some sort of in-dash unit.

Have fun and good luck!
    Kids, don't play with too many knives! -Crack Stuntman

Comment

2005 Acura TL

I have 2005 Acura TL and I would like to a PC on it is it hard is it time consuming

Comment

Originally posted by eorendain View Post
        I have 2005 Acura TL and I would like to a PC on it is it hard is it time consuming
        If you read Kibble's post:

Originally posted by kibble View Post
        Get ready to invest lots of time as well as money and deal with frustration as there is no standard way to add a PC to a car, unless you're to buy some sort of in-dash unit.
        Is it time consuming= yes
        Is it hard= no
        I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet .

Comment

Originally posted by rizaydog View Post
          Is it time consuming= yes
          Is it hard= no
          Depends on your level of PC experience. Some may find this task very difficult to almost impossible without the right knowledge.
          Tidder

Try RevFE
          The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

And then there's also the fact that no matter what you do, you never seem to ever be done with it....
            Kids, don't play with too many knives! -Crack Stuntman

Comment

to be fair at first all i wanted from a incar pc was to beable to say i have a incar pc. but after seeing what some of you guys have done i want a pc to control my sound system (i'm quite in to my ice) handle navigation and incar internet access depending on whats needed to achieve this.

as for the time and money needed. time i have plenty of money not so much of but i intend to build this system over a period of time not to long mind you.

as i said i know very little about pc's and while i'm no electrician i'm capable of handling general electrical jobs, so i have no doubt that with the help of members on here i can achieve the system i'm looking for.

Comment

Working...
              X