Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to retain headunit and install car pc?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to retain headunit and install car pc?

Hi guise!

I was wondering if it would be possible to connect my carpc and HU to an amp? Is so, would I need a particular type of amp?

Basically i'm trying to connect my carpc to my speakers whilst retaining my HU and all functionality. Just not sure if my idea would work in principle.

I'm open to suggestions, if anyone has a better method!

P.S I've tried FM broadcasting/modulator and the quality is

Thanks in advance!

A relay (solid state or mechanical) on the line in to poweramp would do it.
    It would make sense to have it default in car HU and PC when activate. Maybe activated by PC itself. Building such a unit is not so difficult, and you can use a COM port pin to control the relay. Supported by RR.

Or you line-in the headunit to the PC, but then the PC has to be on to get car radio.
    My car installation mp3car thread "showing off project"

Comment

I Think I might have missunderstood you.

Is the problem to breakup audio path to HU built-in power amp, and insert PC audio out there instead? By switch?

That can be done, but will require soldering.

If you are going that way, I would still recommend just getting the lineout from the HU and go the relay way with an external power amp. Or if you do not want to modify your HU, get a highlevel to lowlevel adapter.

If you want I can help you out getting low level output. Open HU and send picture of internals and we can take it from there
      My car installation mp3car thread "showing off project"

Comment

I think you're over-complicating things bes51659.

Very simple solution: You run the speaker-out from the PC to the AUX-in on the headunit.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
          I think you're over-complicating things bes51659.

Very simple solution: You run the speaker-out from the PC to the AUX-in on the headunit.
          Unfortunately my factory HU did not come with AUX-in. - Perhaps I should consider hacking my HU and installing AUX-in?

Comment

You can get a PAC interface. Check http://www.pac-audio.com/

Basically it hooks up to your stock system but creates an AUX channel if you dont have one. You can then hook your PC or whatever you want into the unit and run it ala AUX channel. I'm not sure what kind of vehicle you have but its worth a look.

Comment

Originally posted by funkd View Post
              Unfortunately my factory HU did not come with AUX-in. - Perhaps I should consider hacking my HU and installing AUX-in?
              Does the eadunit have CD changer controls? If so, there are adapters that will allow you to use the CD changer input as an AUX in.

And I don't think it's a simple matter to just "install" an aux-in for a headunit that doesn't have one.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

The ones that hook-up to the antenna lead work pretty good, you just tune the HU to a certain frequency.

http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=FMM-100
                OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
                Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
                Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
                BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
                M2-ATX Power Supply
                RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
                Windows XP SP3

Comment

Would something like this work? It connects to the CD changer port.

http://www.mp3yourcar.com/product_in...ducts_id=10020

Comment

that'll work. then do a 3.5mm to RCA chord from the PC out, and you're set
                    1997 3.8L M5 Camaro: Too many mods :evil:
                    235RWHP/232RWTQ

Comment

Working...
                    X