No announcement yet.

My first project. All help wanted in all sections. Just need a few pointers :S

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first project. All help wanted in all sections. Just need a few pointers :S

Hi
    This is my first project and it will be going into a fiat brava. I already have a micro-atx motherboard with 512mb of RAM and I am planning on putting a P4 630 cpu into it. I would like it to be displayed onto a 7" touch screen monitor that I am going to put into the place of the OEM head unit.

I need to know is what PSU will I need for this?
    Best option so far : M4-ATX
    http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12004

I was planning on having a 5400rpm 2.5" laptop hdd as I heard there is not much performance difference between a 7200rpm one and also uses less power. I also thought that a laptop one would withstand more bumps and stuff than a 3.5" desktop one.
    Best so far : 250 GB Samsung HM250JI
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/250-G...MB-Cache-12-ms

Is the best way to power the monitor from a 12V output on the PSU? Is there anything I need to look for in a 7" touch screen monitor? For example brightness or power consumption?
    Best so far : Lilliput 619GL70 7" touch screen LCD monitor
    http://www.allcam.biz/catalog/produc...products_id=99

Audio outputs on PC's are like the pre-amp on stereos right? If so, can that just go from a 3.5mm jack into the 2 phono pre-amp input ports the amp?
    Stupid question, the only way that I would be able to adjust the volume would be using the windows volume adjuster, when I have it set to max will the volume be extremely loud like if I set my stereo volume to max?

Any other things that I need to know or should think about please tell me.
    Any hints on the install please don't keep to yourself .

Thanks
    JM

Are there any power serious power issues with having a PC in a car like battery running flat? (Solved)
    Car: Ford Focus
    Currently stock setup. Trying to decide on the best setup for me.

Will this be ok for a micro-atx mothrboard and be powerful enough to power my cpu, motherboard, hdd, dvd drive and 7" touch screen?

http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/item...LAID=298049378

It's a 160W M2-ATX car psu. Or is that too powerful and will drain my car battery?

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jellymonster View Post
      Will this be ok for a micro-atx mothrboard
      motherboard size is irrelevant. it's the hardware on/connected to the board that determines how much power is needed.

Will this be ~ powerful enough to power my cpu, motherboard, hdd, dvd drive and 7" touch screen?

http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/item...LAID=298049378

It's a 160W M2-ATX car psu
      no, it will not be powerful enough. P4's are power-hungry processors (and generally are not a good choice for a carPC). the P4 630 alone can draw up to 7A from the 12v rail. a 3.5" HDD will draw up to 2A, monitor will draw about 1A from the 12v rail. the M2-ATX can only provide 8A max on the 12v rail (this is more than enough for most carPCs, but it's not powerful enough for the system you plan on building.

I'm not saying that you can't use the P4 system, but it will be more expensive due to the significantly higher cost of the higher power PSU. you won't be able to get away with the cheaper/smaller PSUs like the M2-ATX. it may be more cost effective to ditch the P4 setup and go with something much more efficient like the Intel Atom CPU/mobo.

will drain my car battery?
      there is no such thing as "too powerful" when it comes to PSU's. a PSU only provides as much power as the computer requires.

will drain my car battery?
      when your car is on, the alternator provides the power (not your car battery). your battery will only drain if you're using it with the engine off.
      F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
      Fusion Carputer [2.0]
      Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

A few common misconceptions:

1 - SOME P4s are very power hungry. There are different cores for P4 CPUs. Some cores are higher power draw than other cores.

The P4 630 the OP specified is a Prescott 2 core that draws 84w max. That said, the power draw of that CPU alone would be pushing the limits of the M2ATX PSU you specified, but it would probably work, so long as you don't start pegging your CPU usage.
        Honestly, I would go for a more powerful PSU to err on the side of reliability. You can't have a PSU that is too powerful, as FF said.

2 - When the car is on, the power is still coming from the battery. However, the alternator is also charging the battery at the same time, in most cases charging more than the power being drawn which leaves you with a fully charged battery when you shut off the engine.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I see, so I don't have to worry about the battery being drained. And I have done alot of research and found that the M2-ATX is not a good idea.

As I already have a MoBo I don't really want to buy another one. However, I did come across the M4-ATX PSU with 250W
          http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12004

I think that this one will be powerful enough but can you guys verify this for me, as you can probably see I'm not great at this :P.
          Thanks alot guys
          JM

Comment

You say you already have the MB. Do you also already have the CPU? An E5200 would be a better choice.

-- Kevin

Comment

Well, I kinda do already have the CPU. It's currently in my main PC but I was going to upgrade that to quad core and use it in my car PC. This would be my best choice scenario.

When you say it would be a better choice, do you mean performance or because of power issues? It is 2.5Ghz dual core so obviously better performance, also being 45nm so it should use less power. But that's my guesses :S.

Thanks

Comment

Yes on both counts. Better performing, less power.

Comment

I would seriously consider a transreflective screen! Thats the one downfall of my system, It really bums me out when my screen is all washed out during bright days It really is the window to the entire system

Comment

Originally posted by kross View Post
                    Yes on both counts. Better performing, less power.
                    Aaaah, I see. However that would mean I would have a better CPU in my car than my main PC. Would my P4 630 CPU work until I do upgrade to the E5200? Thanks Kross for showing me the CPU.

Originally posted by hondabldr View Post
                    I would seriously consider a transreflective screen! Thats the one downfall of my system, It really bums me out when my screen is all washed out during bright days It really is the window to the entire system
                    Hmmm, that is something I never really thought of. I'm finding it hard to find a transreflective screen but I have heard that some of them are really milky. The best monitor I have found so far is the illiput 619GL70 7" touch screen LCD monitor from http://www.allcam.biz/catalog/produc...products_id=99.
                    Thanks for your suggestion, I can imagine me raging at the sun on my screen.

Comment

Working...
                    X