Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

n00b: Want to Hack my Jensen HU - Need Help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n00b: Want to Hack my Jensen HU - Need Help.

Hey everyone, for the record, I will be doing a CarPC eventually, but waiting for the solid state drives to come down in price a bit first.

So I want to hack my Jensen VM9022 HU. I like the head unit and the features it has, but some of them are just **** poor. How would I go about getting the software off my Jensen HU to edit them on my computer? I was thinking a laptop and data transfer cable through the USB port, but not sure if it'll work. I know for fact the HU is Windows based, so shouldn't be too difficult to change the way a few things work, besides the colors to the interface. I have the software for the Nav, and if anyone knows of a good file converter so I can add Mr. T's voice, that would be great as well.

I doubt you'll be able to. Usually these OEM style units are locked up tight.
    Tidder

Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

I don't know how tight they made it, like I said, I have all the programming for the voice prompts for the GPS already.

Has anyone takin a Jensen HU apart? I know the mic for the bluetooth is on the drivers side inside the case, I wonder if I can extend the mic out some so I don't sound so "far away".

Comment

Originally posted by rickhigginshtbr View Post
        I don't know how tight they made it, like I said, I have all the programming for the voice prompts for the GPS already.

Has anyone takin a Jensen HU apart? I know the mic for the bluetooth is on the drivers side inside the case, I wonder if I can extend the mic out some so I don't sound so "far away".
        With a bit soldering, you could extend the mic a bit...

but for the programing, or.... revers enginering... I have my doubts.

Comment

Originally posted by Crinos View Post
          With a bit soldering, you could extend the mic a bit...

but for the programing, or.... revers enginering... I have my doubts.
          I think I'm going to extend the mic out and mount it on my upper steering column cover, should be a lot clearer right there.

But I know for fact this stupid thing is windows based, it really shouldn't be that hard...

Comment

Sure it is. It's probably mobile or CE based. It's not the same thing as a desktop version of windows. I'd be surprised if you can pull anything off it or put anything on it, let alone hack what's already in there.
            Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

the disc I have from the nav includes an exe to update the video drivers on it, so I know you can put stuff on it.

Comment

Heh, well apparently you know more about it than anyone... hack away.
                Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

It runs Windows CE 4.2. I doubt you'll be able to hack it. Do you even know what the cpu architecture is? If it's something other than x86 you're already pretty much done for unless you're looking at running custom compiled apps on it. Even then I think proggies have to be signed to run. Not anyone can sign a program.

EDIT: It's an ARM9 cpu. Good luck.
                  Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

If you know c++ and MFC/winapi you can write programs for the ARM9 cpu via Microsoft Embedded c++.

The question is: how do you get the programs on there? Sure it has update exe's to do things like update video drivers or gps maps, but that's rather specific stuff you can't really piggy back ontop of that.
                    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
                    RevFE
                    My Shop

Comment

Wow, I just realized this was from 2009...Curious if OP was able to figure this out. I'm sure there are more answers in other places but since I was here it made sense to ask.

Comment

Working...
                      X