How to mount the case

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to mount the case

So I am nearing the end of the main build phase of my car pc. But I am lost as to how to get is secured down into my trunk.

I want to be able to take it in and out, as well as not leave a lot of evidence it was ever there(if I sell, or for whatever reason.)

Anyone have any ideas on how to attach this. It would be most likely sitting on the floor of the trunk on carpet.

You might be able to use some velco strips, I am using velcro strips to hold my GPS in place inside my car. I picked 'em up at the local fabric store for about $2. The bottom has adhesive that you just peel and stick to the device, then the velcro just grabs the fabric and holds in place.

FAQ to the FAQ - Great Starting Point

My 2006 Honda Accord Carputer - Work In Progress
    My 1997 Chrysler Concorde Carputer - Died

Comment

I thought about this. But the PC weighs somewhere between 5-10 lbs. and I want to build a frame that it sits on with springs on each corner like shock absorbers because it is a sports car with a hard suspension, and I am using a regular spinning HDD. I think this is my best option it I don't want to mess anything up though....

Comment

Originally posted by mazda8 View Post
        I thought about this. But the PC weighs somewhere between 5-10 lbs. and I want to build a frame that it sits on with springs on each corner like shock absorbers because it is a sports car with a hard suspension, and I am using a regular spinning HDD. I think this is my best option it I don't want to mess anything up though....
        Completely wrong ideology. HDDs are meant to be rigidly mounted. Instead of a bump damaging 1 sector if mounted rigily, it would destroy a lot if mounted on a spring setup. The springs would bounce up and down essentially turning 1 bump into 1 full bump, a 1/2 bump, a 1/4 bump, an 1/8 bump, and to infinity as the spring will keep on going.

Mount it rigidly, be happy. HDDs are cheap anyways.

As to actually securing the case, +1 for velcro. Its how mine is mounted on my trunk's floor. I have quick connect parts for power and I/O, so I just unplug a few cables and rip the case up. Easy.
        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

i just used double sided tape on mine. It's on a truck with stiffer suspension. I run through speed bumps at over 30mph and i've had no problems so far.

Comment

My first carputer I used velcro. I had a laptop, removed the screen and kb, and used velcro to hold it verticaly in the trunk. It held for a very long time. And it is easy to remove.
            I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet .

Comment

+1 to the velcro, pick up a package of adhesive industrial velcro and just use the hook side.

The suspension idea is what everyone wants to do at first since they are worried about the computer dying from vibration, but seriously, it'll be fine.

If you really wanted to though, soft foam or something like that would be a much better shock absorber, no resonance... I'd just mount the HDD in it rather than the whole case, if I was worried about it.
              Car PC Project Status
              Audio......[====================] 100%
              Computer.[====================] 100%
              Car.........[====================] 30%
              <------ If my information is helpful, give me some rep! The scale thingy :)

Comment

Originally posted by Ramb0_Command0 View Post
                +1 to the velcro, pick up a package of adhesive industrial velcro and just use the hook side.

The suspension idea is what everyone wants to do at first since they are worried about the computer dying from vibration, but seriously, it'll be fine.

If you really wanted to though, soft foam or something like that would be a much better shock absorber, no resonance... I'd just mount the HDD in it rather than the whole case, if I was worried about it.
                The issue with the foam is the heat... and I don't want to put the case on it. I am gong to build a base with radial fans that blow outside air to the bottom...

Comment

velcro all the way i have used it on all my builds even still if you deal with bumpy roads it may be best to upgrade to a 2.5" hdd as they take alot more shock

1993 Mitsubishi Verada

My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                    Completely wrong ideology. HDDs are meant to be rigidly mounted. Instead of a bump damaging 1 sector if mounted rigily, it would destroy a lot if mounted on a spring setup. The springs would bounce up and down essentially turning 1 bump into 1 full bump, a 1/2 bump, a 1/4 bump, an 1/8 bump, and to infinity as the spring will keep on going.

Mount it rigidly, be happy. HDDs are cheap anyways.

As to actually securing the case, +1 for velcro. Its how mine is mounted on my trunk's floor. I have quick connect parts for power and I/O, so I just unplug a few cables and rip the case up. Easy.
                    I 100% agree with toaster. You would be adding alot more bounce to the HDD. How to mount a drive has been discussed so many times in the past. I myself have tried mounting vertical and horizontal and they all have the same result. I have not had any HDD break at all. Now if you intend to go rally racing then I suggest a Solid State Drive. I actually have my HDD mounted upside down and still have no issues. 2.5 drives are made to take a beating, they have to in order to be put into laptops. I doubt that you will put the car over bumps and lumps all the time so you wont have much shock.
                    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                    4X MK808b
                    3x Perixx Touchpads
                    3x 7 inch Screens
                    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                    1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
                    X