Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to integrate a carPC into a 70s Jag?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to integrate a carPC into a 70s Jag?

Hi guys, I have a 1973 S1 XJ12 Jag. This means the walnut dash and the LSD inspired interior colours - see http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/class...guar_xj6_3.jpg for what I'm working with.

I want to build a system to do the following:

Control my thermofans (it's not 100% authentic under the bonnet) - with inputs such as temp, speed, brakes on/off, A/C on/off and with two fan speeds.
    Play MP3s - I can upgrade the stock A/C if I use the space the stereo is currently taking.
    Climate control.

But I don't want an obtrusive screen; it's an old car so I can't just build a touchscreen into it and have it look factory. If I had a modern car this would be a no-brainer.

So far I'm leaning towards a fusion brain and a small laptop running a VB2008 program to control it all (I'm familiar with VB). MP3 control via a small iPod like control.

So is this viable or is there a better way to go? I'd prefer to have a small cradle with an iPhone like device that drops in and off I go but I'm pretty sure that's not possible (yet).

Or does someone make a small iPhone sized touchscreen?

You might want to subscribe to BugByte's thread on replacing a CarPC with an iPhone [http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...e-install.html].

Comment

Another thing you can do is buy a pocket PC, or PDA with Windows CE 4.2 and up. Centrafuse is releasing a front end for that. So now people can literally x-out a PC and use a small pocket PC.
      Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
      4X MK808b
      3x Perixx Touchpads
      3x 7 inch Screens
      1X 7 inch motorized Screen
      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Thanks for the idea guys, I'll keep an eye on BugByte's progress. As for fabrication, there is a space I can create for a small screen but it requires moving the gear selector and some metalwork so it's a little major for now.

With the Pocket PC/PDA or anything running CE, is there a VB version that can run on one?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Motley_foo1 View Post
          Thanks for the idea guys, I'll keep an eye on BugByte's progress. As for fabrication, there is a space I can create for a small screen but it requires moving the gear selector and some metalwork so it's a little major for now.

With the Pocket PC/PDA or anything running CE, is there a VB version that can run on one?

Thanks
          Well CF CE uses .NET compact frame work 2.0. Have not seen any others.
          Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
          4X MK808b
          3x Perixx Touchpads
          3x 7 inch Screens
          1X 7 inch motorized Screen
          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys, now I've bought an iPod Shuffle and I'm off on another tangent

Comment

Working...
            X