Creating a CarPC OS from scratch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a CarPC OS from scratch?

Hi, guys. i just started a thread about creating a new carpc interface and i was thinking about the limitations to present carpc's and i realized one of the big issues is the underlying OS which is mostly XP or sometimes Vista. The OS tends to be overkill since there are so many things running in it that are not being used. there are also compatibility issues and size problems.

i was wondering has anyone tried writing an OS dedicated just to car computing since that would cut out a lot of unneeded functions and make the system more efficient and also boot up in an instant. i think there are linux distros out there that can be whipped up into a superior carpc OS. i mean i could be wrong but what do you guys think?

Have you checked out moblin? It's main purpose is to be a fast boot mobile linux OS.
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

Comment

I don't think so. Linux just doesn't have support for all that windows does, and writing a CarPC os that'll replace windows would be near impossible. I mean look at how long ReactOS has been working on that very thing, and that OS hardly has any functionality.

Maybe if you had a specialized hardware platform this would be a good idea. Due to so many different configs, setups, hardware, peripherals, software, etc... this just wouldn't work.
      Tidder

Try RevFE
      The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

o yeah i heard of moblin. its a pretty lightweight OS just need someone to code it into a nice carpc OS. should be a challenge for the coders out there

Comment

Like say... nGhost? (Do a search on these forums for it)
          "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
          RevFE
          My Shop

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
            I don't think so. Linux just doesn't have support for all that windows does, and writing a CarPC os that'll replace windows would be near impossible. I mean look at how long ReactOS has been working on that very thing, and that OS hardly has any functionality.

Maybe if you had a specialized hardware platform this would be a good idea. Due to so many different configs, setups, hardware, peripherals, software, etc... this just wouldn't work.
            true but linux has more than enough support for what is required in a carpc. for most people much of the functionality windows provides is not really needed in a carpc environment. i mean the main reason for a carpc is not really to use xp or vista in ur car but to have a central point that controls all the major things in a car eg. HVAC,entertainment,daignostics, weather,security etc. more than 90% of hardware being used by carpcs is supported in linux. ReactOS is an attempt at cloning windows which again defeats the purpose of a carpc. what am thinking about is more a specialized OS for a specific purpose that can run on a majority of hardware, i am pretty sure it can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
              Like say... nGhost? (Do a search on these forums for it)
              sounds interresting, does it run on linux or is a standalone OS

Comment

I've documented the process I use to create LinuxICE2 - an OS specifically for use in vehicles. It tells you how you can create your own OS from scratch.

http://wiki.openice.org/index.php/Linuxice2

I would however highly recommend if you want to do this, just help out with LinuxICE2: there's power in combined effort. I wrote the article to encourage parallel development and possibly make the build scripts better and more robust.
                Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Originally posted by kev000 View Post
                  I've documented the process I use to create LinuxICE2 - an OS specifically for use in vehicles. It tells you how you can create your own OS from scratch.

I would however highly recommend if you want to do this, just help out with LinuxICE2: there's power in combined effort. I wrote the article to encourage parallel development and possibly make the build scripts better and more robust.

wow thats genius i didn't there were people working on a project like this. thats massive.
                  about the coding part , i am so sorry but all i have is ideas, i don't really know how to code or anything like that, just designing my own interface on photoshop is proving to be a uphill task lol

Comment

o by the way am going to keep an eye on your work and i hope you guys (its not just a solo effort right?) succeed.

Comment

@kev0000 whats the bootup from cold like on linuxICE

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                        Tidder, shhh! The community here at mp3car has the power to provide support for *all* carpc hardware in *any* OS they choose. There is more than enough knowledge power here. I'd love for the community at large to back Linux because its a better base for this type of application. The desire from the community is lacking, so LinuxICE isn't nearly what it has the potential to be. I'm not dogging the community, I believe the community is just putting their effort in that which they perceive to be most valuable. Maybe I haven't convinced enough that Linux is really a better platform, and thus more valuable? idk.

BTW, ReactOS was never meant as anything more than a science experiment creating a managed OS. It may become something, but MS isn't putting very much behind it to make it something in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by kloves2fly View Post
                          @kev0000 whats the bootup from cold like on linuxICE
                          for LinuxICE2, we are shooting for < 20seconds cold (from post). moving forward, and as ubuntu incorperates more moblin fast-boot stuff we'll hopefullly get that to <10seconds.

Comment

for LinuxICE2, we are shooting for < 20seconds cold (from post). moving forward, and as ubuntu incorperates more moblin fast-boot stuff we'll hopefullly get that to <10seconds.
                            wow thats pretty sweet but with so much fat shaved off should be doable.

Comment

Originally posted by kloves2fly View Post
                              true but linux has more than enough support for what is required in a carpc.
                              Ha, really? Point me to a turn by turn nav software that runs on linux that's at least as good as iGuidance. Don't point me to Navit, it doesn't work currently. Don't point me to GPS Drive, that's no good either. Don't tell me wine, I've already been there, done that.
                              Tidder

Try RevFE
                              The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Working...
                              X