new guy need guidance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new guy need guidance

Hello, New to the carputer idea, Been looking for indash all in one for my truck, not really impressed with the indash dvd/nav units, so im thinking of going in the computer direction. Reason being i don't like the 45 second boot times of the indash units. I want to turn the key and have music within 10 seconds. Is this even possible with a carputer? I have been searching videos on youtube and have found a few that were 4-6 seconds?

Cost isn't an concern, I just want it to work. If someone could give me quick shove in the right direction to find what i should expect and what to look for that would be great!

scott

Originally posted by scottlucas View Post
    Cost isn't an concern, I just want it to work.
    Is it REALLY not any concern, or is it not a concern to a certain point?

If you want a really quick-booting system and have an unlimited budget, you can take it right to the hardware level and buy the hyperdrive5:
    http://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/07042003/hardware.htm

That device lets you use RAM as a hard drive so you get unthinkable speeds. With that, they claim windows xp boots in 4 seconds.

If you don't want to go down that road, you can strip down windows xp using a tool like nLite. I can't even imagine what boot speed would be like if you mixed the hyperdrive and a stripped down copy of xp.

You can also go down the linux route. There are a bunch of quick-booting linux systems out there.

Other people on these forums use hibernate or standby with their operating systems to boot up.

The system I'm working on right now, will boot whenever I unlock the door, or also on a schedule where it guesses when I'm likely to enter the car.
    My Nearly Complete Car:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
    http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
    http://paulfurtado.com/

Comment

Depending on the quality of your hardware and how your system is configured you could have some pretty quick boot times. However, if your expecting 10 seconds or less on every boot then you might be disappointed. A fresh install with minimal software and drivers to load will boot relatively quick. Boot times will vary though on individual sytems. If you want instant music your better off sticking with a good head unit rather than a CarPC. In my personal opinion if a CarPC boots and starts playing music by the time I put my seat belt on and backing down the driveway to leave the house then I'd be happy. I have a Alpine in dash DVD head unit and it takes about 15-20 seconds from initial start to read a disc and start playing, now if you add navigation to that I could see where your getting the 45 second load times. You have to take into account loading of resources (maps, music off a disc, etc). A CarPc will have to load these resources as well and that takes a little time. Even my home gaming PC which has an Raptor Raid 0 Array and and i7 Extreme CPU still takes over 10 seconds to boot. Personally I can wait 30-45 seconds and it doesn't bother me a bit, but that's just me.
      M.D.M.A

Music for Dance
      Music with Attitude

Comment

Originally posted by DJMikeT View Post
        Depending on the quality of your hardware and how your system is configured you could have some pretty quick boot times. However, if your expecting 10 seconds or less on every boot then you might be disappointed. A fresh install with minimal software and drivers to load will boot relatively quick. Boot times will vary though on individual sytems. If you want instant music your better off sticking with a good head unit rather than a CarPC. In my personal opinion if a CarPC boots and starts playing music by the time I put my seat belt on and backing down the driveway to leave the house then I'd be happy. I have a Alpine in dash DVD head unit and it takes about 15-20 seconds from initial start to read a disc and start playing, now if you add navigation to that I could see where your getting the 45 second load times. You have to take into account loading of resources (maps, music off a disc, etc). A CarPc will have to load these resources as well and that takes a little time. Even my home gaming PC which has an Raptor Raid 0 Array and and i7 Extreme CPU still takes over 10 seconds to boot. Personally I can wait 30-45 seconds and it doesn't bother me a bit, but that's just me.
        I disagree, with major tweaking of the OS and depending on the MoBo and hardware, you can get 10 seconds or less, especially if you use hibernation. Mine takes 20 seconds cold boot and just about hits 10 seconds with hibernation. My system is faster if I dont have all 20+ USB devices connected. So it is possible, just takes research.... Here is a thread of some mods you can do. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/oper...-msconfig.html
        Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
        4X MK808b
        3x Perixx Touchpads
        3x 7 inch Screens
        1X 7 inch motorized Screen
        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

I wasn't implying that it wasn't possible, I was just sharing my real world experiences. As you say with "major" tweaking a lot is possible. I was also referring to cold boots, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Anyway here's a nice in depth review on the DDR2 drive if you chose you go that route.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...1&limitstart=0

If you look on Page 10 of the review you will see the benchmark load times of Windows XP for
          various drives.

This one coming in at 18 secs from Power to Login, I'm sure this is an "Untweeked" OS though.

Hope this helps a little.
          M.D.M.A

Music for Dance
          Music with Attitude

Comment

so if i wanted to just use that centrafuse software or whatever how long would that take?

Comment

Working...
            X