Power Source

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Source

Im running a pretty basic setup. Just an old 2.5GHz dell computer and a 7" Liliput. For power I want to have the 300W power inverter in the trunk which the computer will plug into. Can I run 10 gauge wire from the battery to the trunk inverter so it would always be powered? Will that kill my battery even though the computer will be off? Or should I wire it to only provide power when the car is on?

My inverter:

Thanks.

Anything that is always on will eventually kill your battery. How fast depends on many things.

Why not get a good DC-DC with shutdown controller built in? Inverts are messy, noisy, and lazy...
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

I considered DC-DC PSUs but this way I didnt have to buy anything. I also dont mind manually turning the computer on or off as I am going to re-wire the computer switch in the center console. As far as messy, the inverter will be in the trunk also and all the wires will be under the carpet.

The only thing that would always be on would be the inverter, and whatever little power the computer draws when its off. If its a problem I can wire a on/off switch for the inverter thats easily accessible also. I just want to see what other people about it.

Comment

well if u alredy spent ur money on inverter then have a switch before the inverter so u can turn power off when u leave your car... it consumes power byitseld + you comp PSU always use power, so if u dont brake sircuit u most liklely will be out of battery in few days...

DC-DC Car PSU are way to do if u dont know electrical engeeniring to build quick and dirty alternatives
        Acura / Honda A/V CarPC Adapter GA-NET+
        Centrafuse Garmin Mobile PC Skin - GMPC Rebellium Skin
        3D Tuning and Car Visualizer - Preview your car in 3D, change paint job and rims

Comment

That "few days" was sorta what I was looking for. I drive my car just about everyday. Im probably going to wire in a switch in before the inverter that will be in the center console. Im an engineering student, not electrical, but have taken the basic electrical classes and would know what im doing. Ive also done alot of custom wiring in my car for other stuff. Also the biggest reason Im not going with the DC-DC now is because of budget. Maybe in the future I will go with it. Right now Im doing the entire CarPC for the cost of the screen plus about $40 for the extension wires of having the computer in the trunk.

Comment

well my first carpac was totaled $99 Mini_ITX mobo + $150 screen
            Its still too risky to allow uncontrolled powerdarin. Especcially if you hapen to live in cold area as wehn its less then -4C outside the battery works differently
            Acura / Honda A/V CarPC Adapter GA-NET+
            Centrafuse Garmin Mobile PC Skin - GMPC Rebellium Skin
            3D Tuning and Car Visualizer - Preview your car in 3D, change paint job and rims

Comment

Originally posted by thestellarinc View Post
              I considered DC-DC PSUs but this way I didnt have to buy anything. I also dont mind manually turning the computer on or off as I am going to re-wire the computer switch in the center console. As far as messy, the inverter will be in the trunk also and all the wires will be under the carpet.

The only thing that would always be on would be the inverter, and whatever little power the computer draws when its off. If its a problem I can wire a on/off switch for the inverter thats easily accessible also. I just want to see what other people about it.
              Well let me say, there is a chance if you use an inverter, something will break and you'll still end up spending the money. I had an inverter for my hubs and I went through about 4 or 5 of them before I figured out that the inverter was killing them. I then bought a DC-DC and all is good.
              Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
              4X MK808b
              3x Perixx Touchpads
              3x 7 inch Screens
              1X 7 inch motorized Screen
              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Cheap inverters put out really crappy signals. Since you've taken basic electronics, all it does is output a square wave. The easiest wave to make electrically, hence the cheapness. Also they are made so cheap, that when they switch a bunch of electrical noise and interference is introduced into both sides of the inverter (the car's DC side making audio noise through the speakers and video lines through your screen as well as the output side and everything powered through it gets a dirty signal). This constant noise and spikes as it switches destroys things. Probably wont happen overnight, but you are slowly widdling away at the life of your components.
                Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Working...
                X