want to use a extranal hard drive for a video player for my car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• want to use a extranal hard drive for a video player for my car

Is there a way to use a extranal hard drive as a video player for my car like will it hook up to a car video screen my kids always mess up the dvd by not putting them back in the case and im tired of it so I have a tb hard drive that is not being used I want to run as a video player for my wifes suv

there was someone else her tha also had a similar idea--havent seen or heard back as to weather it worked though... basically, you would need media hdd case, with either a remote, or buttons on the front to control what is playing, and then you would have to adapt a dc-dc regulator to power it, but it could be done.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

From googling the topic I found some info on a philips DVP5990 that was bought at Best Buy for $63. Someone has a halfTera connected to it watching DiVX movies, but said over 3/4 full it starts to skip real bad. The said something about "Get a dvd player with a usb connection, make sure your hard drive is formatted in fat32, then you should be able to play AVI movie file."

On another forum I visit, I found this post:
      The Philips 5990 is one economical player that will do that. You use a external hard drive formatted as FAT32 to store the videos. Here's a link to the method I used: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers?...&hits=50#70038

Other players will also work in a similar fashion. There are also stand alone hard drives that output video that you can hook directly to a TV. One example: http://forum.videohelp.com/topic358929.html

IS YOUR FRIEND
      HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

excelant examples, but just remember that those were still being used in a house(i see no mention of otherwise). for auto use, you will need to figure out a way to regulate the power going into the drive(not hard, but there are no plug and play solutions for this).
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
          excelant examples, but just remember that those were still being used in a house(i see no mention of otherwise). for auto use, you will need to figure out a way to regulate the power going into the drive(not hard, but there are no plug and play solutions for this).
          I've got a Maxtor 1TB external in my armrest and I just use a Carnetix1260 to power it, my USB hubs, my firewire hub, and my DVDRW. Works great!
          HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

Originally posted by pcpete View Post
            That title is begging for some comment
            Now i see it !!

I had to stop reading by recognition.
            OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
            Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
            Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
            BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
            M2-ATX Power Supply
            RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
            Windows XP SP3

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, How funny. I didnt see it either until I saw the comment. Once I saw that, the other stood out.

Razorback1999: Maybe you should get something like a Zune player. They have cables so you can connect to RCA port, which I assume your screen has? Only draw back is you have to control it from the Zune.
              Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
              4X MK808b
              3x Perixx Touchpads
              3x 7 inch Screens
              1X 7 inch motorized Screen
              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
              X