my first project, but unsure of what i am doing so anyone help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my first project, but unsure of what i am doing so anyone help please

I have a 95 gmc yukon. I have noticed (or i think) it is almost impossible to install a double din gps navigator or dvd player in my dash, as it is single din. Im assuming i can fabricate my own custom one but might need a lot of modification in order to install the 2 din gps dvd player which i got handed down from an uncle.

It's an Eclipse AVN6600. Now how do can i manually test it without installing it?

I would like to install this 2 din dvd player if possible but im unsure of how much work it will take for this or would it be impossible to the point i should just keep the single din so i dont F something up as i am new to this.

i hope you guys can help i would really appreciate any input. especially if theres a way to test the gps, or of any shops in the bayarea (san francisco area) where i could go to get it checked or repaired?

Thank You

I'm going to make a quick post but refuse to help you further until you fix at least some of your grammatical mistakes.

Is the Yukon double DIN or just single DIN?
    to test it you can just wire up the negative/positive wires of the deck directly to the battery. To test sound and features, you'll have to install it.
    Ampie Case
    2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
    Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
    Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

i beleive 95-99 GM trucks/suv's all used a 1.5 din dash opening, hence the problem with the 2 din radio.

Personally, i would power up the radio, make sure it works, and then sell it for a car computer....
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by Maheriano View Post
        I'm going to make a quick post but refuse to help you further until you fix at least some of your grammatical mistakes.

Is the Yukon double DIN or just single DIN?
        to test it you can just wire up the negative/positive wires of the deck directly to the battery. To test sound and features, you'll have to install it.
        there i fixed it. I was at work so i tried to type it really fast and logoff before i was caught. lol
        mine is single din or ive hurd it is 1.5 din originally.

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
          i beleive 95-99 GM trucks/suv's all used a 1.5 din dash opening, hence the problem with the 2 din radio.

Personally, i would power up the radio, make sure it works, and then sell it for a car computer....
          a car computer? ive never hurd of something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc View Post
            a car computer? ive never hurd of something like this.
            if you have never heard of a car computer then I think you are in the wrong place... this whole website is based off CarPCs.

Comment

Originally posted by bratnetwork View Post
              if you have never heard of a car computer then I think you are in the wrong place... this whole website is based off CarPCs.
              this is the reason i registered to this website. ive seen people build a computer on here but when the guy posted buy a computer i didint know they came built already. im not good at either. But i want to learn and want to soak up as much info as i can so i can build my own stuff to my vehicle.

Comment

this is the reason i registered to this website. ive seen people build a computer on here but when the guy posted buy a computer i didint know they came built already. im not good at either. But i want to learn and want to soak up as much info as i can so i can build my own stuff to my vehicle.
                Lots here to read - check out a video on how to build a carpc on the Robert Wray Vimeo channel, good luck. If it is for your own car, it is helpful to build your own.
                Suggestions or Comments on the forums? Post here.

mp3Car store order questions or products that you would like to sell on the store? Email store @ mp3car.com

Feel free to pm me if you:
                • Have a general comment on mp3Car's products or services
                • Have a product you would like to have tested by the mp3Car community
                • Have a file you would like mp3Car to host
                • Have a cool idea that would improve the forums

Comment

Originally posted by Heather View Post
                  Lots here to read - check out a video on how to build a carpc on the Robert Wray Vimeo channel, good luck. If it is for your own car, it is helpful to build your own.
                  it is really best to build your own-- that way, when something goes wrong, you can usually have a better understanding of what it needs to fix it.

there are alot of people that come here for car stereo advise, so if no-one else has said anything, i usually like to add that this is a car computer website, devoted to installing a computer in your car.

granted, there is nothing that is easy about it(i spent 3 months setting mine up in my basement), and you might loose some sanity in the process, but in the end, most of us think it is worth it.

next project? subaru brz
                  carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                    it is really best to build your own-- that way, when something goes wrong, you can usually have a better understanding of what it needs to fix it.

there are alot of people that come here for car stereo advise, so if no-one else has said anything, i usually like to add that this is a car computer website, devoted to installing a computer in your car.

granted, there is nothing that is easy about it(i spent 3 months setting mine up in my basement), and you might loose some sanity in the process, but in the end, most of us think it is worth it.
                    i really appreciate your help! im sure its going to be a long time before i could get something like that started since im not ver computer savy. But that computer idea is starting to get my attention, id have to look at a lot of builds in order to get my brain going.

like i said i really appreciate your help!

Comment

i have a blackberry and have internet access, now if i were to build a computer, would i be able to use my phones internet service to load webpages on the car screen? or would i have to buy an internet connection for my car in order to get internet? Im not sure how this works.... since i see the iphone can be projected on the screens.

Comment

i have a blackberry and have internet access, now if i were to build a computer, would i be able to use my phones internet service to load webpages on the car screen?
                        You could use an application like PDANet to tether your Blackberry to the computer, giving you Internet access. Note that your service provider may take a dim view of tethering so check your service agreement first.

Comment

Originally posted by Sicarius View Post
                          You could use an application like PDANet to tether your Blackberry to the computer, giving you Internet access. Note that your service provider may take a dim view of tethering so check your service agreement first.
                          i ckecked and customer care said i would pay about $15 more for tethering, which idk if its worth it if i already have internet on my phone. i guess what im looking at is the expense this is going to put on me. how much does a reg computer cost to build? average....

Comment

i ckecked and customer care said i would pay about $15 more for tethering, which idk if its worth it if i already have internet on my phone. i guess what im looking at is the expense this is going to put on me. how much does a reg computer cost to build? average....
                            the other option for internet would be to get a usb wifi dongle-- the positive side is that there is no monthly fees, and there are wifi hotspots everywhere. the downside is that you must be parked to use the internet, because as soon as you strat moving, the signal will drop off pretty quick.

i would estimate(this is very relative to the computer and installation-- look up hijacks install ) the cost to be around $500-$1500 for a general build-- the $500 builds usually are built using parts that you already have, for all new parts, expect to be closer to $1500. these are nice round numbers, and some people will probably start to chime in that they built one for $xxx.xx. the numbers were extremly rounded off, and depending on where, when, and what type of parts you get, you could be way below or way above the $1500 figure(i ended up above it, but really don't want to know how much above).

one of the larger costs is typically the vga monitor-- becasue you have a 1.5 din, you have some choices, either you can get a single din screen that will come out of the dash, or you can modify the dash and install a 7" screen(roughly a 2 din opening). this is where you will need to do alot of research--i havent heard any praise for any of the 1 din screens...

next project? subaru brz
                            carpc undecided

Comment

[QUOTE=soundman98;1331533]the other option for internet would be to get a usb wifi dongle-- the positive side is that there is no monthly fees, and there are wifi hotspots everywhere. the downside is that you must be parked to use the internet, because as soon as you strat moving, the signal will drop off pretty quick.
                              QUOTE]

i just apreciate a number!

Comment

Working...
                              X