my carPC Idea '84 camaro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my carPC Idea '84 camaro

I have a Camaro with a GM din and a half stereo opening. I want the DVD rom, USB, SD slots in a head unit with the brain box with mother board, PCI slots, HDD somewhere else, if only right behind the stereo.

My idea is to start with an aftermarket din and a half stereo Shell and build the head unit there then find a small PC case and build the brain box is this plausible? I have made a VERY rough sketch of what the layout of the Head unit would be

will this work?

oh yea transformers car =)
    if you good with fabrication then it is possible. ... i wopuld also stick with front load DVD roam instead of regular as you draw it.
    Acura / Honda A/V CarPC Adapter GA-NET+
    Centrafuse Garmin Mobile PC Skin - GMPC Rebellium Skin
    3D Tuning and Car Visualizer - Preview your car in 3D, change paint job and rims

Comment

like tempgp said, as long as you have good fabrications skills this will work, i also agree that a front loading, or laptop cd/dvd drive would be a better alternative to a standard tray loading home pc drive. what were your plans for the screen?
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

I was hoping for some hardware suggestions, already have the Screen its a 7" flip down touchscreen

only way I can see connecting the head unit to the CPU is via USB, I am having trouble with the Media card reader, they all come with a 9-pin USB header not standard usb. An adaptor would be perfect, then it would work with my 2 Usb ports too. Ebay has 15' usb "printer cables" aren't they standard USB cables? I was planning on using a powered USB hub and powering the DVD player too
        whats the best silim ATAPI to USB adapter?

Edit: found this, http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...ge.php?pID=898 gooD idea?

Comment

you can always DIY byt cating and replacing connector heqads, thats as to cable. As to other part of the question i didnt really get what you are asking?
          3D Tuning and Car Visualizer - Preview your car in 3D, change paint job and rims

Comment

Well you can get something along the lines of a FitPC which would easily fit in the space behind the radio. I have a third gen camaro (87) so I'm soon going to be running into the same issues as I try to integrate a carpc into it. As for the MediaCard reader, you could wire that directly into some Cat5 cable (you MUST use twisted pair for lengths of USB), but you're likely to run into interference issues. That cable you linked might work if it's long enough. There aren't any standard USB connection media card readers out there?
            "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
            RevFE
            My Shop

Comment

I could have sworn I saw an adapter for ATAPI to USB that had a round power jack instead of the typical 4 pin floppy power option. I tried searching it on here but I came up with nothing. The power still needed to be 5v. which I might as well ask too, how do I go from 12v to 5v in a car?

here's my crazy wiring diagram. am I over complicating this? over simplifying? missing something? also the piece I was talking about above is in there (blue)

Comment

it doesn't look like you have overcomplicated anything yet-- you have only just begun!

i have not seen any atapi-usb adapters that only have one round plug yet,this is all i could find:
                http://www.addonics.com/products/io/adsatapisa.asp

I have been using a atapi-ide adapter and then a ide-usb convertor for my own setup-- i tried a ide-sata adapter connected to a sata-usb, but i had issues with the setup not initilizing before the rest of the computer powered up.

for 5v power, you can use the dcl11, or the carnetix cnx-p5v

http://store.mp3car.com/Automotive_P..._p/pwr-022.htm

http://store.mp3car.com/Carnetix_CNX..._p/pwr-016.htm

both will provide regulated 5volts, up to 15 watts, and can be mounted anywhere you need it.

malcom-- is there a specific color code to use cat5 for usb interconnects? i tried to make my own a while ago(i just soldered all the wires however i felt was the best order), and was never able to get any devices to connect over my cat5 cable(windows just gave me the-'device not recognized' beep).

next project? subaru brz
                carpc undecided

Comment

soundman98,
                  how long was your CAT5/6 extention? USB can allow up to 7 meters wire (recomennded 3.5m max) and device on other end has to have its own power for this lenght. Signaling wire in separate pair, ground and power in another pair, thats what i had... oh cable waht Cat6 double shilded. my lenght 15 feet

Comment

i used 10-12ft of cat5 and used a old usb port from the front of a old tower. i have since hacked up some 6 foot usb extensions, and the extensions work fine now.

next project? subaru brz
                    carpc undecided

Comment

if extentions work why go DIY? =)
                      my first rule of carpc: if it works dont touch it =)

Comment

well I found what I was looking for but, its IDE to USB but that's ok right? I just have to find a slot loading IDE DVD-rom

http://www.centrix-intl.com/details.asp?productid=3022

Comment

I found the part I was looking for it says its an IDE - USB adapter. Whats that mean for drive selection?

got my touch screen today, DOA!!!

the touch screen part works but the monitor doesn't

Comment

what monitor u ordered?

Comment

Originally posted by Jiels_liken View Post
                              I found the part I was looking for it says its an IDE - USB adapter. Whats that mean for drive selection?

got my touch screen today, DOA!!!

the touch screen part works but the monitor doesn't

according to your link, and assuming the picture is correct, that is deffinatly a ATAPI-usb adapter, so your options are open to any slimline(atapi connector) laptop drive you want...

that one is really cool! i wish i had come across that before ending up with my atapi-ide-usb setup...and for only $9....

I really like the idea of using that adapter instead of my current setup, and thnk taht there could be alot of other people that could use it also, so i made a thread in the store suggestions area(Jeils, you get the credit for finding it though..)

next project? subaru brz
                              carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                              X