Compatability... I'm I missing anything

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compatability... I'm I missing anything

I have built computers before and am confident in doing so. I've been researching the CarPC for a while and I'm finally ordering what I think I need for the build. Can you guys help confirm that I've got it down.

Here's my PC / Power Components:

Case - VoomPC-2 CarPC Enclosure

Board - JetWay JNC62K-LF

CPU - AMD Athlon X2 4450B 2.3GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core

RAM - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB

Power - M2_ATX_160W

Hard Drive - Fujitsu MHZ2160BH-G2 160GB 5400 RPM 2.5" SATA

Hard Drive Converter - Notebook HD to IDE Converter

DVD Drive - Sony Optiarc Slim Combo Black SATA Model

DVD Drive Converter - Slim_Line_Type_Adapter

Besides a monitor, is this everything I need? I'm trying to make sure that when I take everything out of the box, I can just get to building this thing from start to finish and avoid the hole "damn I needed wire/adapter/etc to finish"

I know there's lot's of debate about the M2 but this case is made for it. And with AMD CoolnQuit the processor runs at even lower wattage then the advertised 45W.

I don't know if you'll be able to avoid the "damn I needed wire/adapter/etc to finish".

Depends on how you plan on mounting everything. Looks like you have the basic PC components. But then you need to consider if you're mounting the PC in the back. If you are and you want to keep the DVD drive up front. Then you'd have to plan for that. You'll also need whatever bezels/mounts to fit the monitor into the car. I'm also assuming that you're not planning on GPS, bluetooth, or radio.

Comment

I'm going completely Head Unit free with a Visteon HDZ300 for HD radio and the MJS HDR-RS232 Serial cable interface. I'll also be running a gps antenna by to the top of the rear deck. I'm not sure what program i'll use but for now I have a Magellan

I'll have everything mounted in the trunk to cut down on audio run and lessen the chance of EMI. So i'll need to get some usb extensions to connect to a monitor. The DVD drive [for now] i'll leave in the case. I won't really use it in the cab... i just need in to install the os for now.

Also for now i'll test it with a regular monitor... So it looks like I'll have all the wires/connectors, adapters etc to get this running as of right now?

Comment

Looks about right. Only thing I can think of is a way to power it up for your bench testing (unless you're powering it up in the car). You can use a normal desktop power supply or something like this: http://store.mo-co-so.com/index.php?...roducts_id=177 with http://store.mo-co-so.com/index.php?...roducts_id=211

For the future, you may also need a vga extension for your monitor.

Comment

heatsink, fan, thermal paste...

Comment

Thanks for the second look. I thought I might have had everything but having someone look it over and give me a thumbs up helps quit a bit.

Comment

You don't need the notebook HD to IDE converter.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Likewise, you don't need the DVD Drive Converter.

Comment

You're going to need one of these. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812270183

Otherwise you won't be able to hook up your optical drive. It uses a slim-sata style connector.
                  Tidder

Try RevFE
                  The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

Comment

Originally posted by djvillar View Post
                    I know there's lot's of debate about the M2 but this case is made for it. And with AMD CoolnQuit the processor runs at even lower wattage then the advertised 45W.
                    My M2 ran a JNC62K w/2gb ram and a 4850e just fine. I think you'll be ok.
                    Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                      You're going to need one of these. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812270183

Otherwise you won't be able to hook up your optical drive. It uses a slim-sata style connector.
                      What do you think would be better... the sata version with the slim line connetor or the E-IDE VERSION with the adapter. The M2 power supply from what I understand has the 4 pin floppy power connector which would be a direct connect with the slim line adapter. If I go with the sata drive will I have to cut some wires to piggy back the power from somewhere, if so where?

Comment

I think sticking to SATA would be overall better for airflow in your case. Them wide stupid IDE ribbons sure do get in the way.
                        Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                          I think sticking to SATA would be overall better for airflow in your case. Them wide stupid IDE ribbons sure do get in the way.
                          There's always round IDE cables, although they tend to cost more than a sata cable.

Comment

Old-school geeks fold their IDE cables origami-style.
                            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Well, everything is ordered, I'll keep you guys posted on the progress.

Thanks everyone

Comment

Working...
                              X