Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB TPMS Version 2.20 4 Sensor Kit Question

Hey Guys,

I saw found this product while I was searching on Google for a Wireless Sensor Kit. However, I have some questions about the particulars of the product.

I am on a college team that participates in a Competition called SuperMileage that is put on by SAE and Shell Oil Company. One of the most common problems at competition is low tires. So we are looking for a wireless pressure sensor to install in the wheels to monitor pressure. These are bike tires not car tires. I have a few questions that maybe somebody who has experience with these sensors could help me with.

-Would these work with bike tires?
    -Is it possible to read the data from the USB port? (Is how the information is transfered through USB available?)
    -If not is there a program we can run that will log the data into a log file? We could then read the information from the logfile and display it on our current computer system.

Thanks Guys.

Nate

When you say bike do you mean Bicycle or a Motor Bicycle?

If Bicycle then I would say no as the sensors are normally to big too fit into the innertubes.

If Motor Bicycle then it should be possible.

Comment

It is an actual bicycle tire not a motorcycle tire. Does anyone know of something else that may work for my application if this won't?

Nate

Comment

Being as this is a website about putting computers in automobiles, you probably won't find any information relevant to your application here. While someone here may have information for you we would hate for you to waste your time waiting for an answer that will not come. Perhaps post your question on a bicycle forum?
        "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
        RevFE
        My Shop

Comment

The reason I posted on this forum was because of my interest in the product that I stated above. I realize that this forum does not deal in bicycle tires very often, but it's not like the concepts are exponentially different. I'm not entirely convinced that the product can't be modified to work for my application. In addition, I don't think wireless tire pressure sensors are used very often on bicycle tires. It would be a pretty expensive installment for a bike and bike tires don't really blow out too often while your riding around town. Maybe on racing bikes there could be an application.

Through the research I've done on this topic I've found many different companies that make these things. A lot of them are just caps that go onto the end of the stem. These most likely could be made to work. The difficulty is I havn't found any that have a USB interface. A USB interface is nice for me because I could then integrate into the computer system that I built for the car last year.

I know there are a lot of car enthusiasts here who know a whole lot more than I do about all of this stuff and about what products are out on the market. I was just hoping maybe I'd stumble across something that would work for me.

Nate

Comment

Nothing commercial is going to fit inside a bike tire...those sensors are designed to fit inside of a tire many inches across.

However, there are companies that make screw on pressure sensors that would work for your application. They screw onto the valve stem in each tire and wirelessly send updates every 30 seconds or so....and if low pressure is detected every 2-10seconds depending on the unit.

A quick ebay search should give you a few different ones to choose from. Hope that helps...

EDIT:
            Missed your reply. Theres really no way to tell what will work with his unit other then to test them. Most TPMS units operate on one of two frequencies but the communication protocols are not standard. Some screw on units may work out of the box, some may work with a software tweak and some may just be incompatible.
            openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
            - Always Recruiting Developers -
            Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Ok, so lets say I buy this TPMS kit that they sell in the store. I saw on another post that it transmits at 433. 92MHz.

I just found this (just an example) http://www.secutire.net/ whose TPMS system which is the screw-on variety, also operates on the same frequency. In your opinion (I know that you can't say for sure obviously) could I use these sensors with the receivers from this kit. That would allow me to have screw-on sensors and a USB interface. Obviously once I got the data from the USB into my program I would have to find a way of decoding it. That could be quite difficult depending on how they transmit it. I guess I could get lucky and it'd be simple... But when does that ever happen??

Comment

One thing that I forgot to mention is that the receiver board does some decoding on-board so depending on what that is it may not be a software only solution. I think best bet would be to see what manufacturer makes the bundled sensors and see if they make screw in sensors also....that way you can be pretty sure they work together.
                openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                - Always Recruiting Developers -
                Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Hey thats a really good idea. Thanks. I emailed one of the guys at the store other questions. I will ask him about that. Thanks for your help.

Nate

Comment

Working...
                  X