quick question about using a larger fuse on alpine amp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick question about using a larger fuse on alpine amp

ok im going to be installing an older alpine amp in my car soon. the manual says to install a 25 amp fuse. would using anything higher be detrimental? or should i strictly use a 25 amp fuse? most install kits come with at least a 30 amp. its not a problem to buy a 25 amp one just want to be sure.

If it says to use 25, then use 25. Going bigger means providing less protection for the system.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

alright thanks just what i wanted to hear

Comment

if there is a 25 amp fuse on the amp, i don't feel that it is too big of a deal to run a 30 amp fuse at the battery (this would is primarily for 'worst case scenario' things-- you get in a wreck and the power cable gets cut/pinched...). if the amp is not fused(as some aren't...), i would highly recommend using only what they recommend, any higher could allow the amp to hurt itself.
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

thanks guys

Comment

As per soundman and others - if the unit has its own fusing - which it will have (surely!?) - the upstream fuses are irrelevant.

Equipment fusing is to protect itself (else fail in a "safe" manner").
            Other fuses are to protect downstream wiring only (ignoring discrimination; and undersized fuses that economically match the load).

Comment

Originally posted by OldSpark View Post
              As per soundman and others - if the unit has its own fusing - which it will have (surely!?) - the upstream fuses are irrelevant.

Equipment fusing is to protect itself (else fail in a "safe" manner").
              Other fuses are to protect downstream wiring only (ignoring discrimination; and undersized fuses that economically match the load).
              not all amps have fuses on the amp-- some very old amps, some cheap amps, and some newer, very high powered amps do not have integrated fuses(the first that comes to mind is Orions competition sub amps.).

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

yes the amp has its own fuse. i was talking about the inline fuse for the power wire to said amp. should have been more specific. youre saying the size of fuse there wont make a difference? thanks again.

Comment

it should be as close as possible.

next project? subaru brz
                  carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                  X