No announcement yet.

Commodore VY "S" Install (Help A n00b)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commodore VY "S" Install (Help A n00b)

Hey Guys,

After a great amount of umming and ahhing i have finally decided to dive into this carputer business. I Own a Holden Commodore VY "S" (2003), and i do have experience with pc hardware and auto electronics.

Questions

1.If i just used a carputer+touchscreen LCD Would i need a HU or just amps+speakers?

2.Amplifiers need a negative and positive input if im not mistaken (yes that was a question)

3.What would be a sufficent wattage for speakers, amps and subs (im a 19 year old guy with a love for bass )

4.i am planning to fabricate/install the LCD and laptop DVD Drive into the dash with the carputer behind it.......would this be awfully difficult?

i have looked around at a few other posts of the same car (vy) and will continue to do so

Thanks,
    Joshy
    2003 "Hothouse Red" VY Commodore - S Pack
    Planning: [+=========] 10% complete
    Purchasing: [==========] 0% complete
    Fabricating: [==========] 0% complete
    Installing: [==========] 0% complete

1.If i just used a carputer+touchscreen LCD Would i need a HU or just amps+speakers?

you will need some sort of amp-- some use a HU, others(like me) just use amps

2.Amplifiers need a negative and positive input if im not mistaken (yes that was a question)

on a headphone jack(or computer speaker output), the stereo signal shares the negative wire connection-- in most audio systems, the negative of the signal is a combined shield-- ie. all the outside parts of the rca's of one amp are wired together.

3.What would be a sufficent wattage for speakers, amps and subs (im a 19 year old guy with a love for bass )

there is no right answer for this. it is all personal preferance.

4.i am planning to fabricate/install the LCD and laptop DVD Drive into the dash with the carputer behind it.......would this be awfully difficult?

it depends on your fabrication skills. also, it depends on if there is enough room behind the dash for the install. i had originally planned on doing that also, and checked that the MB would fit, but there was not enough room to connect the cables...
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post

you will need some sort of amp-- some use a HU, others(like me) just use amps

on a headphone jack(or computer speaker output), the stereo signal shares the negative wire connection-- in most audio systems, the negative of the signal is a combined shield-- ie. all the outside parts of the rca's of one amp are wired together.

there is no right answer for this. it is all personal preferance.

it depends on your fabrication skills. also, it depends on if there is enough room behind the dash for the install. i had originally planned on doing that also, and checked that the MB would fit, but there was not enough room to connect the cables...

Cheers Mate,
      Have looked into the amp situation a bit further and am thinking of just having amps instead of a HU....
      The negative&positive thing of the amps... i mean like Power (12-13.5v) lol

Joshy

Comment

1:
        You only need amp+speakers, with amp connected to the sound card.

2:
        I think you should pay a professional to set up and wire the amp+speakers for you, as without
        proper wiring, you can ruin them, or your car (especially true if you want a really loud system).
        Side effects of bad setup: noise, rattle, dimming headlights, damaged speakers and amp, fire(!!!)

3:
        You shouldn't think about wattage, as it's just a number, you should try out some
        speakers+woofers+amp combinations, and buy the one that suit your needs.
        Anyway, the bigger wattage isn't always the better...

4:
        I think It's a better idea to place the pc close to the amp.
        (less noise, you only have to put the lcd and an external dvd drive into the dash)
        Check my worklog:
        Corsa + Atom + Gentoo Linux + 9" capacitive touchscreen

Lord of the boards: DFI CP100-NRM

"Or you can try Ubuntu, but than don't tell everyone you are using linux,
        because it's just a secret unreleased prebeta of Windows 3829" :P

Comment

Cheers Simple....
          Going to look into a few amps+subs.etc around town on the weekend

Comment

Originally posted by RumBoy89 View Post
            Cheers Mate,
            Have looked into the amp situation a bit further and am thinking of just having amps instead of a HU....
            The negative&positive thing of the amps... i mean like Power (12-13.5v) lol

Joshy
            Ah, I see. You would need a cable run directly from the battery for the positive wire input, and the negative part of the amp needs to be securly connected to the car metal for ground
            My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
            "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
              Ah, I see. You would need a cable run directly from the battery for the positive wire input, and the negative part of the amp needs to be securly connected to the car metal for ground
              Well, if he wants killer bass, the way to go is battery to the trunk,
              with direct ground cable to amp, but thats not a trivial do-it-yourself setup.

Cheers Simple....
              Going to look into a few amps+subs.etc around town on the weekend
              How much do you have for the whole system? (without the carPC)
              Check my worklog:

Comment

Originally posted by simplex View Post
                Well, if he wants killer bass, the way to go is battery to the trunk,
                with direct ground cable to amp, but thats not a trivial do-it-yourself setup.
                I Dont want a system thats going to rattle my wheel studs loose xD....
                Just something to add a bit of bass into the equation....

Originally posted by simplex View Post
                How much do you have for the whole system? (without the carPC)
                I dont "Have" anything but im going to purchase parts of the coming weeks for it all...
                Not sure about prices....tested my mates cd player out today (350w Sub) and it sounded ok....but i could go for a lil more

Comment

Not sure about prices....tested my mates cd player out today (350w Sub) and it sounded ok....but i could go for a lil more
                  Wattage is nothing, can you tell the type of your friend's sub?
                  There are differences between brands, 350W is not always 350W
                  Check my worklog:

Comment

Darn, from the title I was thinking someone was going to put a commodore computer into a car. I was having flashbacks from long ago!

I must be in a strange mood because when I saw "killer bass" I was thinking I've never seen a killer bass, but I've caught some pretty scary pike. Maybe you could put a laser on the bass's head and don't feed it.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by RonsRed88 View Post
                      Darn, from the title I was thinking someone was going to put a commodore computer into a car. I was having flashbacks from long ago!

I must be in a strange mood because when I saw "killer bass" I was thinking I've never seen a killer bass, but I've caught some pretty scary pike. Maybe you could put a laser on the bass's head and don't feed it.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Ron
                      LOL Ron....
                      Commodore 64 ftw !!!

Killer Bass...No more fishing trips for me

Comment

Not sure how much space you are going to find behind the stereo in the commodore, both the holden's and ford quite often leave very little room to work with, even for stock standard stereo swaps! A CarPC might end up needing to be under a seat, or in the boot to allow enough room.

Also, think about the temps you will get in WA. If there is no space around that board, she aint going to work from October through to March if you leave your car in the sun (Just a heads up to the US people, we get summer temps up to 46 degrees C). So plan for as much space as you can get.

Also, for the amps, let me know if you see anything cheapish, im looking at having to throw down about $250 for a 4 channel amp, and thats about the cheapest any of these local car audio places offer. Its an absolute joke. *sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by Chester View Post
                          Not sure how much space you are going to find behind the stereo in the commodore, both the holden's and ford quite often leave very little room to work with, even for stock standard stereo swaps! A CarPC might end up needing to be under a seat, or in the boot to allow enough room.

Also, think about the temps you will get in WA. If there is no space around that board, she aint going to work from October through to March if you leave your car in the sun (Just a heads up to the US people, we get summer temps up to 46 degrees C). So plan for as much space as you can get.

Also, for the amps, let me know if you see anything cheapish, im looking at having to throw down about $250 for a 4 channel amp, and thats about the cheapest any of these local car audio places offer. Its an absolute joke. *sigh*
                          Indeed it is.... I was browsing ebay the other day and found some cheap Kingwood stuff...
                          A mate reckons the kingwood speakers are s**t

Are you in WA?

Comment

Yep, im in perth.

I'm actually planning on keeping the stock speakers, I can always upgrade those down the track, but im not big on bass these days....just wanted something to give the same sound output as the original stock deck.

Unfortunately, the car audio places just look at you wierd if you ask for a 4x50 or 4x75W RMS amp. They don't understand why you don't want to buy a 4x800W RMS amp, because "thats how you get the sound maaaaan." (Direct quote from an Audiocomm seller in Midland).

I think I will end up having to pick up something along the lines of this amp:

http://www.audiocom.com.au/d698/axis...ble-amplifier/

Its about the cheapest I can find at $229, that does 4 channel audio, and also has RCA output, so I can daisy chain it to a sub amp if I want to add a sub in later on.

Comment

Do you plan on getting rid of the stock head unit? You probably already know this, but you use the stock head unit to configure alot of things about the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X