atom processors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• atom processors

so i was on tiger directs website and i came across http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...884&CatId=4618 its a mini itx and atom processor I've never used the atom line before and was wondering if anyone has. there is a video on the page with some guy who seems pretty confident that this is pretty powerful. any way has any one used one of these before cause i was think of buying it for my install and use one of the Black Double Din Nano-ITX Carputer Enclosure so i don't have to take up anymore room in my trunk and run wires for everything i need back there. any thought or recommendations

I am pretty happy with mine. I went with the fanless one as well, and with a m2-atx, my carputer is completely fanless. The processor is definetely fast enough for my needs (music, GPS, video, phone, light surfing).

The lower power consumption is nice, and can usually can run my carputer off battery only for at least 12 hours with no issue with only the standard car battery installed.

Comment

I have the IONITX-B-E in my car. I wasn't expecting much from it as I was only looking for audio capabilities and running Centrafuse but have to say I am impressed with it. It runs Windows 7 flawlwssly, and despite being fanless stays pretty cool.

Note that this board is mini-itx and not nano-it" though. It probably won't fit in a double-din enclosure. For nano-itx you would want to look at one of these: http://www.logicsupply.com/categorie...oards/nano_itx

Only negative is if you intend to use a PicoPSU power supply with it (http://www.mini-box.com/DC-DC). One of the memory slots is right against the power plug and with the PicoPSU plugged directly into the board you can't use the second memory slot.

Comment

I can't wait til Pico-ITX boards are readily available and powerful enough to do the current video standards. I'd love to make an HTPC the footprint of a bluray drive. If only they could build in dts-hd decoding or send it un-molested to my receiver!

Comment

Originally posted by mshowman View Post
          I have the IONITX-B-E in my car. I wasn't expecting much from it as I was only looking for audio capabilities and running Centrafuse but have to say I am impressed with it. It runs Windows 7 flawlwssly, and despite being fanless stays pretty cool.

Note that this board is mini-itx and not nano-it" though. It probably won't fit in a double-din enclosure. For nano-itx you would want to look at one of these: http://www.logicsupply.com/categorie...oards/nano_itx

Only negative is if you intend to use a PicoPSU power supply with it (http://www.mini-box.com/DC-DC). One of the memory slots is right against the power plug and with the PicoPSU plugged directly into the board you can't use the second memory slot.

was just thinking maybe a little fab work could get everything to fix properly

Comment

FYI, I mounted a mini-ITX into my double DIN enclosure, although only had millimeters to spare. I gutted out the stock double din radio cage and was able to mount the mini-ITX within it as well as my PS and 2.5" hard drive. This may work for you as well.

EDIT: Mini-itx, not micro-itx

Comment

Originally posted by thehump View Post
              FYI, I mounted a micro-ITX into my double DIN enclosure, although only had millimeters to spare. I gutted out the stock double din radio cage and was able to mount the mini-ITX within it as well as my PS and 2.5" hard drive. This may work for you as well.
              thanks. you guys have been helpful what about the total performance any lag or anything

Comment

I haven't had any problems in my use, but I've heard Atom processors in general tend to get choppy with higher resolution video. Probably not a problem for Car PC's, but not a good solution for home media boxes.

Comment

Boards based on Atom 330 and nVidia Ion chipset are good enough.
                  Zotac and Asus are the best, depending on what do you need,
                  take a look on the comparison of Ion boards.

I think it's a bad idea to put the carPC into the dash:
                  -not enough space
                  -wiring is difficult
                  -cooling is difficult

You should put the carPC under the seat. It't easier to run wires from there to the dash
                  for the screen, and to the amplifier(s).
                  Check my worklog:
                  Corsa + Atom + Gentoo Linux + 9" capacitive touchscreen

Lord of the boards: DFI CP100-NRM

"Or you can try Ubuntu, but than don't tell everyone you are using linux,
                  because it's just a secret unreleased prebeta of Windows 3829" :P

Comment

Originally posted by simplex View Post
                    <snip>

I think it's a bad idea to put the carPC into the dash:
                    -not enough space
                    -wiring is difficult
                    -cooling is difficult

You should put the carPC under the seat. It't easier to run wires from there to the dash
                    for the screen, and to the amplifier(s).
                    I would disagree. I have a mini-ITX, full size HD, M4, and HD tuner in a home made rack (don't consider it a case because it is open on top front and rear) mounted in the space left behind by a double DIN radio. It's a tad taller than the double DIN radio but that is due to the HD radio tuner.

Wiring is easier because it is all right there already from the headunit.

I've only had overheating issues when running the computer with the truck closed up, in the driveway, in the summer, in Texas, and working on it remotely.

VS under the seat I have more space and don't have to worry about it getting kicked by back seat passengers, no worries of it getting wet etc.

If you can put it in the dash, put it in the dash.

Comment

Originally posted by txspazz View Post
                      Wiring is easier because it is all right there already from the headunit.
                      I would disagree. For sound quality and noise reduction, I want to keep the wiring from
                      the sound card to the amp as short as possible, and separate them from other wires.

Also, you can only use the headunit wiring for powering the pc (but it isn't the best idea),
                      as the original speaker wiring is a crap.

Originally posted by txspazz View Post
                      VS under the seat I have more space and don't have to worry about it getting kicked by back seat passengers, no worries of it getting wet etc.
                      With proper mechanical protection, you can prevent this. I'm planning MDF box for the pc and
                      an other (half-box) next to it for the connectors, with a thin waterproof film on them,
                      and with some drying agent (silica gel) inside.

Also, It's almost impossible for back seat passengers to kick the pc my mistake,
                      as the seat base is 50x50cm (at least), the pc is about 20x30 with connectors,
                      so they have to get deeply under the seat to reach the carPC.
                      (but yes, kids can be creative)

Not a problem with an SSD anyway.
                      Check my worklog:
                      Corsa + Atom + Gentoo Linux + 9" capacitive touchscreen

Lord of the boards: DFI CP100-NRM

"Or you can try Ubuntu, but than don't tell everyone you are using linux,
                      because it's just a secret unreleased prebeta of Windows 3829" :P

Comment

I have the atom in my car and it has been great. So much that I'm building a mini PC for my son using mostly the same setup. I also have it in the dash.
                        Click for my projects
                        2006 F150 with removable Nexus 7

2006 Mustang with indash CarPC (Retired)

Comment

mount it where ever you feel that it will fit best-- for trouble shooting, and connecting everything in the car, i think it is easier under the seat, but see certain advantages of having it in the dash, as long you run new power/ground wire (i blew 3 main accessory fuses trying to hook a dc-dc to the factory wiring...)

for the atom processor-- they are good for basic computing-- don't expect to be doing any audio/video editing, or use it for a media server, but they work good as a basic, low cost, fanless computer.

my last carputer board, a intel 945gclf has been resigned to home computer use after not having enough processing power for all my audio setup (running audio programs to control the sound). and has been working flawlessly since the swap.
                          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

Comment

My point was that the reasons you listed were not valid reasons to discount a dash install. There may be space limitations depending on the vehicle and the hardware being used, but like I said, if you can put it in the dash, put it in the dash.

I would disagree. For sound quality and noise reduction, I want to keep the wiring from
                            the sound card to the amp as short as possible, and separate them from other wires.

Also, you can only use the headunit wiring for powering the pc (but it isn't the best idea),
                            as the original speaker wiring is a crap.
                            Once again, this may be a limitation of your install. In my case, the RCAs from the soundcard to the amp are 12", decent quality, and aren't near any wiring that create noise.

For many people the headunit wiring is fine. I ran one 12 AWG wire from the battery for constant power top the PSU. Ignition switched power should be in the stock radio wiring or at least somewhere near by in the dash (I don't have any appropriate switched wiring under my seat). For most people (>99%) the original speaker wiring is fine. I could give you a detailed explanation, but we are already starting to hijack this thread.

With proper mechanical protection, you can prevent this. I'm planning MDF box for the pc and
                            an other (half-box) next to it for the connectors, with a thin waterproof film on them,
                            and with some drying agent (silica gel) inside.

Also, It's almost impossible for back seat passengers to kick the pc my mistake,
                            as the seat base is 50x50cm (at least), the pc is about 20x30 with connectors,
                            so they have to get deeply under the seat to reach the carPC.
                            (but yes, kids can be creative)

Not a problem with an SSD anyway.
                            Many here can tell you that what we plan, and how things work in the garage, may be very far apart but I hope it works out for you. For me the dash works great. Everything fits, it's easy to put in and take out. Wire runs for USB devices and monitors are short......

Comment

just wanted to add, i'm running a Zotac ION Atom N330 board, fanless in a VoomPC 2 case currently under passenger seat (considering mounting in trunk). Performance is great (running Win7 embedded + testing out Centrafuse 3.0). Highly recommend it.
                              EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
                              Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                              OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
                              Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
                              BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
                              VoomPC 2

Comment

Working...
                              X