Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little help selecting CPU

Hi all,

Well I thought I had my Carputer all figured out but then I saw some people are running quad cores. I did a search but can't really find to much info on people running quads.

1st I was going to go with the ASUS AT3GC-I ATOM 330 board. Then I saw alot of people saying that a core 2 duo would be better, when reading the c2d threads some people would say just go balls out and get a c2q.

I have built alot of high powered PCs but never tried to plan out a PC on a power budget lol.

So I was thinking about it and I know people run 1,000 watt amps in there cars without issue. So is it the powersupplys that are limiting the use of higher powered PCs? Ok.. i'm getting a little off topic here.

My main question is if you have the budget should you just go with a quadcore or is there other reasons this would be a bad idea?

if you are only going to use it for the basics-- music, gps, obd..
    then it is a lot of power that will really go to waste.

if oyu are interested in running processor heavy tasks like multiple vst plugins for audio manipulation, then it can be worth while.

it all depends on what you want to do with your system.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

I want to do, OBD, Music, Video, GPS, maybe some driving cams, G meter, and Bluetooth cellphone. Hmm also some times P2P filesharing.

Comment

Originally posted by BensalemGTO View Post
        I want to do, OBD, Music, Video, GPS, maybe some driving cams, G meter, and Bluetooth cellphone. Hmm also some times P2P filesharing.
        An Atom330 should be able to handle all that. Just maybe not at the same time. But then again, that depends on how much RAM you have and what OS you use. Frontend software is also a factor as some run faster/lighter than others. If you don't want to care about your software and just want to pound your hardware, get a Duo or Quad and install whatever you want. The worse thing that could happen is a dead battery and/or alternator right?
        Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
        Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
        Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

I guess I will have to go with the Core2 Duo. Running out of system power sucks. Seems like the best for the power to watt ratio heh

Comment

Originally posted by BensalemGTO View Post
            I guess I will have to go with the Core2 Duo. Running out of system power sucks. Seems like the best for the power to watt ratio heh
            I would stay away Atom's and ION's personally...
            A nice, single core desktop CPU would outright slaughter those ******* POS...lol
            I run a AMD X2 socket 939, and it has LOTS of power...

Comment

Working...
            X