4-pin connector on m3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-pin connector on m3

Is there a way to get a 4-pin connector on a M3 power supply?

Originally posted by batista08 View Post
    Is there a way to get a 4-pin connector on a M3 power supply?
    If by "4 pin connector" you mean the P4 Connector, then sort of. The P4 connector was devised since they needed so much juice. Some boards still require it to be plugged in but draw very little.

If you have a modern board that just needs the connector but in total will not overload the 12v rail of the PSU, then you can just wire the connector into the other wires. If you have an older or a more powerful mobo/cpu combo, then the m3 just doesnt have the umph.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
      If by "4 pin connector" you mean the P4 Connector, then sort of. The P4 connector was devised since they needed so much juice. Some boards still require it to be plugged in but draw very little.

If you have a modern board that just needs the connector but in total will not overload the 12v rail of the PSU, then you can just wire the connector into the other wires. If you have an older or a more powerful mobo/cpu combo, then the m3 just doesnt have the umph.
      I will be powering the following with it:
      Asus AT3N7A-I
      2GB DDR2 800 1stick
      WD 500GB
      7" Lilliput 629GL
      GPS receiver BU-353
      PS3 Keyboard
      DVD-rom

Would it be enough? How can I make the P4 connector?

Comment

If the board has it, usually the bios will complain if you don't connect it.

You can get something like this:

http://www.mini-box.com/4-Pin-P4-Power-Cable

Comment

Originally posted by mshowman View Post

Basically what I was hinting at but much easier to execute

You need to do your own PSU power calculations. Part of the initiation rights into the CarPC community.
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

Originally posted by mshowman View Post

Thanks, I will grab an old psu and make the connection. I'm going to use the m3 for now and order a m4 or find an opus with 150+ watts for a good price.

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster
            Quote: Originally Posted by mshowman

Basically what I was hinting at but much easier to execute

You need to do your own PSU power calculations. Part of the initiation rights into the CarPC community.
            I have been doing my research to find the answers to all my questions, specially after seeing how people getting harassed because they didn't search but the whole point of a forum is to help out and answer the same questions over and over. If you get tired of this simply choose to answer those questions you think are worthy of you writing. And I do not mean to disrespect you or anyone with this but sometimes one is in a hurry and just need to be pointed quickly in the right direction.

Comment

You were pointed, now you must work. A CarPC with no work, is a CarPC full of frustration.

Quick answer is you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                You were pointed, now you must work. A CarPC with no work, is a CarPC full of frustration.

Quick answer is you'll be fine.
                Thanks. I'm going to hook everything tonight to setup windows and transfer all my data to the carpc. 30k songs and now the music videos download galore will start.

Comment

Originally posted by batista08 View Post
                  I have been doing my research to find the answers to all my questions, specially after seeing how people getting harassed because they didn't search but the whole point of a forum is to help out and answer the same questions over and over. If you get tired of this simply choose to answer those questions you think are worthy of you writing. And I do not mean to disrespect you or anyone with this but sometimes one is in a hurry and just need to be pointed quickly in the right direction.
                  You're correct that the whole point of a forum is to help, but not by answering the same question over and over and over and... if that were true, there would be no search feature. What would be the point? Why would there be topic areas? Why would we need mods? You speak of a forum with complete anarchy.

Usually the same question gets asked over and over because of laziness. If you're in a big enough hurry that you can't research, chances are you're going to end up with a half-assed install that doesn't work.

You may be wondering in this case why I even bothered to post. Well I don't mean to disrespect you but if you don't do the research and just come here for the quick answer... eventually nobody will want to help you because you are not willing to help yourself. The information really is here already, I promise. And if it isn't, at least you can honestly say you tried before asking a newbie question.
                  Tidder

Try RevFE
                  The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                    You're correct that the whole point of a forum is to help, but not by answering the same question over and over and over and... if that were true, there would be no search feature. What would be the point? Why would there be topic areas? Why would we need mods? You speak of a forum with complete anarchy.

Usually the same question gets asked over and over because of laziness. If you're in a big enough hurry that you can't research, chances are you're going to end up with a half-assed install that doesn't work.

You may be wondering in this case why I even bothered to post. Well I don't mean to disrespect you but if you don't do the research and just come here for the quick answer... eventually nobody will want to help you because you are not willing to help yourself. The information really is here already, I promise. And if it isn't, at least you can honestly say you tried before asking a newbie question.
                    Let's agree to disagree to some extend. I apreciate the help, honestly I do. The point that I tried to make with that post was people don't have to be so aggresive when telling someone to use the search button because not everyone is forum friendly, I am so after couple of weeks of reading I couldn't come up with the answer so I posted my question.

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                      my install is a decent example of this-- i rushed in to buy all the hardware, instead of doing research, and am now in the process of redoing it, now after researching...

batista--you seem to be decent about trying to do your homework before resorting to making a new thread, so i do not think that you are to blame as much as some, but you must understand that there are many people that come on and seem to expect to be told how to do everything. i think that the worst thing that any forum could do(no matter whether the forum is for pet care, or computers...) is to hold someones hand through the entire process--because it leads the OP to stop thinking about it, and start relying on the answers of a internet forum, that could be completely wrong. by doing your own research, you are coming up with a solution for yourself, and thinking about it-- so you are not just relying on others, and possibly coming up with a solution that might better fit your specific application.

how far to take spoonfeeding is a grey line, sometimes it is required to get the OP to understand the idea, or the application of the idea. I have seen some threads where there seems to be a fear of spoonfeeding, and the posts end up being extremly vague, and end up hurting more than helping. and then there are others where the OP learns nothing because of the amount of spoon feeding, and only comes back later to ask the same question...

IMO, the entire idea behind forums is to exchange ideas and solutions to problems(granted, sometimes the same questions come up now and again..), and should not need be to constantly going over how to do specific things all the time--if that is all forums were needed for, then one person could make up a FAQ with the answers to those questions, and there would be no need for forums at all...
                      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                      X