Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longtime lurker now ready to dive into CarPCs

Hello all,

I'm not really new here since I've been a member since 2007. Spent all of my time until now as a full time lurker. Looking at all the project I could view to get an ideal as to how I want my carputer project to go. I'm now ready to begin getting a carpc together to put into my 07suburban. I'm going though all the helpful sub forms in here to find out as much info as I can before I begin my adventure into building my first carpc. I'm no stranger to PC's though since my career is in IT. And I've been into car audio since I was 13 so I've got years of experience in both areas. Now its time to combine them into one.

Right now I have a bunch of spare pc parts here and there to make a decent carpc. However I need a few things to really get started. One of the most important and expensive is the monitor. I want to utilize an in-dash unit for my truck. Right now I have a flip out pioneer that I want to retire and go with a more straight HU that will handle all my stereo's audio needs. I want to use that HU in conjunction with an in-dash so I can keep it all together in the double din area I have in my truck.

I've been looking at the VMI70 until that looks a lot like the Thermaltake case mount monitor that they use with their LANBOX HT cases. I did a search on here about the VMI70 and didn't see much as far as a review of the product or the web site that I found it at which is
    http://short-circuit.com.

So I welcome any input or direction that alot of you veteran carpc experts can give a novice whose ready to get his feet wet in the game of carputers.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1
    Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD Diamond Audio D3 6 1/2 components Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2) DC Sound Lab Level4 18's (Subwoofers)
    Comming Soon CarPC

i was very similar-- i didn't start posting till '09...welcome to the madness

i have not seen any good reviews on any single din, vga screens. but i have also not seen anything about the thermaltake unit at all. most of the comments are about lilliput, or zenarc flipouts, and both have had issues with eating gears, and breaking flex cables that feed video to the display.

edit: found one review-- not amazing, but decent:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/gene...table-lcd.html
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by Pervitizm View Post
      Hello all,

I'm not really new here since I've been a member since 2007. Spent all of my time until now as a full time lurker. Looking at all the project I could view to get an ideal as to how I want my carputer project to go. I'm now ready to begin getting a carpc together to put into my 07suburban. I'm going though all the helpful sub forms in here to find out as much info as I can before I begin my adventure into building my first carpc. I'm no stranger to PC's though since my career is in IT. And I've been into car audio since I was 13 so I've got years of experience in both areas. Now its time to combine them into one.

Right now I have a bunch of spare pc parts here and there to make a decent carpc. However I need a few things to really get started. One of the most important and expensive is the monitor. I want to utilize an in-dash unit for my truck. Right now I have a flip out pioneer that I want to retire and go with a more straight HU that will handle all my stereo's audio needs. I want to use that HU in conjunction with an in-dash so I can keep it all together in the double din area I have in my truck.

I've been looking at the VMI70 until that looks a lot like the Thermaltake case mount monitor that they use with their LANBOX HT cases. I did a search on here about the VMI70 and didn't see much as far as a review of the product or the web site that I found it at which is
      http://short-circuit.com.

So I welcome any input or direction that alot of you veteran carpc experts can give a novice whose ready to get his feet wet in the game of carputers.

We have had success recently, working with companies to get free samples for forum members review - which monitor in particular do you think looks interesting and would be worth a try at reviewing?

It is true, most reviews are on Lilliput and Xenarc - I am happy to try to help get some other types of monitors for forum member to test.
      Suggestions or Comments on the forums? Post here.

mp3Car store order questions or products that you would like to sell on the store? Email store @ mp3car.com

Feel free to pm me if you:
      • Have a general comment on mp3Car's products or services
      • Have a product you would like to have tested by the mp3Car community
      • Have a file you would like mp3Car to host
      • Have a cool idea that would improve the forums

Comment

Originally posted by Heather View Post
        We have had success recently, working with companies to get free samples for forum members review - which monitor in particular do you think looks interesting and would be worth a try at reviewing?

It is true, most reviews are on Lilliput and Xenarc - I am happy to try to help get some other types of monitors for forum member to test.
        Thanks for the help Heather. It's the VMi70 monitor that I found on the site I mentioned above in my first post. Here a direct link to the monitor in question:
        http://short-circuit.com/product/VMI70.html
        Not only am I trying to find info on that monitor but I'm also trying to find info on the site that its being sold from as well. The monitor is also on ebay and it looks like its being sold from the same folks that run the webstore I linked above. Their feedback rating is high but I would really like to hear from some fellow forum members hear who've purchased from this company before I drop down some cold hard cash to them.
        2007 Chevy Suburban LT1
        Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD Diamond Audio D3 6 1/2 components Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2) DC Sound Lab Level4 18's (Subwoofers)
        Comming Soon CarPC

Comment

Working...
        X