iPad Center Console

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPad Center Console

So I want to incorporate Apple's new iPad into my car when it is released. My center console was broken anyway so I removed it and started building a new one out of MDF. My ultimate plan is to cast the entire project in plastic rather than having an MDF center console. This is what I got done in the last 2 days...let me know what you think. The mock iPad is just printed paper to the correct dimensions.
    Attached Files

Nice work!

Comment

Well done. Wrapping in matching vinyl with padding underneath can give it an OEM look or MDF can be painted to an automotive finish as well if you are looking for a more radical look.
      My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

You almost make me want to do that, I'm still planning my first project right now.

Although, the portrait setup my be an issue for videos (not that I would be watching video in the car

Comment

Nicely done, although you may find that having to look down is not conducive to safe driving.

Still, I like the way you've fit it in there.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Since you're building it from scrach anyway you could think about putting the iPad in a subframe to allow for tilting (better view), or even rotating (portrait/landscape). The tilting mechanism could then be hidden from view.

Nice job anyway. Great fit you got there. Keep posting pictures!
            Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
            Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

I hate the iPad, but I do have to say your center console is nice. My only thing is turn the arm rest part also into a compartment, your using up valuable space that can hold all your other goodies. What are you going to wrap the console in? Do not wrap it in carpet, that will tackify the console immediately. Go to you local fabrics store, they should have your interior color, since it looks common. By using vinyl it will match the plastic in the car better, ratehr then trying to mimmic the floor. Here is a pic of mine.

Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
              4X MK808b
              3x Perixx Touchpads
              3x 7 inch Screens
              1X 7 inch motorized Screen
              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas

I have decided to do a couple of things based on your ideas. I am going to definitely try a vinyl wrap to match the cars color. I am going to make a open box just in front of the cup holders for "the goodies" and then the back of the arm rest (facing the back seat) I am going to have a door that will open to a small car safe bolted to the floor of the car.

I love the idea of being able to switch between portrait and landscape mode on the iPad so I am going to machine a swivel with the connector built in it. The original idea was going to have the connector be a part of the console.

I will post more shots of this weekends work. I probably will not get a whole lot done as the in-laws will be in town.

Thanks again for all the ideas. So far the cost of this project has only been one sheet of MDF...hoping to keep it down for the iPad purchase.

Comment

I thought you had the ipad already. i couldnt tell that it was photoshoped, lol. Well at least you got yours right the first design. I went through 4 1/2 designs before I got mine right.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                  4X MK808b
                  3x Perixx Touchpads
                  3x 7 inch Screens
                  1x Win 7 PC

Comment

New band saw

I am not certain what I am going to use it for right now but the possibilities are making me head swim. No more jig saw for me (well not as much at least)

Comment

two more pics....so far from finished

I actually have the iPad and these are two more shots of the project...enjoy.

J-
                      Attached Files

Comment

new developments...

so I re-thought everything and started rebuilding my iPad in the dash itself. Things are starting to come together now.

I modded the original bezel so the iPad could slide in from the top of the dash. I also had to move my climate controls to the center console I previously made. The ipad charges when it is docked and as soon as I get my old head unit re-wired I should have excellent sound.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Looks pretty good. Only thing I do not like is how a corner of the ipad is so obviously sticking out. I guess thats a more intensive fix since thats caused by the contour of the dash.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                          4X MK808b
                          3x Perixx Touchpads
                          3x 7 inch Screens
                          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

pondering the corner

I have been debating that corner. It certainly makes it nice and easy to slide the ipad out rather that pushing up on the glass. I made and aluminum bezel for that area which would help to hide the ipads top but I simply haven't decided.

I also thought about lowering the ipads housing but it literally is at the bottom of the factory dash.

Comment

I liked the iPad on the console better. IMHO I'd rather have the iPad (or some support for it) sticking out from the bottom than from the top.
                              Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                              Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Working...
                              X