X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forum and new to car computers

First off, hello to the forum.

I'm John, from the UK.
    I am planning on installing a car pc in my Subaru Legacy RS. I am used to building computers and running them, and I have no problems on taking on big challenges.

I will no doubt have lots of questions once I start my build.

I picked up my intended computer today from my friends, it was something he had in his garage collecting dust, the specs are not huge, but should do the job.

Intel Celeron 701mhz processor
    192mb ram
    30gig HDD
    XP Pro installed.
    I will using either MediaEngine or RoadRunner as my front end software.

So, my first question.
    I assume I will need an AMP, so I can use my car speakers ? or is there a way of wiring my speakers to the computer ?

Welcome to the forums and good luck with the build.

You will need an amp or maybe you can somehow connect to your existing amp. This may help you start: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advf...iew&advfaqid=7

Comment

I am doing away with my stereo head unit, as I won't have any where to put it. It will be replaced with a 7" touch screen monitor.

So the car PC will be doing everything.
      I assume I can wire my speakers directly to the amp, then the amp to the sound card on the PC ?

Comment

Welcome!

If you are just looking for a amp that can replace your factory deck, Small motorcylce amps are supposed to be at least as powerful, and are about $25-50
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

I replied to this thread this morning, but it still has not appeared ??

Comment

In this picture

Where would I get number 2 item from ? the adaptor.

Comment

You can find it at the mp3car store: http://store.mp3car.com/SearchResult...h=3.5mm+to+rca

But you can find it anywhere. Search "3.5mm to rca" at ebay, amazon, etc.

Comment

Thanks csfile

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Mini-Plu.../dp/B0016LC5VY
                  After a 2 year break, I'm back! There are so many new and familiar faces here!
                  New vehicle, new ideas!

Chryssi - The Changeling CarPC Project

Comment

I think I am being thick here, if I am running 4 speakers, how many adaptors will I need, 1 or 2 ?
                    Because going by that picture, they are using 2

Comment

It really depends on the setup that your running. If your sound card supports both front and rear outputs(most only enable the rears as a surround set), then 2 of them are needed, and you will not need the splitters listed as (3) in the pic.

If the sound card your using only has one full range output(this is most motherboards), then you would set it up almost exactly as pictured.

Edit: a little more explanation: The reason that it shows the splitters is to get both front and rear speakers working- if you just connected '(2)' directly to the amp, only the front speakers would work

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

Is that a Creative Labs' Soundblaster? hummm...heard lots of people having issues with those (resuming from hibernation, popping, etc.), but I may be wrong. Maybe somebody else can give some input on those. If it's a picture for illustration, sorry, forget what I just said.
                        Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                        Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

That is just the pic from the FAQ- I don't really think that the card itself has any significance, just the diagram on how to connect everything.

next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                          X