No announcement yet.

So I'm getting a list of parts together for my carpc need some feedback please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm getting a list of parts together for my carpc need some feedback please

So I really want to get the ball rolling on this new carpc project for my truck. Since I'll be spending the spring rebuilding my subwoofer box (with the strong possibly adding newer subwoofers), installing deadner, new door speakers and amplifers, another battery, and second alternator, I thought why not go ahead and do the computer too. So I'm kinda got a wish list of gear going on and I would like some feedback on the choices of gear that I'm going to be using. My prices will be based off of whats on newegg.com, short-circuit.com, and here. So without delay here is what I've got so far

1st List (Let the fun begin)
    Monitor: VMi70 indash touch vga monitor $259(Short-Circuit.com)
    MoBo:Intel Atom D510 Intel NM10 Mini ITX $84.99 (Newegg.com)
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 $55.99 (Newegg.com)
    SSD: OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX30GXXX 2.5" 30GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive $164.99 (Newegg.com)
    HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint M7E HM641JI 640GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb $109.99 (newegg.com)
    Power: DSATX 220 Watt Automotive Power Supply $159.99 (MP3Car.com)
    Case: Using an old broken car amp as the case
    OS: Unknow right now. It will either be XP or some form of Linux
    Frnt End: Unknown

So for my first list I'm looking at a total of roughly $835 minus fees for shipping and the OS (which I already have).

Does this seem like a good start? Can I find a lot of the gear I have selected cheaper from say here or other sources? Should I be looking at something else altogether? Any and all feed back is welcomed. I just really want to get the ball rolling on this and start ordering parts this week if I can.
    2007 Chevy Suburban LT1
    Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD Diamond Audio D3 6 1/2 components Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2) DC Sound Lab Level4 18's (Subwoofers)
    Comming Soon CarPC

This looks like a nice list to me; the motherboard looks like a good choice (almost tempted to buy one for work just to mess around with it). I'm not a fan of the motorized monitors however, but they are probably a necessary evil in some installs. I really don't have any personal experience to backup my dislike for them either, just having a motorized part seems like you're asking for trouble down the line.

Comment

Yeah I'm still kinda back and forth on the monitor. I don't mind it though cause my current HU (A Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD) is a motorized flip out unit. In order to go with a fixed screen the way I want it, I would have to figure out a way to relocate the pioneer. With all the stuff i have going on I don't know if I'll have the time to do a a re-fab of my dash. The VMi70 give me a quick monitor solution while keeping my HU in its current location.
      2007 Chevy Suburban LT1
      Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD Diamond Audio D3 6 1/2 components Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2) DC Sound Lab Level4 18's (Subwoofers)
      Comming Soon CarPC

Comment

Why not find a used micro ATX mainboard and a used desktop processor? I really don't like the 'Netbook' Atom Intel's...even though they are dual core, they have no processing power at all...
        But then again, maybe an Atom is all you'll ever need?

2Gb of RAM is overkill and will slow down your hibernate times...

Why 2 batteries and (is this right) 2 altenators? Or did you just upgrade your alt?

If your running high-end audio equipment ,or looking to do a SQ install, then you really don't want to use integrated audio...
        Since you didn't mentioin a sound card, then I'm assuming integrated.

Comment

the atom is only nice if you want the extended battery runtime while your car is off. if that is what you want, i still highly suggest the ION setup, because like wungun said the cpu isnt powerful enough for much... with ION graphics though, you add a ton of flexibility without sacrificing battery power or a lot of cost.

Comment

Originally posted by WuNgUn View Post
            Why not find a used micro ATX mainboard and a used desktop processor? I really don't like the 'Netbook' Atom Intel's...even though they are dual core, they have no processing power at all...
            But then again, maybe an Atom is all you'll ever need?
            Size (physical) is a huge factor for me right now. With this thing going under my second row seats along with a long *** kicker ZX640.4 amp, I just won't have enough room for a micro atx board and a case. Funny though cause I have at least two regular ATX boards available right now. They're just too big for where I want to place them. The small footprint of the mini ITX boards will work out well for what I need. Also I don't have any of the newer intel cpu's on hand. I have one socket 478 P4 available, but I plan on using that for a Ubuntu home server system.

2Gb of RAM is overkill and will slow down your hibernate times...
            Do you think that 1GB of RAM will be okay? I really want this for playing music, music videos, GPS, and maybe internet. I'll have to also get wifi on it somehow to be able to connect to my home system to DL and UL music files.

Why 2 batteries and (is this right) 2 altenators? Or did you just upgrade your alt?
            I have a huge stereo in the truck. Two 18's subwoofers and 2 Kicker ZX2500.1 mono amps. I'm roughly supplying, with my truck current voltage around 4000 RMS to my subs. With the second alternator and addition batteries, I'm looking to get that up to around 5300 RMS. I'm already running three batteries in my truck off the stock 160amp alt. Adding two more will def put the strain on the stock alt so a second one will be needed. And before you ask, I've been into car audio long before carpc.

If your running high-end audio equipment ,or looking to do a SQ install, then you really don't want to use integrated audio...
            Since you didn't mentioin a sound card, then I'm assuming integrated
            Yup I'm not running a true SQ install. More of an SQL type of deal. The audio was a concern especially since the mobo I picked only comes with 1 PCI slot. So I might shop around looking at different boards before I make my final decision. Another thought is to just have the pc go throught the deck and then the deck out to a Rockford Fosgate 360.2 sound processor before the signals hit the amps. That would help clean up the signals some but I'm trying to avoid that route since the RF 360.2 is over $500.
            2007 Chevy Suburban LT1
            Comming Soon CarPC

Comment

Originally posted by trader007 View Post
              the atom is only nice if you want the extended battery runtime while your car is off. if that is what you want, i still highly suggest the ION setup, because like wungun said the cpu isnt powerful enough for much... with ION graphics though, you add a ton of flexibility without sacrificing battery power or a lot of cost.
              What would be a good ION board to look at? Do they make some with built in wifi and more than 1 PCI slot? Also what did you think about the price that NewEgg was offering for some of the items I had. Do you think I can get better pricing if I look around at other internet vendors?
              2007 Chevy Suburban LT1
              Comming Soon CarPC

Comment

I'd opt for the BOXD945GCLF2 just to get the s-video out.

Comment

$900 dollars? Sorry but you have grosely underestimated the cost of a car pc. To be realistic you should really add an extra 50% in the quota to account for F'ups, Change of ideas, incompatibilities etc etc. just to be safe

Comment

I'm using this ION board in my install, which has built-in wifi: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813500036

Comment

Thanks Challenge for the link. I'll check that board out later today. In fact I'll come up with another list today as well.

@Lachie, I've got it covered. I'll make under $900 work. I have to, call the rest of my play money is accounted for.
                      2007 Chevy Suburban LT1
                      Comming Soon CarPC

Comment

i was gonna quote some stuff, but it would take too much time

for audio, and a sq/spl/sql setup, i would highly recommend a audio card--the 360.2 is not going to make the audio better if the source is junk. for a tight install, i would recommend a usb audio card--you can move it around the truck, and don't have to worry about reinforcing a pci card to surrvive.

to say that you will make $900 work, is a bad omen--take this carputer like the rest of your install-- go slow with it, and take the time and money to do it right-- even if it takes a year or more.. almost all of the mistakes that i and others have made is mostly because of rushing into the install, or rushing to buying parts, and then re-doing it to correct the mistake, and make it what was wanted (my install ended up trying 3 different audio cards...)
                        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                        carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                          i was gonna quote some stuff, but it would take too much time

for audio, and a sq/spl/sql setup, i would highly recommend a audio card--the 360.2 is not going to make the audio better if the source is junk. for a tight install, i would recommend a usb audio card--you can move it around the truck, and don't have to worry about reinforcing a pci card to surrvive.

to say that you will make $900 work, is a bad omen--take this carputer like the rest of your install-- go slow with it, and take the time and money to do it right-- even if it takes a year or more.. almost all of the mistakes that i and others have made is mostly because of rushing into the install, or rushing to buying parts, and then re-doing it to correct the mistake, and make it what was wanted (my install ended up trying 3 different audio cards...)
                          Thanks for your thoughts and input.
                          2007 Chevy Suburban LT1
                          Comming Soon CarPC

Comment

I agree with soundman98. Take time, add some overhead to the budget, and most importantly, RESEARCH!!!

It took me about two years or so (on and off) of research and planning, and months of waiting for parts, repair, etc., I somehow managed to make my primary install just barely under budget (probably because of luck and depreciation values). Still, plan out every little bit of the project (budget, power consumption, mapping out installation, etc). It'll be worth it!

btw, if you're planning on using extension cables for vga, usb or whatever, I suggest monoprice.com. They got quality stuff for cheap!
                            Thanks!
                            -VJ

Comment

speaking of $900..lol
                              im planning to make a 2nd carpc for a little hoppty my girl gave me.
                              she bought a mazda3 this weekend and is giving me her 1996 nissan altima.

i was planning to make a carpc with $150 .lol
                              was gonna get a CHEAP Chinese knockoff monitor, saw one for $65
                              would use wireless keyb and mouse to control the car.

on the flip side, the carpc in my mazda6..is running me $2k and counting.... lol
                              i will post pix later

and yes, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take ur time AND research, or u will spend 9x that $900...
                              trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Comment

Working...
                              X