Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting PC to Car ISO

http://store.mp3car.com/Carnetix_Xen..._p/cbl-053.htm

Just so I'm totally clear, this connects to the Car ISO thing, right? And it connects to the Audio Out/Headphone port and an AC port?

More specifically, will it let me easily connect this computer to pretty much any car audio input? (Car ISO is a universal standard, right?)
    I wasn't getting any replies in the mp3car Store thread, so I'm moving my question here.

I need to connect a CompuLab fit-PC2 to my car's audio. The FitPC will be going into the existing stereo port; is there a way that I can get 12V power from the car's ISO? Is there a 12V / Audio to ISO adapter?

...and are there any guides that you know of that explain fairly well how to replace the OEM unit on a pre-2007 BMW Mini Cooper?

Thanks!
    Programmer, Game Designer, Dirt Collector

what is ISO?
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
      what is ISO?
      I have no clue what it stands for, but apparently it's the name for the interface that the car stereo connects to the sound system though.

Comment

the only ISO's i know of is copies of cd's, so if it is a car thing, i can't find much info on it...

well, that looks like it is only a power adapter for a carnetix power supply, and a zenarc monitor, so i don't think that it will work for what you want to use it for.

what kind of year/make/model/stereo setup/computer setup are you trying to connect?

the more details the better

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Pretty sure I said it's a pre-2007 BMW Mini Cooper, and I posted the (I think) important tech specs of the pc. 12V power supply, standard headphone audio jack.

Comment

thats what i thought, but wanted to make sure-- my family makes me do all the electronics work on 4 cars, so i get used to talking about more than one vehicle at a time...

according to my friend google , the fitpc needs regulated 12 volt input, so you will need a 12v dc-dc regulator to power it:
            http://store.mp3car.com/Intelligent_..._p/pwr-034.htm

and then wire it to a fused wire that you run from the battery.
            (i do not ever recommend splicing into the factory wiring for power-- too many variables, unless you personally designed the electrical system and know that the wire you speced will take the load...)

the headphone to aux is the easy part monoprice.com has some of the cheapest cables-- just get a male-to-male 3.5mm stereo headphone jack at whatever length you need

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

Thanks! Just one thing...

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
              and then wire it to a fused wire that you run from the battery
              I'm new to car electronics. When I read this, I imagine attaching wires to the leads on the car battery and stringing those back. Please clarify what you mean by this! I'm easily creeped out by this stuff!

Comment

An ISO connector is just a term for the style of connector....its about as descriptive as the word plug.

What your looking for is here:
                http://www.metraonline.com/fit.aspx

enter in your vehicle info and it will find the proper harness for you
                openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                - Always Recruiting Developers -
                Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
                  An ISO connector is just a term for the style of connector....its about as descriptive as the word plug.

What your looking for is here:
                  http://www.metraonline.com/fit.aspx

enter in your vehicle info and it will find the proper harness for you
                  I hate to be a burden, but what exactly do I do with this? It doesn't show the other end, so I'm having a hard time visualizing how it connects.

http://retailer2.installationexcelle...hicleid=215173

Thank you so much for your help!

Comment

That end connects to the car's stereo wiring harness (connector).

The other end is bare wires. That will have your power wires in it. You will definitely need to regulate that power though.

Also, does the car have an amplifier built in?
                    My Nearly Complete Car:
                    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
                    http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
                    http://paulfurtado.com/

Comment

\/\/\/\/\/\/carefull: rant and a half ahead...\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

i still think there are some very important details missing-- you said pre-2007 mini cooper, yet the models date back to 2002, leaving room for wiring harness/electronics revisions, also, you didn't specify the trim level or if you have the harmon kardon system-- all of which can have a completly different harness.

remember, car manufacturers can, and do change little things like wiring harnesses at will-- it could be that the sporty version of your car had to route a wire 3" more to the left, causing them to change the radio harness, because another supplier was cheaper for that...

i did a little searching, and could not find any radio harnesses for the mini cooper--2007, so you might not be able to easily swap the radio for a aftermarket unit(what that harness would be for). also, the link in your response to justchat is actually listed as being for the bmw 5 series(so i doubt it would work for a mini).

while mini is a division of bmw, it is still seen as a separate company when looking at add-ons, and parts(kind of like chevy, and buick...)

for the wiring-- the reason that i can't recommend 'just hooking it up to the cigarette lighter' is because auto makers do not EVER use wire larger than what they need-- i have seen cars in the past that the 10 amp fuse for the cig lighter also powers dome lights and dash clock displays-- bringing the overall rating of the cig lighter down--so if your accessory takes a lot of power, it is could be very close to the absolute limit of that circuit-- and this means that you could be constantly replacing fuses, and eventually getting the idea to use a larger fuse, and then consequently melting the wire, which could lead to car fires...

by running your own wire(or having someone else run a new wire ), you can know exactly what the capabilities of that wire are, and you know exactly what is getting power from that line, removing most of the variables of using the OE wires, and eliminating headaches down the road.

and, i feel it is time to cue 2k1toasters artwork:

now, onto what you asked me:
                      you will need to run a fused power wire from the battery, or have a local car audio shop run it for you, and then you can ground it at the nearest solid metal point in the car...

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

I left out those because I don't have the car yet; I'm looking to get one. I'm looking more for figuring out what kind of parts I'll need than model-specific ones.

So what you're saying is that I can't get power from the Car-to-Stereo Head "ISO" cable? Alright, how much do you think it would be to take the car to someone who knows what they're doing (maybe Car Toys?) and pay them to do it?

Comment

just to spray some more confusion on the thread, in europe we pretty much use ISO plugs for most stereo's, the good thin about that is that ISO is a company that has made a lot of standards, so if our car's wiring does not end with iso plugs (that will connect directly to the head unit) then we just go for a car specific adaptor and the install can be made in like 5 min. if the car's wiring do end in iso plugs the install is done in even less time... provided that the frame for the head unit is the same.... changing the frame would add another 5 min to the install

now how do these iso plugs look like:

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/7...aupunkttv1.jpg

top row C is a more modern style but do the same job as row A and B.... it do however cary signals like speed etc... it's not widely used here yet, another advantage is the smaller size

a car specific adapter for the ford falco could look like this, the white conector goes to the cars wiring:

http://www.autoaudio.com.au/images/I...Ford-Falco.jpg

now regarding feeding power the car's wiring.... simple rule is that never draw more power than the ORG. fuse is rated at... that is you must take a note of everything you connect and sum the currents so that you are 100% you do not exceed the fuse rating...

if you are going to replace the head unit with an in-dash screen etc you are going to mate the connector/wires from the screen to the adaptor plug... should be a simple job once you have the first image i showed above and compare that to the install instructions for the screen

if there are enough spare current for a car pc you can connect that too and route the wires down to the car pc.... BUT remember to solder the connections AND use heat shrink tube so that there will be no shorts... and better use 2 tubes on top of each other to get a double layer...

if you are going to add an amp mt best advice is to connect that directly to the battery... one very heavy duty wire from the battery and a fuse just after the first 20 cm's of wire ( 2 small bear cans hight ) be sure to use tire zips so that the wire is not loose and the same for the fuse... route that wire down to the amp... for the ground wire on the amp use the same thickness and make it as short as possible... a bolt for the seatbelt is what i use for the ground wire... just be sure that the wire is short and that it can not move arround to much... the same goes for the amps.. they need to be bolted or screwed down securly

thats pretty much how to do it.... make sure you have plenty of time... and make sure you have everything you need before you install... better use a whole weekend and get the job done well than you have to rush it and redo it later

normal i take a big dinner table and lay out the way i figure it has to be in the car... i even connect and do most of the wiring here but i leave one end of the wires without terminals....

in the example with screen pc and amp i would do the complete wiring for the screen and just leave enough wire down to the pc to make sure that it's not too short (i can always cut the excess wire).... the wiring for the amp is the same deal... put terminals and fuse on and leave the amp end without terminal and route it...

on install day its pretty much just a matter of move the bits from the table to the car... when doing the stuff on the table you have much time to go through the install inside yourself and make sure everything is right

well better stop before i repeat myself
                          Blessed are the "cracked" for it is they who let in the light.

Comment

Crap, I'll have to do some soldering?

Is everybody very sure that nothing I'm thinking of exists, with one end plugging into the car's ISO and the other two plugging into 12V power and headphone jack?

Comment

Originally posted by ploogle View Post
                              Crap, I'll have to do some soldering?

Is everybody very sure that nothing I'm thinking of exists, with one end plugging into the car's ISO and the other two plugging into 12V power and headphone jack?
                              Yes, we're sure.
                              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
                              X