First Car Computer Advise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Car Computer Advise

So looking to build a system for my new TC and was looking to get some advice, as to whether i should look at the pre built packages or try and put one together my self. Also what all do I need if I were to put it together my self (mainly in the cable area). To start off just looking for something for music, dvds, and navigation, but would like it to be able to expand in the future for things like multiple screens and control over other things in the car.

As for what parts I need this is what I was thinking but im pretty sure im missing something:
    Case
    Harddrive
    Screen
    Memory
    Motherboard
    DVD drive
    Cables(this is where its different from a normal PC for me and dont know what to get)
    software (not sure what all i need)

Any help and building the list would be appreciated

When i 1st joined i read these two links thorougly ::

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advfaq.php

http://www.mp3car.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I was able to put a pc in my car with much ease after that.
    trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Comment

yup, unlike most forums, the faq's actually have useful info there

every install is different, but most installs use usb cable extensions, and vga cable extensions.

wheather getting a prebuilt system, or building it yourself is kind of up to you-- some people just like to install it and go, others like to pour blood, sweat, and tears into it, and then go.
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

So started looking into it and got an idea but want some input before i commit and buy everything (mainly cause something is bound to not mesh right) so here are the current parts im looking at, let me know if something wont work or have a better suggestion. havent figured out everything yet so feel free to suggest changes. Thanks

Comment

that is kind of a large processor for most car computing.

most of the time, a atom processor will do the job just fine(those boards are a little cheaper, and less power hungry also)

i run a pentium dual core, but only because i have some heavy audio processing to do that the atom couldn't keep up with (i ran a atom at first, and it worked great, until i threw audio processing at it).

also, didn't see a power supply listed-- you might have trouble powering a processor that big, but will need to check the power supply ratings against the available dc-dc offerings outputs.

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

Updated the motherboard/processor, and dont have a power supply or screen yet cause not sure what to get, advise appreciated

Comment

the pine trail atom should be pretty yummy. I'd go with an m2-atx or m4-atx for the psu. I'd also try to invest in a faster drive. Your boot times will appreciate it .
              Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
              Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
              Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

that motherboard looks a little better, and i imagine that it would work good, i just don't trust the passive cooling...

the power supply is kind of dependant on budget, and motherboard power requirements. if you have the space and the money, i like the m4/dsatx because you can upgrade later on without changing the power supply, but if money is tight, it is best to get only what you need for your selection of motherboard.

something i didn't notice before--what case is that? if that is the double din one made by bybyte, then you aren't going to find much that will fit it--that case only accepts pico-itx motherboards, and will not work with mini-itx motherboards..

also, you will want to triple check the depth of your dash-- in my 01 eclipse, i had 10", but needed 13" to fit a mini-itx, and still allow the cables to be routed(you might be able to get it down to 10-11" with using right angle cables, but it is still tight-- and don't forget that the screen will take up about 1.5-2"). from what i have been told, most dashes aren't as deep as that though, so it could be a issue.

check out the bracket that i had made, and after it didn't work, sold to member tbird2340 for his dodge:
                http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...-please-7.html

he ended up building a second tier for hdd and power supply, so if you look around that thread, you can see the end product-- i think he might have used a heavy foot on a couple of parts to make them fit!

to add to tripzero's comments-- i use a 7200rpm drive to boost boot times-- there is a noticable difference between boot times of a 5400, and 7200 rpm drive, but, if you can afford it ssd is even faster

next project? subaru brz
                carpc undecided

Comment

Im planning on installing the hardware somewhere else and not in the dash and running cables to the front, as for the case its suppose to be for Mini ITX so should work, ill double check though. Thanks for the help on the power supply and recommend faster drive ill look into that

Comment

If you are creative and/or handy, you can go without a case or fabricate your own.
                    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

So is it possible to have it set up to where it can control the HVAC system

Comment

Originally posted by NightJumper View Post
                        So is it possible to have it set up to where it can control the HVAC system
                        Yes, it is possible. But it depends on your system and how it's controlled. For example, many control their hvac through a relay system using something like the fusionbrain. Others can control their HVAC by sending messages across the CAN Bus. Depends on your car.
                        Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                        Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                        Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Opinions on this screen, looking for something less than 200
                          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en

Comment

Originally posted by NightJumper View Post
                            Opinions on this screen, looking for something less than 200
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en
                            Well one thing to think of is, what do you plan on doing with your car PC ? Think of the things you do with your house PC and think, can I do that while driving ? Think of peripherals you can use which will make interacting with your car PC as less distracting as possible.

As far as hardware, you do not have to drop top dollar and purchase the most top of the line hardware. From experience, when you install a PC into vehicle you really limit it's uses. This is not a bad thing. You will be able to tweak and refine your setup to perform a few task admirably. With my setup, it is based off of a Pentium 2 @ 400 Mhz with 640MB of RAM. I have about 200GB of total storage. Some may think why so old, well I run Streets and Trips 2K9, Windows Media Player 11, WiFi, GPS, DVD playback, Divx playback and Windows XP really with no problems at all. I have benchmarked my machine against more modern platforms 1Ghz and up and really seen no "real world diffrence" accept for maybe longer loading times. The monitor I use is an older 15" Compaq LCD monitor. I popped the the plastic off the monitor and painted it all black with a textured finish. The mouse and keyboard have been reduced to a 3"x5" touch pad and qwerty keyboard combo.

Some issues you may come up against will be EMI and RFI ground noise, aesthetics and "How and the heck am I going to power all this ?". I went with a 400 WATT DC to AC inverter. I connected the positive line directly to the battery and the ground (negative) to the vehicle frame. Remember to use heavy guage wire, proper electircal fittings and connections and at a minimum place a fuse on the inverters positive lead at the battery. Use a fused power strip with the inverters 110V AC outlets. If you have experience with installing car audio installation some of this may be second nature.

The people on this forum are very helpfull. They put up with me for a long time but I was able to teach myself alot and I pulled off a pretty decent installation.

As a side not, make a call to your state and local police and inquire about any laws or ordinances in place in regards to moving pictures and or computers in a vehicle. Hate to see you jump into this and find out it may be illegal where you live.

Comment

So i found a possible monitor that is pretty good the only thing is its for home use so it has a normal power outlet to power it, how would i go about powering that

Comment

Working...
                              X