No announcement yet.

how are you getting internet access ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how are you getting internet access ??

i was wondering on how some of you guys are getting internet access ? i just installed a old dell desktop i had lying around in my truck and as far as it turning on and thing its good now i want to get all i can get out of it lol and looking on this forum for da past few months and seeing what can be done is crazy !! any advice ?

right now my main concern is internet access , obd 2 to pc interface , as for a front end im gonna try ride runner , i also have microsft street n trips gps software w/ gps locator which should come in today

wifi-it only costs you the dongle, and plenty of places have free wifi...

in my area, i can drive to work, and have a connection at least half the trip...
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

cool thanks , i just saw one for like $30 on amazon , so this is the best way to gain access ?

Comment

wow, thought this thread would've gotten more responses than this...

most use wifi, or a cat5 from the house for temporary updating internet(the cat5 methos is getting more rare though), some teather to their phones for internet, and some use the 3g usb cards to get internet.

imo, wifi, or the cat5 method is the cheapest. the reality is that, as a driver, you will very rarely need internet while in motion, unless you consisitantly have passengers that need to look something up, or feel that you must stream internet radio.

i would recommend a wifi dongle with a replaceable antenna so that you can extend it and move it around the car for the best reception if needed-- the last one i picked up, i think cost about $60. but any wifi dongle will work fine-- wireless 'b' and 'g' is the most common, so make sure that it at least picks up those 2 bands to get the most use out of it away from home.

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

I use a V3xx that I tether to my car. I use the $15.00 AT&T plan, media unlimited. Not sure if it's still available, you never know with AT&T. I don't use it much, so I never have problems with that. Mostly I use it to refresh a news site, or get the scores, or traffic updates. I can stream video from netflix, though, it works, but I simply don't need to use it much. My five year old can watch Mulan and Tom&Jerry for hours, but this is not going to last.

For windows updates and stuff, I use a CAT5 from the house, I had to buy one of those ethernet over powerlines thing because the wife hated the 100' cat5 cable around the house on the weekends.

I also use wi-fi, it's useless in my garage when a gigabit ethernet is so much faster, but when I go to the city, it's very useful, there's a fast hot spot everywhere, specially when the wife is on the car, she likes to browse a lot. It's cool to get craigslist ads, garage sales on a Saturday morning directly on the car and just have a real time view of what's on.
          Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
          Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

I have a really long ethernet cable running from my house.
            Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
            Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
            Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

thanks for the help guys , i think ima gonna try the wifi dongle out since i really dont want to get into any kind of service plan lol
              and will my gps work if im not connected ?

thanks again

Comment

the gps will work as long as it doesn't need a internet connection-- and i don't believe taht s&t requires one

next project? subaru brz
                carpc undecided

Comment

I use a few different methods:
                  1. GPRS - Automatically connect using GPRS and my cellphone (Fine for updating weather and gas prices)
                  2. Tether - Use Joikuspot application on my Nokia N95 (creates a normal WiFi hotspot) I sometimes use this when I'm in an area that has 3G coverage.
                  3. Wi-Fi - Use the wifi on my ION mobo, connected to an external antenna to connect to my home network from my garage

Comment

Depending on where you live and drive, you could check into clear wireless.

I have a plan for $55 per month which includes an access point with 6MB/s access for my home, and another USB unit with comparable speed for my vehicle.

Sadly it's not as reliable as 3G or EVDO. But when it works it's fast, unlimited, and inexpensive.

Comment

I use my Nexus one .
                      I cancelled my verizon mifi cuz i rarely used it. PLus i cudnt justify the $60/mth bill.

I use PdaNet to tehter my phone to the pc.
                      with the phone, i can either use 3g or wifi when i am home.
                      either the phone or pdanet is smart to know which is the fastest connection and use that one.
                      thus i do not even need to purchase a wifi dongle.

i love convergence.
                      trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Comment

Tether with USB or WMWifiRouter through my Touch Pro2 with Verizon

Comment

Originally posted by erosa7 View Post
                          cool thanks , i just saw one for like $30 on amazon , so this is the best way to gain access ?
                          That's too much. Just get one of these. Works great. I also tether to my cell when there's no wifi or when moving.

Comment

What do yall think about this for your wifi http://cgi.ebay.com/Newly-WiFi-Outdo...15670533236350 ? I know it's kinda big but i drive a Excursion with 12" lift with 40" tires so it wont look so bad if you even see it. Comments are appreciated

Comment

jailbroken iphone + mywi = mobile hotspot for 3g on carputer
                              My CarPC Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR

Comment

Working...
                              X