Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wanting Double DIN, but also FM on car pc?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wanting Double DIN, but also FM on car pc?

Hello,

I have a 2006 Subaru Impreza that only has 2 DIN spaces. I've thought of the single DIN screen tied into an aftermarket deck, but I hate the look of two seperate devices.

So I'm thinking of the following:

Centrafuse 3 +
    Double Din screen (I'll pick the model later)
    probably the new Habey BIS-6620-I (z510) pc
    and I intend on running GPS, SIRIUS satelite, Bluetooth, and I would like to have FM radio available as well.

The question I have is around the FM tuning, and how to drive that sound adequately for my car without a dedicated deck ?

I know I need to get an FM Tuner (probably the CarTFT FM Tuner), with the adapter to fit my stock antennae.

My big problem is how to run the audio so that i'm not driving all 4 doors (which are 6"+tweeter) and future subwoofer off of the pc (which I know isn't enough power at all).

Any suggestions / help / pointers / thread links are very welcome on this.

Spyrule

search the audio forums for different solutions

-boiled down-
    regular head unit [+'s = cheap, fm tuner, easy -'s = too easy]
    automotive amplifier [+'s = common, most wattage, -'s = wiring, placement,]
    motorcycle amps [+'s small, some tiny diy kits, -'s ?quality?, low wattage]

foreseeable issues:

shut down controller
    running out of usb port fast
    ?dvi connector? ...maybe

Comment

For FM get the VISTEON HDZ300 or DIRECTED DMHD1000 HD radio tuner and use Mitch's adapter (this thread). For amplification, the simple way is to just use a multi channel amp to run to all your speakers, they come in all sizes.

Comment

except on the directed units its a common issue to not get fm stations above 100 or am stations at all. i didnt find this out until after i installed and couldnt listen to my favorite stations...then google and bam there the issue was
        CarPc Progress
        Planning 100%
        Assembly & Fabwork 80%
        Installation 95%
        Bugs worked out 45%

Comment

Sadly I live in Canada, and HD radio doesn't exist up here in the same bandwidth as the US (the morons here in charge, thought it would be a good idea to use a format from EUROPE!... >< ) Besides I like my sat radio, I just want local FM tuner that won't break the bank.

And the fact that as ShortyDoo said, limited success above 100Mhz channel freq. I don't listen to AM at all, so that I don't care about.

So I'm going to do a 4 way Amp (probably Alpine, as my speakers are from them as well, most likely a Alpine MRP-F300 ).

Hopefully I can find an elequant solution to the FM radio issue.

Comment

Originally posted by ShortyDoo View Post
            except on the directed units its a common issue to not get fm stations above 100 or am stations at all. i didnt find this out until after i installed and couldnt listen to my favorite stations...then google and bam there the issue was
            Really? I've never heard of this happening. I did a quick google, but did not find anything...maybe I didn't use the right search words? I have one, but haven't installed it yet so I can't tell you if this is happening to me.

Comment

Originally posted by spyrule View Post
              Sadly I live in Canada, and HD radio doesn't exist up here in the same bandwidth as the US (the morons here in charge, thought it would be a good idea to use a format from EUROPE!... >< ) Besides I like my sat radio, I just want local FM tuner that won't break the bank.

And the fact that as ShortyDoo said, limited success above 100Mhz channel freq. I don't listen to AM at all, so that I don't care about.

So I'm going to do a 4 way Amp (probably Alpine, as my speakers are from them as well, most likely a Alpine MRP-F300 ).

Hopefully I can find an elequant solution to the FM radio issue.
              You can still use the Directed unit. It's designed with HD radio in mind, but can tune in regular FM stations as well. It's basically just an add-on tuner.

I'm not sure what you mean about a format from Europe. I thought the Americas (including Canada) were using the odd frequencies, ie 99.5 99.7 etc. If that's the case the Directed unit should work.

Comment

Originally posted by black_mamba View Post
                You can still use the Directed unit. It's designed with HD radio in mind, but can tune in regular FM stations as well. It's basically just an add-on tuner.

I'm not sure what you mean about a format from Europe. I thought the Americas (including Canada) were using the odd frequencies, ie 99.5 99.7 etc. If that's the case the Directed unit should work.
                The problem isn't the frequency itself, it's the decoding format. The US is the ONLY country currently to use the IBOC format (In-Band On-Channel format). The rest of the world (including Canada) have officially approved a format called Eureka-147 DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) format.

The DAB format is considerably better in the fact that every channel has it's own true bandwidth, whereas in the US it a much narrower band-channel and has limited expansion (ie: no nation wide channels).

So, unfortunately 99% of most current HD Radio hardware is designed for the IBOC format here in North America... which excludes it's functionality in Canada.

Sad... but true.

Spyrule.

Comment

On a side question... amplifier decision:

Alpine MRP-F300

Or

Rockford Fosgate Punch P400-4

Connected to Alpine 6 1/2" Component set in the front, and Alpine 6 1/2" speakers in the back.

I plan on eventually having a sub with it's own small AMP seperate (but that's down the road).

- Spyrule

Comment

[...] So, unfortunately 99% of most current HD Radio hardware is designed for the IBOC format here in North America... which excludes it's functionality in Canada.
                    [...]
                    Thanks for pointing out another reason why it sucks to be Canadian. Thankfully...you still for XM as an option. Good luck with the Habey BIS-6620-I; this looks like a real contender if you can install it successfully. I Hope you'll post a worklog and give us a review.

Comment

On a side question... amplifier decision:

Alpine MRP-F300

Or

Rockford Fosgate Punch P400-4

Connected to Alpine 6 1/2" Component set in the front, and Alpine 6 1/2" speakers in the back.

I plan on eventually having a sub with it's own small AMP seperate (but that's down the road).

- Spyrule
                      my $0.05..(3 more than you want, 5 more than you need )

either amp shold work fine for normal speakers-- it is kind of personal preferance-- i don't think that you will be able to tell too much of a difference between the 2 in a blind test.

as for the pro's/cons: a auto amp is typically more expensive than a small 'motorcycle' amp, but usually makes much more power, but are much larger, but the motorcycle amps are reported to be just as good as factory stereos, and are usually less than $100 for a 4 channel version...

the choice is yours (i don't give brand suggestions for audio equipment-- audio is too subjective to get a reliable opinion in most cases--i prefer to give advice that allows you to make your own decision-- then you can't blame me when it isn't what you want )
                      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                        as for the pro's/cons: a auto amp is typically more expensive than a small 'motorcycle' amp, but usually makes much more power, but are much larger, but the motorcycle amps are reported to be just as good as factory stereos, and are usually less than $100 for a 4 channel version...
                        Any suggestion on a good quality 4 channel motorcycle amp?

(I have to admit, I never thought of this as a solution, so I've done zero research)... some direction/suggestions are welcome.

-Spyrule.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus50 View Post
                          Thanks for pointing out another reason why it sucks to be Canadian. Thankfully...you still for XM as an option. Good luck with the Habey BIS-6620-I; this looks like a real contender if you can install it successfully. I Hope you'll post a worklog and give us a review.
                          Well actually if you think about it, it's another reason to loath the US, since they are the ones who don't follow the standards that the rest of the world follows.... ya know... sorta like metric vs standard,whaddya know... another unique standard for USA only.... just a thought....

And you sound like getting the Habey to work is a problem... is there something I don't know about that I'm missing?

- Spyrule.

p.s. - Btw, up here in igloo land, it's Sirius satelite, not XM.

Comment

Working...
                          X