What to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do?

Well im new to this forum and i just recently bought an 06 cobalt ls and i am undecided on what i should do. I am not sure whether i should fab an ipad into my dash or get a carputer or just a double din all in one headunit. i really want an ipad but i feel like the gps isnt going to be as good as it would be on a double din. the carputers are nice but they are rather expensive.

Any advice will help

IMO, an actual CarPC will be a lot more flexible than an iPad would be, but that's just me.
    After a 2 year break, I'm back! There are so many new and familiar faces here!
    New vehicle, new ideas!

Chryssi - The Changeling CarPC Project

Comment

It really worth it considering the price difference?

Comment

It depends on what you want your setup to do.....try posting that and we can point you in the right direction.
        openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
        - Always Recruiting Developers -
        Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

search for your car in the worklog/show off project section and see what others did

Comment

actually, the price of a ipad install can be very competitive to a basic carputer:

estimated prices:

ipad install:
            ipad $500 for basic model
            charger:$30
            audio cable $6
            total:$536 roughly

basic carpc(no case):
            atom motherboard $90
            667 ram $25
            80gb, 2.5"hdd $37
            m2 power supply$ $68
            lilli 701 screen $165
            audio cable $6
            total: $391

for the car computer, you will probably still need to add some usb devices, and misc cables, bringing the overall install cost closer to my estimated ipad install cost..

but being that you are considering not going with a car computer, i would say to go the easy route with a ipad install-- i am not convinced that you are ready for the upkeep and setup of a carputer.
            My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
            "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
              actually, the price of a ipad install can be very competitive to a basic carputer:

estimated prices:

ipad install:
              ipad $500 for basic model
              charger:$30
              audio cable $6
              total:$536 roughly

basic carpc(no case):
              atom motherboard $90
              667 ram $25
              80gb, 2.5"hdd $37
              m2 power supply$ $68
              lilli 701 screen $165
              audio cable $6
              total: $391

for the car computer, you will probably still need to add some usb devices, and misc cables, bringing the overall install cost closer to my estimated ipad install cost..

but being that you are considering not going with a car computer, i would say to go the easy route with a ipad install-- i am not convinced that you are ready for the upkeep and setup of a carputer.
              if i was going to do a carputer i would go with a mac mini. I HATE WINDOWS. i just dont know which one is worth it. i think both are but i am undecided on which one. i like the ipad because everything is right there. id have to run 1 cord and thats it.

Comment

And with an iPad, you're limited to what you can do with it. Examples:

Case and point: A real PC in your ride can have an internet connection for hands-free Skype calls and your GPS navigation software can still provide directions.

Multitasking on an iPad? Is there an app for that?
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post

Case and point: A real PC in your ride can have an internet connection for hands-free Skype calls and your GPS navigation software can still provide directions.

i dont use Skype

yeah ipad ships with OS 4.0. Multitasking being one of the key features in the new update.

if i were to do a carPC I would use a mac mini because its not a windows based pc

Comment

It sounds to me like you are looking for a simple and quick install. If that is the case I would go with the Ipad.

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
                      It depends on what you want your setup to do.....try posting that and we can point you in the right direction.
                      This.

For the lighter user (which it sounds like you are), both traditional carputer and iPad will provide the functionality you're looking for. If you want to get into data logging and video capture and other projects that people have done, you're looking exclusively at a carputer.

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                      So so so true.

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post

Wow. Ignore him.

"An iPad in your ride can have an internet connection for hands-free Skype calls and your GPS navigation software can still provide directions.

Multitasking on an iPad... it was announced months ago and will be here with OS4.0. There are even apps that do it now."

That's how it should have read.

OP, check some of the build threads, both in/out of the iPad/Mac forum and see what your needs/wants are. As much as you hate windows, macs are behind the curve in terms of front end solutions. You wouldnt' be seeing the traditional "windows," you'd be seeing the front end software.

Comment

Working...
                      X