Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help building my first car pc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help building my first car pc

    Like most people, this is my first carpc mod. I'm not all to sure if this whole thing will work the way I am hoping so I thought I would ask the pros.

    I am going to be running an old Pentium 3 PC as my base. I have a stripped down version of XP running RideRunner. That is all pretty stable. My only concern is the start up and shutdown of the PC via ignition. I'm looking at purchasing this:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

    I am wanting to know if this will work with the ignition to shutdown and start up my carpc. If it will do that then great, I would really be happy though if it would put my comp in sleep/ hibernation to make startup faster. Either way I'd be happy.

    Now for the screen I am looking at this 7" touchscreen:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

    Its VGA so I'm sure it will work just fine. Thats not a concern.

    As for my final question,I want be be able to listen to the radio, what plugin and device would I need to get to be able to do this? I know that RideRunner has plugins, but I'm lost to know what is compatible.

    Thanks. Let me know what you think!

  • #2
    the power supply should work fine-- you setup how the computer reacts to a power button press(what the power supply simulates on ign. on/off) in the control panel settings.

    for a screen, i think that one should work fine.

    i don't use radio, so don't know much about them-- but you can always read throught the rr section to find what everyone is using.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


    next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

    Comment


    • #3
      Check out the mp3car store. They have the m2 for a better price
      GMC Worklog

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks. Ill check it out the power button. Ill look at the store. Does anyone else have a clue about the radio?

        Comment


        • #5
          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

          hi,man. i saw your adapter too much expensive...........hu...
          72$...it only needs 90RMB in China.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by nateleduc View Post
            I am going to be running an old Pentium 3 PC as my base. I have a stripped down version of XP running RideRunner. That is all pretty stable. My only concern is the start up and shutdown of the PC via ignition. I'm looking at purchasing this:

            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

            I am wanting to know if this will work with the ignition to shutdown and start up my carpc. If it will do that then great, I would really be happy though if it would put my comp in sleep/ hibernation to make startup faster. Either way I'd be happy.
            That will be fine. Once you get your car PC built, go to your power settings and change the action for the power button to "Hibernate". Then, whenever you turn your car PC off, your car PC will hibernate.


            Originally posted by nateleduc View Post
            Now for the screen I am looking at this 7" touchscreen:

            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

            Its VGA so I'm sure it will work just fine. Thats not a concern.
            Should be fine. It's a decent price for a VGA LCD screen. Try to see one in action if you can. If you're not happy with it, go get a Xenarc or a Lilliput screen.


            Originally posted by nateleduc View Post
            As for my final question,I want be be able to listen to the radio, what plugin and device would I need to get to be able to do this? I know that RideRunner has plugins, but I'm lost to know what is compatible.

            Thanks. Let me know what you think!
            Get a USB FM radio and see if you can embed its software into RR. As soundman98 said, check out the RR section in the forums and they'll be able to help you decide which USB FM radio to buy and which software to use with it.
            2007 Camry Altise In-dash Car PC

            Comment

            Working...
            X