Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carputer - The Next Generation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Carputer - The Next Generation

    So I built my carputer in 2004 and I've pretty much kept it going until about now. It's still going strong, but I wanted to put a few new software updates to it and now my hardware is clearly obsolete. With a tight budget I want to salvage my parts if I can, especially the case.
    Here's my current setup:

    Morex 3688 Case
    M1-ATX DC-DC Power
    M10000 Mobo
    512MB RAM
    IDE HDD

    I'm thinking of upgrading with an ASUS ATOM board. Not sure which one to go with just yet. I think right now my main concern is the height of the heatsink and will it still be able to fit in the Morex case. If it can't, does anyone know what can? And I think I'm gonna need to upgrade those other elements too, M2-ATX or M3-ATX?

  • #2
    I have no idea about the Morex case, so I will let others take care of that.

    As for M2 vs. M3, I have both and personally I do not care for the M3. The M2 definately has more options as far as soft/hard off delays. (Without the little programming cable)
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

    Comment


    • #3
      I'll second that. The M2 is a very good reliable power supply and is sufficient for most car PC installations.

      Have you considered mini-ITX boards? Intel makes a few of them, some of which have the processor soldered to the board. I'm using one and it's great Zotac also make some very good ones with plenty of features (HDMI, optical audio out, onboard wifi, etc.) so those are a great option if you're tight on space.

      Of course, you can great creative and remove the heatsink and design your own thermal management solution.
      2007 Camry Altise In-dash Car PC

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm currently considering ASUS's mini-ITX AT5NM10-I board. It looks like a sufficiently fast enough CPU (the M10000 was good enough) and able to handle the basics of music, GPS, bluetooth, and the like. I think the power consumption should be low too, so the M2 is good enough for me.

        The case that I have is a Morex 3688


        As you can see, the vertical clearance is not much. Basically my old board's components could not exceed the height of the stick of RAM. So I was wondering if the AT5NM10-I board could fit in that case. I haven't seen any pictures for it to see.

        Comment


        • #5
          I have this case, and the inside is TIGHT. I'd be surprised if the ASUS Atom board would fit without replacing the heatsinks.
          Tidder

          Try RevFE
          The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.


          I Wish I could ban people

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Tidder View Post
            I have this case, and the inside is TIGHT. I'd be surprised if the ASUS Atom board would fit without replacing the heatsinks.
            As long as the heatsink does not pass the I/O shield, we would be in good shape. By the looks of this video, I think it is ok.

            Can the AT5NM10-I be powered by the M1-ATX? It would probably need the P4 plug which isn't native onboard the M1, but could be modified by molex connector? I'm not running a whole lot. Got a slim CDR/DVD, 2.5" SATA 7200rpm (10k? dunno, need to research), and usb devices (mouse, touchscreen, gps, bluetooth, wifi, etc.)

            Comment


            • #7
              The video that you linked to isn't the same motherboard? The AT5NM10 on newegg appears to have a bigger heatsink. I would think however for compatibility's sake, it still may not be taller than the IO shield.
              Tidder

              Try RevFE
              The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.


              I Wish I could ban people

              Comment


              • #8
                Ahh, yeah there should be plenty of space in there. I took mine apart and now remember why it was so cramped in there. I have a jetway motherboard in there with a PCMCIA daughter board. Everything felt so much closer to the top...

                I think it'll be fine.
                Tidder

                Try RevFE
                The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.


                I Wish I could ban people

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have ASUS AT3IONT-I Deluxe dual core atom mini itx board with just a small fan on heatsink. It fits inside an M350 case rather well I think. Uses 90 watt power brick.
                  Think you'd like it.

                  my setup uses:
                  MB - AT3IONT-I Deluxe
                  Memory - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
                  Hard drive - Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2BD/64GB
                  Case - M350

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                    The video that you linked to isn't the same motherboard? The AT5NM10 on newegg appears to have a bigger heatsink. I would think however for compatibility's sake, it still may not be taller than the IO shield.

                    Good eye! The difference between the two is the integrated ION features. There's more USB connects on the ION board versus the AT5NM10. But for my purposes the AT5NM10 would/should work. Good, I think I just might carry out this project. =)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jpng92 View Post
                      I have ASUS AT3IONT-I Deluxe dual core atom mini itx board with just a small fan on heatsink. It fits inside an M350 case rather well I think. Uses 90 watt power brick.
                      Think you'd like it.

                      my setup uses:
                      MB - AT3IONT-I Deluxe
                      Memory - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
                      Hard drive - Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2BD/64GB
                      Case - M350
                      I'll probably get the non-deluxe version if I go the ION route. I'd need to get a DC-DC smart PS to get the ignition trigger. The M1 did do it nicely. I'm wondering if I'll need to get an M2 for this new board.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The M2 is a great choice and is fairly compact. I think it will fit in your case quite nicely. It's very easy to setup.

                        Bear in mind that I have nothing else to compare it to because it's the only car PC PSU I've ever used.
                        2007 Camry Altise In-dash Car PC

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If you have an M1 and there is nothing wrong with it, then there is no reason to buy an M2 other than to help support the mp3car forums if you buy it through the store.

                          The new board will probably draw less power than your old system even though it is faster, and the benefit of the M2 is more power, not really extra features or stability.
                          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                            If you have an M1 and there is nothing wrong with it, then there is no reason to buy an M2 other than to help support the mp3car forums if you buy it through the store.

                            The new board will probably draw less power than your old system even though it is faster, and the benefit of the M2 is more power, not really extra features or stability.
                            TruckPC - gutted, being used for test setup
                            BoatPC - All in 1 in cuddy, N7 using VNC on dash, RR
                            BlazerPC - Nexus 7 with Timur's USBROM

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Fantastic! One less thing I have to buy, one less hassle. =) Thank you so much guys!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X