• Show
Clear All

• Carputer finally installed....but it won't boot

Title says it all, here's what I have:
    OPUS 120W PSU
    ON-OFF-ON switch with constant 12V and ACC from the stereo harness

Here's what I know:
    Power is getting to the 6 wire pigtail.
    PC won't boot with switch in any position.
    Switch from PSU to mobo is installed correctly.

That's about all I know. I'll try to answer any other questions as best as I can to solve this.
    PROGRESS:
    Hardware: 100%
    Software: 99% - Always upgrading and improving.
    Installation: 100%

WORKLOG:
    2005 F-150

try to isolate the problem, see if you can plug the mobo into a standard atx psu, and see if it'll boot.

Comment

It will.
      I was using an ATX PSU when I was testing and building my skin, then I brought it in again just to make sure I didn't fry anything while I was outside with it and it still works.

I'm about to remove the rocker switch and connect directly to the ACC and see what happens.
      PROGRESS:

WORKLOG:
      2005 F-150

Comment

You should have the mb wire connected to COMMON of the switch.
        VIA Pico ITX, M2-ATX clone, 7" Seform 800x480 LCD Touchscreen, Dual 2x75WRMS Mini Amps, IDE-CF & SATA-CF adapters, 8GB (Sys) & 32GB (MP3s) CF, ELMscan5USB, Slot-load DVD, Craig Brass DAB+/FM USB module, Odyssey Navigator
        Build 90% Apps 50% Install 10%

Comment

Originally posted by RevheadKev View Post
          You should have the mb wire connected to COMMON of the switch.
          It is...well was. I took it out of the equation completely and still no go. I origionally had constant 12V for getting gas or whatever (on right), ACC for normal use (on left) and off for valet (middle/off). The PSU was connected to the common. Now that it's removed it's a moot point anyways.

I also took the power connector out of the HDD and tested it with the truck running and am getting exactly 0V. It seems power is going into the PSU but not coming out.
          PROGRESS:

WORKLOG:
          2005 F-150

Comment

any error code (blinks) on the power supply?

Comment

Not that I can see. I'm not even sure where the LED is supposed to be. I can't tell by the manual or anything.
              PROGRESS:

WORKLOG:
              2005 F-150

Comment

there should be at least one light, if it aint on or blinking you could have a blown fuse, or broken psu.

Comment

Fuse on the PSU and under the hood still good. Guess I should call OPUS on Monday.
                  PROGRESS:

WORKLOG:
                  2005 F-150

Comment

OK, so you have 12V to the mb but what about the momentary input from the usual button ? Have you got that wire connected from the psu ?
                    VIA Pico ITX, M2-ATX clone, 7" Seform 800x480 LCD Touchscreen, Dual 2x75WRMS Mini Amps, IDE-CF & SATA-CF adapters, 8GB (Sys) & 32GB (MP3s) CF, ELMscan5USB, Slot-load DVD, Craig Brass DAB+/FM USB module, Odyssey Navigator
                    Build 90% Apps 50% Install 10%

Comment

Before we go there I figured something out. I just scoured my PSU for an LED and found it so I went outside now that it's darker and I know where I'm supposed to be looking and I noticed the LED on the mobo is on and the LED on the PSU is flashing about once ever 10 seconds which means "Battery voltage is below normal operating range."
                      That's an odd one since I have a tuner that connects to my ODBII and it measures my normal voltage as 11.5 default is 12.5 so it makes sense that it wouldn't boot then but I even started it up to bump it up to 14.5 and it still wouldn't start.

I'm going to adjust the jumpers tomorrow and see what happens.
                      PROGRESS:

WORKLOG:
                      2005 F-150

Comment

make sure your battery is above 12V just to be sure that you're not under the low voltage threshold.

Connect the psu to the car, make sure there is a valid acc/ign signal and power (check with volt meter).
                        for now you can connect the mb on/off switch to the case's button, and press power and see if you can start the computer.

Comment

I tested the ACC line with a multimeter and it's showing exactly the same as my tuner (11.47V), I adjusted the jumper to allow it to boot on 11V, and I used my desktop power button. Still no go.

EDIT: The PSU is now flashing twice, then 3 times, then it goes out for a few seconds. There's nothing in the manual about 2 then 3 so I'm assuming the issue is both 2: "The computer power up sequence failed." AND 3: "Power supply output voltages are out of normal voltage range."?

The solution to 2 is: "Check the wiring of the two wire power-switch cable from power supply connector J9 to power switch pins on the ATX motherboard. If connected properly check the polarity of the power switch pins, may be reversed."
                          That makes sense since I'm using the desktop push button the PSU one isn't even connected.

EDIT: Just to make sure, I reconnected the switch cable from the PSU and it got rid of the 2 flashes. Now I just have the 3.

The solution to 3 is: "Power supply output is over loaded or shorted or faulty DC-DC power supply. How would I go about fixing the first one?
                          PROGRESS:

WORKLOG:
                          2005 F-150

Comment

You need to determine the power draw of your system and make sure it doesn't draw more than the individual rails of the 120w Opus PSU.

Based on the specs in your worklog, I'm certain your PSU doesnt' have enough output to power your system, especially with that video chipset.
                            Also - Remember that AMD CPU's draw from the 5v rail, and the Opus 120w only provides 8A on the 5v rail.
                            8A x 5v = 40w.
                            Your CPU alone can draw more than that.

Yet another case of poor planning resulting in hardware that isn't compatible.
                            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                              Also - Remember that AMD CPU's draw from the 5v rail, and the Opus 120w only provides 8A on the 5v rail.
                              8A x 5v = 40w.
                              Your CPU alone can draw more than that.
                              Ya, 45W. I didn't know it used the 5V rail. I offered my PSU suggestion to others and they said it would be ok, so I went with it. Anyone want an OPUS 120W?
                              PROGRESS:

WORKLOG:
                              2005 F-150

Comment

Working...
                              X