Dangerous to run an amp with carPC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dangerous to run an amp with carPC?

Hey everybody. Currently I have a 500w amp & Subwoofer hooked up in my trunk. I want to power my CARPC using a Carnetix P2140 with a CAR2PC adapter to hook up my PC to the stereo system.

Does anyone see any problems with running this setup. I'm real new to carpc setups so I'm scared the amplifier may fry my pc or PSU somehow. My amp is already hooked up to the battery, not the negative terminal though its grounded somewhere in the trunk. If I run my leads (positive & negative) from the Carnetix PSU to the battery, will the PSU be receiving 500W from the amp as well b/c that could be bad.

no, the carpc will take whatever voltage it needs.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

There is no need for a distribution block rite? I've read u only need those when running more than one amplifier.

Comment

eh, that depends entirely on how you want it setup-- if you want the carpc to get power of the same wire as the amp, then you will need a distro block, but if you want to run separate wires for the carpc, and amp, then you don't.

also, you do not need to run the carpc ground all the way back to the battery-- just ground it to the nearest solid ground point.

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

yeah I was planning to keep the ground wire connected to my seat belt bolt on the passanger seat to keep wire as short as possible but on the carnetix forums some ppl have experienced problems doing this & fixed it by going directly to the battery. I'll see how mine goes.

The gauge of the positive & negative leads look pretty small in this pic. My amp's power line is probably double the thickness. Should I just extend those wires with the same gauge or is alrite to extend it with a thicker gauge wire? As far as I know u only need to add a fuse when going to a smaller gauge. Thanx for all the feedback, I'm almost ready to start ordering parts.

Comment

you should always fuse near the battery, but it will not hurt to use a larger gauge wire to extend the psu's wires.

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

In addition, a seat bolt isn't the best choice for a grounding point in most cases.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

As long as its sanded down and bolted directly to floor whats wrong with that it should be grounded pretty good?

What do you usually hook up your ground wires to?

Comment

In order to get a resistance measurement from my volt meter do I have to run a negative lead all the way from the battery back to the prong on the volt meter in order to complete the circuit?

I want to see exactly where the best spot would be to ground as many people are divided about grounded to seat belt bolts, others recommend using a screw from the console or stereo system.

Comment

My setup is grounded to a bolt directly into the chassis.
                    In my vehicle, there was a chassis mounting point for rear seat belts that is directly into the chassis, so it was convenient for me, as I didn't have to do any cutting.
                    It's sanded to bare metal, of course.
                    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

i prefer to use either factory grounding points, or create my own instead of using factory bolt points that were not intended for electrical grounding. but as long as it works for your install, i guess it doesn't matter..

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                      X