create media center for my truck.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• create media center for my truck.

Hello, I am very new to using forums as I normally can search around the web and find the answers for most of my questions. This time I found myself in un-charted waters.

I have a Asus eee 2g pc. It came pre-installed with a micro version of Linux. First thing I did was to delete the partitions on the c:, create 1 primary partition and format it. I then installed Windows xp pro from a usb flash drive and installed all the system hardware listed in the device manager.

I have a 1985 ford f-150, these trucks have huge dash boards and I thought a good project would be to open the dash and install this mini laptop into the dash, add some usb extenders and a wireless finger mouse.
    The 7 inch screen of this laptop is all that will be exposed from the dash. I want to use this laptop in my dash as a complete media center for my truck, as well as a gps through usb.

At this point I am nearly ready to install the laptop into the dash, but 1 problem is still kicking me. But i need to slightly explain it first..

I have the car charger for this laptop, it only runs at 9 volts. I want to wire the car charger from my ignition switch so the laptop would not consume battery power from my truck when not in use. The problem im having is getting the laptop to go into standby or hibernation when the truck key is off, and then come back out of standby or hibernation when I start the truck.
    Ia am install all but the 7 inch screen into the dash, so the keyboard and power button will both be unavailable. I found on this site where a guy had made a small piece of software to do just about what im working on, I downloaded it and clicked to open the .exe, and I just get the windows error tone and a error box telling me this "the application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135) click ok to terminate the application."
    So Im stuck at this point.

so far just using the windows battery option I can get the laptop to go into standby/hibernation in 1 min after i turn my key off, but it wont auto start up when i turn the key back on.

I have also read online about soldering 2 wires to the power button, but I know I would make a mess out of the laptop trying to solder anything to the motherboard. So this software option is the best i have found. Can anyone please give me some insight as to why this error happens and why I cannot install this software to make the laptop come out of hibernation when i start my truck? Please? Thanks in advance.

Kyresearcher

Doug

Anyone? please?

Comment

eeepc 2g is going to give you big headaches trying to be a media center pc for your truck, you should have at least a dual core atom and sometimes that can get taxed for power with stock intel video chip. if you go the ion route with that 330 atom or above video will be no problem. start reading these forums to see what most are using. give that 2g to some needy kid hope this helps SNO

Comment

I understand completely what you are saying, but I am having no problem as far as performance and power goes, The only problem im having is getting the laptop to wake from standby when ac power has been reintroduced. Any idea how to get it to that?

Thanks for the reply btw

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advfaq.php
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Sorry Darque, couldn't help myself from spoonfeeeding.

Ky, I think this is what you're looking for...

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/rr-r...l-24oct09.html
            TruckPC - gutted, being used for test setup
            BoatPC - All in 1 in cuddy, N7 using VNC on dash, RR
            BlazerPC - Nexus 7 with Timur's USBROM

Comment

thanks but its still not what i need

Windows xp by itself will set the laptop into standby bu itself without any other software to do it, problem is getting the laptop to come back out of standby when the ac power is returned. I wont be able to use the power button on the laptop as it will be buried in the dash, so power button will not be accessible at all. I need the laptop to come out of standby when ac power is reintroduced.

Comment

usually in the PC bios settings there is a setting for what to do when power resumes. my PCs are all set up to power back on, this is a must have in the CarPC world.
                TruckPC - gutted, being used for test setup
                BoatPC - All in 1 in cuddy, N7 using VNC on dash, RR
                BlazerPC - Nexus 7 with Timur's USBROM

Comment

My asus eee 2g laptop

Just checked the bois, and I dont have a power tab or power options at all that I could find.

Comment

Working...
                  X