Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to power a LCD monitor without DVD 9pin mini din cable

Hi.

I have a Hyundai HDPD1 DVD player with 2 Headrest Monitor unit, and wanted to get rid of the DVD player since I stood on it, and use another unit but still use the monitors.

The monitors have a RCA aux in on each of them, so I thought I could just cut the 9pin mini-din cords, find the +ve and -ve wires, power it on that way, and use the aux in for the vision

However, I am an idiot.

I don't really know what I am doing, I have probably blown something with my "testing", wrong polarity etc etc, though there is a fuse in the unit that seems to be ok - it has a blob in the middle, but seems to be connected still

I also found some info on this thread

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/lcd-...9-pin-din.html

"You will want to connect the wire that is connected to the round metal circle to a 12 v dc ground. This will give you a ground for your power. The 9 pin is for +12 v power and of course connect this to the +12 v DC source and you should have power, this configuration will power the screen up however you will have no video. To resolve the issue you want to connect the #3 pin to the -12v DC or the Power Ground. This will put it a - pull and will take the screen out of standby mode allowing you to view the video on this screen"

Which may mean i should have two wires connected to my -9v DC Gnd and one to my +9v DC Power.

I tried connecting up many many combinations but have had no luck powering the screen.

Also I just realised that the DVD player takes +12V whilst the monitor says +9V on the back.

Basically - how can i power up this LCD?

-does anyone know which wires I need to Connect to power up the LCD?
    -can I power it without the DVD player? Without the IR signal line or remote line?
    -do i need +9v power, and a +12v remote/IR?
    -have i already fried the monitor with my fumblings
    - how can i figure it out, is there any process of elimination i can use?

Here are some pics which you guys might understand, also if i have fried it, can i replace the fuse? Or at least get the other one working to give me some sort of satisfaction before i burn the whole thing in a vat of hatred.

main dvd unit
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dvd.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	379.7 KB
ID:	2305654

9 pin at the back

Name:	pin.jpg
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	2305658

info on back of the lcd unit

Name:	back lcd.jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	2305653

the 9pin minidin destroyed
    there is a "inner core" which has a shield - I thought this may have been the positive and negative.

Name:	wires.jpg
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	2305659

inside the lcd
    you can see the aux input and the switch for the dvd to aux

Name:	inside lcd 1.jpg
Size:	344.0 KB
ID:	2305655

a closer look inside
    there is the power on/off switch on the side of the monitor - maybe i could hijack that, and some more gross speculation on what the wires do
    - the Inner core and outer core seem to go to differing spots. no idea what that means

Name:	internal lcd.jpg
Size:	440.0 KB
ID:	2305657

a closer look inside
    this is where you guys figure out what does what

Name:	internal lcd 2.jpg
Size:	464.0 KB
ID:	2305656