Motorized display and best sound.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorized display and best sound.

Hey everyone, hope you can help me. I want to install a touch-screen monitor in my car, but I want it to do what my old pioneer deck did. It had a tilt feature that would angle the face of the deck at 3 or 4 angles, and would tilt the face to espose the hidden cd drive. Is there anything like this to make a touch-screen do this? Could I hack apart my old Pioneer deck and use those pieces? I noticed that a lot of the Japanese double din decks have this feature, any advice?

Also, what is a great way of getting the absolute best sound from a computer? Would running the audio to a DAC, then to a sound processor, then to amplifier work best?

Thanks everyone.

Originally posted by dcmaidens View Post
    Hey everyone, hope you can help me. I want to install a touch-screen monitor in my car, but I want it to do what my old pioneer deck did. It had a tilt feature that would angle the face of the deck at 3 or 4 angles, and would tilt the face to espose the hidden cd drive. Is there anything like this to make a touch-screen do this? Could I hack apart my old Pioneer deck and use those pieces? I noticed that a lot of the Japanese double din decks have this feature, any advice?
    If this is what you REALLY want, be prepared to spend a lot of money for a piece with low build quality.
    There isn't a flip-out monitor that is reliable, as they use cheap plastic gears and are poorly engineered.
    None of the old-timers on these forums would recommend any of them.

There are double-DIN units that incorporate a 6" touchscreen and a CD drive that gets exposed when the screen tilts out (or down), but they are very expensive.

Also, what is a great way of getting the absolute best sound from a computer? Would running the audio to a DAC, then to a sound processor, then to amplifier work best?[/QUOTE]

This is a matter of debate, and you'll get different answers from different people. A DAC is a good way to go. If you have the computing horsepower, doing the audio processing on the PC is good, as well. High-end analog sound cards also produce quality sound.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

if your talking about the double din screens that motorize down, and side to side, i don't remember seeing any reviews on any of them-- i know i have seen them, and assume some people have bought them, but don't remember reading about any installs with them here, or ever seeing any reviews.

the point darque made on the plastic gears is a very common failure point of the dingle din motorized vga screens, but i haven't the slightest idea if the same design flaw is in those china units..

for audio-- the "best" is completely relative.

to some, just getting audio out of the computer, and into a stereo system is best.

to some, keeping all the crossovers in the computer is too much of a chance of messing up speakers, or they want to keep the audio processing separate, so they run a dac into a external audio processor..

to others, onboard carpc audio processing is best(like myself), so all that you need in addition to the pc is a multichannel sound card to output the signal to the amps

the best carpc audio setup is as subjective as the best set of speakers-- and if you have been anywhere near car audio, you should be familiar that there is no single 'best' setup-no matter how much you spend...

to some, a $10,000 speaker might sound like garbage, but the same people might praise a $5 speaker from walmart--that is the horrible beauty of car audio-- most of the time, the only critic that you need to impress is yourself.. (unless you compete, which is a whole different ballpark)
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
      X