Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laptop for car

hello,
    same question as the other guy.. what pc to use..
    i'm a car-puter noob looking at "broken" laptops for making a car computer.
    i'm thinking a working laptop with a dead display from damage or backlight etc might be had for a bargain.
    my question to that is if i remove the broken display will the computer work without it or does it require
    the display be attached?

depends on the laptop.

as for power needs-- you should expect to need about 900mhz-1ghz processor speed, and about 256-512mb of ram..
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

If you checkout my work log, I did exactly what you are asking with an HP laptop and it works fine without it.
      My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

Originally posted by PhilG View Post
        If you checkout my work log, I did exactly what you are asking with an HP laptop and it works fine without it.
        All laptops are different, though. Some will work without the attached display, others won't.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

also wondered if theres anything for detatching and extending the laptop display away from the base.

Comment

Don't forget a power supply.

Comment

remember-- there are no universal standards in internal laptop connections, meaning that manufacturers, if they feel so inclined will keep the same connector for most of their product line, otherwise, even a single producer will switch to different connections based on how much they can get them for, and what dimensions they need...

i know that some users have extended the Eeepc screens with cat5 cable, but other then that, you are kind of on your own...
              My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
              "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
              X